Mbye vs Ponga

• Think this is the key match up for the game. Let’s hope Mbye get some on top of Ponga on Friday

• That’s cute - Ponga is twice the player but Mbye is still good

It’ll be Brooks vs Pearce as the key match-up

• Pearce is another one of those players who seems to have his best games against us and SKD scores the miracle try.

• @:

That’s cute - Ponga is twice the player but Mbye is still good

Ponga is also twice the price so I hope he’s twice the player.

And I think the match up will be the forwards and their attitude. It won’t be half v half or 6 v 6 or outside backs. If our best forwards available turned up with a hard work attitude, we would beat this mob by 40. If not, it will be the other way around.

Imagine if Sue turns up for another one of his once a year games, packer gets angry, matulino runs straight and hard, eisenhuth tackles his bum off, and twal works his ring out. They won’t touch us.

• @:

@:

And I think the match up will be the forwards and their attitude. It won’t be half v half or 6 v 6 or outside backs. If our best forwards available turned up with a hard work attitude, we would beat this mob by 40. If not, it will be the other way around.

Imagine if Sue turns up for another one of his once a year games, packer gets angry, matulino runs straight and hard, eisenhuth tackles his bum off, and twal works his ring out. They won’t touch us.

I hate to do this but Mbye is on like 600-700 k here

While Ponga is on 700-800k at the Knights

I agree with your point about our forwards needing to smash them in order to win - there only threats really are Safiti and that ess’se bloke

• @:

@:

@:

I hate to do this but Mbye is on like 600-700 k here

While Ponga is on 700-800k at the Knights

I agree with your point about our forwards needing to smash them in order to win - there only threats really are Safiti and that ess’se bloke

You’re probably right, but Pongas original contract of 720K was confirmed recently by Nathan Brown as being over the 1Mil because of the extras with origin, first grade games etc.

Mbye on 700k? Hmmm….lucky we won’t paying the whole thing!

I can see Ponga doing something wild in a close game that gives them a win. Could do equally something silly to lose one too. I don’t think Mbye carries the X factor. Won’t win a game but won’t lose one either.

I’m like you mate, I want to see the big guys smash a few heads and leave doubt at the door.

• Ponga may not even be playing as he missed training yesterday with his ankle flaring up again.

• @:

@:

It may be cute, but it’s pretty well right.
    There’s a major gap between the two of them at theirbest

• Mbye not in the same league. The game will be won or lost in the middle, just like every other game.

• They are used totally differently. Ponga is the Knights main play maker, Mbye has only been used as a support player for us so far. That will change next year. Kalyn had a full pre season with his team mates whereas Moses has only been at the club a bit over a month.

• Ponga has a skill set beyond Mbye’s wildest dreams. Great signing by Newcastle.

Part of recruitment is identifying that sort of talent. Similar to Taylor and Arrow at the titans. We haven’t recruited similar in years

• @:

Ponga has a skill set beyond Mbye’s wildest dreams. Great signing by Newcastle.

Part of recruitment is identifying that sort of talent. Similar to Taylor and Arrow at the titans. We haven’t recruited similar in years

Twal and Aloiai are probably the closest we have to similar recruitment. Got to remember that we always wanted to grow our juniors up until Ivan turned up, so you might see that happen in future.

• I don’t understand how fullbacks match up.

It’s not all that often a fullback tackles a fullback.
    They don’t compete against each other at all really.
    It’s not like you can compete in the air anymore (Matt Cough… Moylan… Cough cough…Isako cough)

I’m more concerned about our powderpuff girls props matching up.

• Pearce our biggest problem. Has a way of making us look inept.

• Mbye is an attacking threat but not too much of a defensive asset

I put up comparison stats before he made the switch showing tackle effectiveness and seeing him so far he doesnt look like stopping anyone get over his own try line.

If he has to become a great fullback he will need to improve on that IMO

Recent Topics