Ron Casey

Just saw news of the passing of former league/sports journo and commentator Ron Casey
R. I. P. Won …. Always interesting and opinionated… Who can forget his on air punch up with Normie Rowe

It was funny that a rant over Nokia phones being a Japanese company and Australia being taken over by Asians that ended his Radio career.
Nokia in a Finnish company.

I always had a soft spot for “Won”.

My favourite memory is him calling a Newtown v Balmain match in the late 60s.

The Tigers had Laurie Moraschi and George Rubner in their back line.

Ron was calling a Balmain attacking move and he said: “….and it goes from Moraschi to Maroubra”.

One of those little things you don’t forget.

RIP Ron. A great broadcaster in Australian radio history. His TV appearances were never quiet ones. The blow ups on A Current Affair were always memorable.

Yep, a real part of the history of league broadcasting. Never short of an opinion.

He was a swimming coach at North Sydney pool in the late 50s and early sixties. Coached my wife and her sister. My wife said he was a real character. Always enjoyed Won, him and Rex made league a lot of fun, unlike Gus Johns and co of today

A sad day for rabid racists everywhere…

Loved his stouches with Frank Hyde on the Sunday footy show funny stuff
Ron used to be part of the telecast team which showed the second half of footy games
Black and white Tele of course

I thought he was already dead.

The titled should be changed to Won Casey in memory.

R.i.P. Ron….Always up for an argument…Controversy Corner was a Rex Mossop panel consisting of Rex and four others. I was surprised to see that Fox adopted that name and format… :sign:

@:

A sad day for rabid racists everywhere…

😃

I came across him in the lift at the Commonwealth Centre in Chifley Square in about 1968 and I was wearing an anti-conscription badge re Vietnam War. We immediately eye-balled each other and never stopped the whole journey.

Of course you did Byron.

RIP Ron, you will be missed.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.