Matt Cecchin to retire

Probably came from posters on here the way some carry on.

What a shame that someone has to retire from the career he has as an NRL ref because of death threats against him…people who do that must be very shallow or have lost money on games…don’t blame the ref for an error,they are human as we are passionate about our club and the game itself…after all it is a game,we the WTs have had the rough end of the pineapple a few times and have been disgruntled by certain decisions,however threatening a mans family as well is the lowest thing anyone can do over a game…

Being angry about a decision is one thing threatening women and kids is an entirely different situation that I simply despise…

That’s pretty sad tbh …

But when betting on games is allowed these type of situations will always occur .

His greatest call was in the 2005 Grand Final when he was a touchy and called an infringement on Halatau that prevented a cowboys try in the first half which arrested the cows momentum.

Pretty low act. Checchin is one of the better refs too

I blame Geo …,
Each week he’s :bash: the refs !

I think the Rabbitohs hate him the most

@:

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?

@:

Very sad if true , good ref in my opinion

The death threats are ridiculous

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-league/death-threats-and-ongoing-criticism-force-cecchin-to-quit-the-nrl/ar-BBLoYpy?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=ASUDHP

Without doubt the best going around at present by some distance. I am as guilty as most when my passion gets the better of me and I start bagging refs, but we will not have a game if we Force these refs to quit

@:

@:

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?

Those who protest the loudest.

Referees in all sports have always attracted criticism and always will it is part of the job.I thought he was one of the better refs in the game.Death threats to him and his family are quite disgraceful.
It is my belief that the close ties between betting agencies and the NRL actually make the situation worse for refs because of the perception that potentialy comes from the link.
I wish him well for the future

@:

Social media and the internet generally has made it something quite different to shouting from the sidelines. Getting access to someone via Twitter or their mobile number gives some people the belief they can say what they want with relative anonymity. How anyone can think that it’s okay to make death threats to someone they disagree with is beyond me.

There was a journalist on Twitter in the last couple of days receiving death threats because they were pro-plastic bag ban. No one should have to fear their life (or that of their families) because they’re in a job where they make decisions or have opinions that some people will disagree with.

@:

I blame Geo …,
Each week he’s :bash: the refs !

Yeah…

A mate of mine from Work up until last year was a First Grade Touch. He has done grand finals, State of Origins etc really rated Chechin as a ref and a bloke.

He tells of nepotism and politics in the NRL ranks thats really poisonous.

Being a REF is hard , We wouldnt have a game without em.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.