Matt Cecchin to retire

• Sad situation. The NRL has a lot to answer for. They have been way too reactive and have made the game increasingly complex.

As a result, refs are determining the outcome of games too often over trivial technicalities.

When there’s big money on the line, this is no surprise.

• As a Referee you know what your getting yourself into . The one thing that was pleasing was he never got abused about his Sexuality from players or fans in the crowd.

At the heat of the moment some will react the way they do with that World Cup Final decision he made , but making Death threats is absolutely disgusting and no doubt that would of played on his mind .
    The NRL has a lot to answer for the way they’ve told Ref’s to blow the pea out of the whistle for petty infringements and 2 Ref’s etc…. The game has really become a joke and that germ Greenberg is at the centre of all the problems in the game .

Maybe this Arena isn’t for Cecchin , Ref’s get abused all the time when going up the tunnel Right or Wrong ? is for every individual to decide…but paid Member’s have a right to voice there opinion’s , you just have to be mindful what you say not being to Personal or insulting as there is kids watching the game .

I feel for Cechin his had to overcome so many hurdles by the sounds of it and hope his in a good head space .

All the best Cecchin .

• @:

@:

@:

Probably came from posters on here the way some carry on.

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?

Those who protest the loudest.

I told you in another thread things at the NRL was gonna change.You laughed in my face.

• Feel for the bloke.

I don’t think any refs are on the take, their poor decisions frustrate me but to threaten him or his family is lower than a snakes gut.

• @:

@:

@:

@:

Probably came from posters on here the way some carry on.

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?

I told you in another thread things at the NRL was gonna change.You laughed in my face.

So what’s changed?

• @:

Feel for the bloke.

I don’t think any refs are on the take, their poor decisions frustrate me but to threaten him or his family is lower than a snakes gut.

I don’t think they are either, nor do I think the game is rigged.

But ref’s decision right or wrong can affect results, albeit unintentionally.
    And the game is very far from being a level and fair playing field…

But death threats is just not on.

One of our best ref’s forced to quit… The game has some issues on its hands

• Maybe if someone threatens Todd - he might retire too!

Oh! I wish.

• No idea what could possess anyone to be a referee. The most thankless job there is.

• Banned

Alot of whispers for a while that Bernie Sutton has been trying to get Cecchin out of the ref ranks for personal reasons.

This may be a result of that, knowing he has been demoted from alof the big games this year.

Actually dont mind him as a ref.

• @:

Alot of whispers for a while that Bernie Sutton has been trying to get Cecchin out of the ref ranks for personal reasons.

This may be a result of that, knowing he has been demoted from alof the big games this year.

Hardly whispers.
    It’s been well publicised

• Banned

@:

@:

Hardly whispers.
    It’s been well publicised

Haven’t seen it publicized personally, just a lot of pub banter.

Not sure if its true, but the pieces fit.

• Can only hope Greenberg cops enough stick to force him to get out of our game, he is the root cause of most things wrong with RL at present.
    Pack ya bags Todd you leech, you are sucking the life out of our game with your crookedness.

Shame for Cecchin, he isn’t too bad of a ref. Could understand if it happened to Steve Clark, Kelvin Jeffes or Mogsheen Jadwat- those 3 flogs were atrocious.

• @:

@:

Feel for the bloke.

I don’t think they are either, nor do I think the game is rigged.

But ref’s decision right or wrong can affect results, albeit unintentionally.
    And the game is very far from being a level and fair playing field…

But death threats is just not on.

One of our best ref’s forced to quit… The game has some issues on its hands

Probably find 80% of the players make more mistakes than the refs do every weekend

And yes Ink , we can’t afford to lose good refs

AS an ex player and coach Ross Strudwick used to say , any ref can be helped to lean one way or the other , whether it be scoreline , circumstances like injury tolls , home crowds etc , if a captain says the right thing it can get in a refs head

• @:

@:

@:

@:

So what’s changed?

Read the thread title.

• @:

His greatest call was in the 2005 Grand Final when he was a touchy and called an infringement on Halatau that prevented a cowboys try in the first half which arrested the cows momentum.

Agreed - he gets a lifetime pass from me.

Recent Topics