Old wounds not healed

• Old wounds not healed… Just in case the Tigers needed anymore reason for winning this weekend, I felt it was worthy to sight a paragraph from nrl.com about the dogs v tigers. Go the tigers!

The Balmain Tigers and Canterbury Bulldogs squared off for all the marbles in the 1988 grand final, but the game will always be remembered for the sneaky high shot Dogs five-eighth Terry Lamb put on the Tigers’ brilliant English import Ellery Hanley. A badly dazed Hanley tried to return after a brief stint in the ‘head-bin’ but was done for the afternoon and played no part in the second half. The Dogs led 10-8 at half-time and went on to win 24-12. Lamb wasn’t penalised or cautioned in any way and the incident was only captured clearly by one television camera.

• Hated Terry Lamb ever since.

• @:

Hated Terry Lamb ever since.

Yep, even when he was coach.

• I believe JRD is a big fan of Baa

• @:

@:

Hated Terry Lamb ever since.

Yep, even when he was coach.

Same - found it hard to support him. Luck he was such a great coach 😮

• Was only 2 years old when that happened but my dad often reminds when we play the bulldogs. Hes not a fan of lamb either as most posting on this topic aren’t.

• @:

Was only 2 years old when that happened but my dad often reminds when we play the bulldogs. Hes not a fan of lamb either as most posting on this topic aren’t.

Lamb was a grub …
    Masterminded the Hopoate stink finger prostrate examinations!

• @:

@:

Was only 2 years old when that happened but my dad often reminds when we play the bulldogs. Hes not a fan of lamb either as most posting on this topic aren’t.

Lamb was a grub …

Always got away with plenty as a player. I remember the Speechley incident. And later bashed someone on a golf course without provocation.

• I knew him before he became a first grade footballer.He was always a –- and has not changed

• Not until Benji Marshall had I seen a more exciting footballer for any form of the Tigers than Ellery Hanley. Arguably the strongest short-stint UK signing ever and turned every game with his power and speed.

Still the greatest footballer I’ve seen to come out of the Old Dart, and Tigers/Magpies have had a few of those over the years. Gareth Ellis close 2nd, Garry Schofield 3rd.

Interesting that both Hanley and Schofield played for Wests and Balmain, but no other Sydney clubs.

One of the few times I legitimately believe if a certain player hadn’t been injured early in the game, the outcome could have been quite different.

• Banned

Terry Lamb has been to a few of my little boys training session. Can’t say a bad word about him around the kids. He is there early and stays back after training. I did tell him I was dirty on him taking out Hanley, he said don’t worry karma got him back in the form of mal meninga in the bulldogs vs Canberra grand final.

• lee crooks also only played for wests and Balmain.
    hanley was fabulous for wests in his short stint here and of course the lamb - hanley incident
    changed that grand final outcome in the 80’s.
    I can go all the way back to the mick lubinskas ,where wests were diddled out of a win.
    but to be fair,wests and wests tigers have raided Canterbury teams over the years- mybe,
    McCracken,gilespie,etc so the dullbogs may have reason to feel angst against the joint venture.

• @:

@:

Lamb was a grub …

I dont think he masterminded it…condone probably a better word

Bulldogs Jnr, Chester Hill I think, Wests gave him his chance and he pissed off asap

• Met Terry Lamb a few times and he always seemed like a decent guy. Way better than some other NRL players and coaches.

He was also a gun in his Wests Magpies days.

• @:

Not until Benji Marshall had I seen a more exciting footballer for any form of the Tigers than Ellery Hanley. Arguably the strongest short-stint UK signing ever and turned every game with his power and speed.

Still the greatest footballer I’ve seen to come out of the Old Dart, and Tigers/Magpies have had a few of those over the years. Gareth Ellis close 2nd, Garry Schofield 3rd.

Interesting that both Hanley and Schofield played for Wests and Balmain, but no other Sydney clubs.

One of the few times I legitimately believe if a certain player hadn’t been injured early in the game, the outcome could have been quite different.

Yep. The impact he made on the team on the run to the finals was hard to believe - but he was in a class of his own.
    I know they say that it was not premeditated but gee it was hard not to think otherwise through Black and Gold eyes at the time.

Recent Topics