Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

If Cleary met with Gus a few weeks back and only disclosed it to the WT Monday night, then it doesn’t look good….sounds like they negotiated a deal over those weeks…

Paul Kent is saying Ivan “$1.01 to join Panthers”…

@:

@:

To be fair, Tigers have the advantage here. If we dig in and don’t release IC, Penrith need to sign a head coach before 2019 kicks off. We have no such problem. The minute Penrith signs someone, then IC has no options, assuming his drive is to coach NC.

Theyll just go with the one they have as a caretaker, from all reports hes a bit like the Rabbits new coach, and seems to
have a lot of support from those that matter, especially as he has a much better relationship with the players.

Actually , I wouldnt be surprised if Barrett is part of the deal, Gus has a high opinion of him,

Yeah I think his name is Ceraldo. They will have to make him permanent head coach at some point, can’t be caretaker forever. Or find someone else e.g. Barrett.

I don’t know IC personally, but I can’t imagine that someone would return to somewhere he was fired from. It’s not like he can’t get a job anywhere else.

How the Club act’s on this situation will define my interest in our Club, I thought I’d never say it but could be enough for me to walk away from it.

@:

@:

@:

@:

IC press conference 3pm….

How does one watch it?

Weststigers.com.au maybe?

It’ll be on the website after more then likely. West Tigers are at risk of losing alot of fans if this goes ahead.

That’s a shame if so

Although disappointing if true i don’t think we should blame the club

There are some slimy dealings going on in the NRL these days

The NRL are totally clueless and just sit back and watch the game self destruct

@:

Paul Kent is saying Ivan “$1.01 to join Panthers”…

$0.01 Paul Kent is a flogbag

I’m as pissed as anyone. Blight on the game, integrity, value of contracts, example to everyday person etc…
But…
I was okay for Nathan to leave the Panthers 1 year early to reunite with his dad. Hard to argue the opposite now.

Gould just said no contact has been made with bennett. That’s leave one man , oh no

@:

I’m as pissed as anyone. Blight on the game, integrity, value of contracts, example to everyday person etc…
But…
I was okay for Nathan to leave the Panthers 1 year early to reunite with his dad. Hard to argue the opposite now.

No one has approached Nathan Cleary and they can’t before Nov 1st. That doesn’t mean it would have been next year anyway.

Ivan Cleary was approached despite two years remaining.

There is a distinct difference.

How could they do a deal without our go ahead???

One things for sure… Rugby League loves itself some drama

Fingers crossed, Cleary is not only going to turn down Gould but is working out to maximise the fall-out for Gould. Could be the sweetest revenge (or the darkest day…)

Can he take the bus with him?

Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe insists he won’t consider granting Cleary an early release, with the highly respected coach in the second year of his three-and-a-half year deal.

“No mate we would not,” Pascoe said when asked if they would consider letting Cleary go.

–---------------
Hands off: Tigers issue swift edict to Penrith over Cleary
By Steve Zemek
7 August 2018 — 11:29am

The Wests Tigers have issued a hands-off edict to Penrith as the Panthers attempt to lure Ivan Cleary to the foot of the mountains as a replacement for Anthony Griffin.

Cleary has emerged as the Panthers’ No.1 target despite the fact he still has two years to run on his NRL contract at the joint venture.

Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe insists he won’t consider granting Cleary an early release, with the highly respected coach in the second year of his three-and-a-half year deal.

“No mate we would not,” Pascoe said when asked if they would consider letting Cleary go.

It’s understood Cleary has spoken to Panthers officials in the last few weeks and is the club’s No.1 target due to his relationship with his son, Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary.

It would be an about-face from Cleary for him to cut-and-run on the Tigers and not see out the rebuild he began after taking over from Jason Taylor in April last year.

In his first press conference upon taking the Tigers’ job, he famously told several of the club’s wantaway stars including James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and Mitchell Moses that they needed to get “on the bus”.

Cleary last week reiterated his desire to work with Nathan at some point during his career. His son is off contract at the end of 2019 and under NRL rules will be able to negotiate with rival clubs from November 1.

The Blues’ State of Origin No.7 said he will consider his next career move on his 21st birthday in mid-November.

Should the Panthers snag Cleary, it would virtually ensure Nathan, considered a once-in-a-generation talent, would remain at the Panthers.

There are several sticking points, in particular the Tigers’ willingness to let him go and Cleary’s relationship with the Panthers after he was sacked less than three years ago.

Panthers general manager Phil Gould denied his relationship with Cleary had soured after he axed the coach following the 2015 season.

“It’s good,” Gould said. "I don’t see him all that often but I’ve got no problem with Ivan.

"I’ve known him for 25 years. The Ivan decision was made in his best interests and my best interests.

“I believe I was right at the time - whether or not I was, it doesn’t matter.”

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.