"Social credit" scary stuff

• http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/china-social-credit-a-model-citizen-in-a-digital-dictatorship/10200278

Leave no dark corner

China is building a digital dictatorship to exert control over its 1.4 billion citizens. For some, “social credit” will bring privileges — for others, punishment.

By China correspondent Matthew Carney

Dandan Fan is very much the modern Chinese woman.
    A marketing professional, she’s diligent and prosperous — in many ways she’s a model Chinese citizen.
    But Dandan is being watched 24 hours a day.
    A vast network of 200 million CCTV cameras across China ensures there’s no dark corner in which to hide.
    Every step she takes, every one of her actions big or small — even what she thinks — can be tracked and judged.
    And Dandan says that’s fine with her.
    What may sound like a dystopian vision of the future is already happening in China. And it’s making and breaking lives.

The Communist Party calls it “social credit” and says it will be fully operational by 2020.

Within years, an official Party outline claims, it will “allow the trustworthy to roam freely under heaven while making it hard for the discredited to take a single step”……

read more:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/china-social-credit-a-model-citizen-in-a-digital-dictatorship/10200278

• It’s coming
    Soon we will be zapped by lasers from satellites for commenting on the WTF

• I got a bunch of Chinese currently sitting near me on the Manly ferry. I wonder if they are being watched

• @:

I got a bunch of Chinese currently sitting near me on the Manly ferry. I wonder if they are being watched

If theyre heading towards Manly theyll lose brownie points, you better warn em Don

• Banned

I was in China 1992 in a public park in a remote area in a heavily wooded area enjoying myself with a lovely lass over there as one does and the cops had telescopes perched on another hill. They demanded a written apology. They probably could not prove anything only suspect.

• @:

I was in China 1992 in a public park in a remote area in a heavily wooded area enjoying myself with a lovely lass over there as one does and the cops had telescopes perched on another hill. They demanded a written apology. They probably could not prove anything only suspect.

They might’ve spotted you swinging a drainpipe at said young lass!

• @:

@:

That’s OK but because she could fight with the best of them.

• @:

@:

@:

😆

• Yup, that’s why i deleted Facebook etc

• Banned

@:

@:

@:

@:

😆

That neighbour and I have sort of made up, just don’t mention at all. But his missus screams every time she hears us chatting. If we are in a shop simultaneously she storms out immediately upon seeing me. I am hoping she will have another go at me.

• Stop hijacking the bloody thread!

• @:

@:

@:

@:

😆

That neighbour and I have sort of made up, just don’t mention at all. But his missus screams every time she hears us chatting. If we are in a shop simultaneously she storms out immediately upon seeing me. I am hoping she will have another go at me.

You are gonna have to challenge her to a cage-match. Maybe in a neighbour’s chookpen?
    Sounds like there are some loopers around your way BBF. Let the Chinese “big brother” monitor that lot……

• Chinese authorities use ‘gait’ surveillance to identify people by their body shape and walk

Chinese authorities have begun deploying a new surveillance tool called “gait recognition” software that uses people’s body shapes and how they walk to identify them, even when their faces are hidden from cameras.
    Key points:

Software developer Watrix says its program can identify people from 50 metres away
    Gait recognition is being envisioned as a surveillance tool alongside facial recognition
    The technology has been researched for over a decade in Japan, the UK and US

Already used by police on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai, “gait recognition” is part of a push across China to develop artificial intelligence and data-driven surveillance that is raising concerns about how far the technology will go.

The software, built by a Chinese artificial intelligence company called Watrix, extracts a person’s silhouette from video and analyses the silhouette’s movement to create a model of the way the person walks.

It doesn’t require special cameras — the software can use footage from surveillance cameras to analyse gait.

Watrix chief executive officer Huang Yongzhen said its system can identify people from up to 50 metres away, even with their back turned or face covered.

“You don’t need people’s cooperation for us to be able to recognise their identity,” Mr Huang said.

"Gait analysis can’t be fooled by simply limping, walking with splayed feet or hunching over, because we’re analysing all the features of an entire body.

The technology isn’t capable of identifying people in real-time yet.

Users instead must upload video into the program, which takes about 10 minutes to search through an hour of video.

Mr Huang envisioned gait recognition being used alongside face-scanning software, which needs close-up, high-resolution images of a person’s face to work.
    'An unstoppable trend’The technology isn’t capable of identifying people in real-time yet.

read more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-06/chinese-gait-recognition-tech-ids-people-by-how-they-walk/10469974

• What happens when your plastered and you stagger across 4 lanes of traffic taking 2 steps forward and 5 backwards ……

• @:

What happens when your plastered and you stagger across 4 lanes of traffic taking 2 steps forward and 5 backwards ……

In China they will run you over and keep going. You will make the local news as another drunk gweilo.

Recent Topics