2019 Coaching saga -Thread

• I nominated Maguire as coach only because Bennett was a year away and didn’t want Clearly here. However with Pangai jnr only signing a one year deal it looks like he’ll follow Wayne. So I must go with Bennett. Even if we have to wait a year.

• Banned

WAYNE Bennett has reportedly gone cold on his link to Wests Tigers.

The veteran Broncos coach is now strongly considering seeing out the final season of his contract in Brisbane, according to widespread reports.

His latest indication that he has lost interest in replacing Ivan Cleary at the Tigers has huge repercussions for the chaotic NRL coaching landscape.

The Sydney Morning Herald’s Andrew Webster told Sky Sports Radio on Friday, Bennett is now “completely off” a move to the Tigers.

“I’ve been told overnight that Wayne Bennett has dropped completely off the Tigers,” he said.

“To be honest, I don’t know if he was ever that keen. I know a lot of people thought the deal was already done. Can you honestly see Wayne Bennett roaming Concord Oval after being in a nice big facility at Red Hill in Brisbane?

“I just couldn’t see him going there. I’m not going to say it’s not going to happen because the market is so volatile. I reckon the Tigers will go hard now for (Michael) Maguire. Although, he’s a man whose demands are quite significant as well.”

The reports of Bennett’s desire to stay in Brisbane sets up a showdown with the Broncos board of directors, who must now either allow Bennett to see out the final year of his deal as a lame duck that’s already been told he has no future beyond the 2019 season — or offer a payout that would allow Bennett to find a new club.

The Broncos are in the process of interviewing for Bennett’s successor to take over at the end of next season.

Assistant coach Jason Demetriou was reportedly interviewed by the club this week and is one of four contenders for the job alongside Maguire, South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold and Queensland State of Origin coach Kevin Walters.

Wayne Bennett after taking one look at Wests Tigers’ facilities (probably).
    Wayne Bennett after taking one look at Wests Tigers’ facilities (probably).Source:AAP
    Webster said on Friday South Sydney would be prepared to let Seibold leave before the start of the 2019 season, if Brisbane moved to appoint Seibold as Bennett’s replacement.

“Then it becomes an interesting one with South Sydney,” he said.

“If Bennett does leave and they get Anthony Seibold, I’m told that the Rabbitohs would be more than happy to let him go early.

“They’re comfortable with their back-up plans. Who they are, I don’t know.

“It’s all very intriguing.”

Former Rabbitohs assistant coach David Furner, who was last month appointed head coach of Leeds, has a clause in his contract which would allow him to return to coach South Sydney next season, according to Webster.

Brisbane star Josh McGuire earlier this week threw his support behind assistant coach Demetriou when asked if players would support Bennett’s right-hand man taking over the top job at the Broncos.

McGuire has worked with Demetriou, Walters and Seibold in separate capacities and believes any of the trio would be ideal to take over from Bennett in either 2019 or 2020.

He has a special level of respect for Demetriou, who joined the Broncos at the end of 2016 after winning Queensland and NSW Cup titles in the two years previous.

“Jason’s a tremendous coach and very much capable of being a head coach anywhere,” McGuire said.

“He’s won everything there is to win in the lower grades and I think he has been unlucky not to get a head gig yet.

“I would love to be under him. I would love to have an opportunity to have him as my NRL coach.

“I’ve worked with a lot of good football minds and he’s up there with the best.”

• That’s fine, let him see out 2019. With the news of Oates and TPJ, we should be doubling down and going all in for him.

• So Bennett has dropped off, suddenly Maguire is in the box seat.
    I got a bad feeling about this .

• Knowing our luck we’ll miss out on Bennett and then Maguire will go elsewhere too.

We’ll probably end up with Paul Langmack.

• Haha… ‘Widespread reports’

• Article in today’s Australian says that Justin Pascoe is overseas this week.

I’ve no doubt that the bloke is entitled to holiday but surely not at a time when the club needs to sort out its coaching situation?

Wasn’t he lying on a beach somewhere when Addo Carr was hoping we’d offer him a new contract? He signed for Melbourne while Pascoe was sipping pina coladas?

• There are a LOT of assumptions going on here. The main one being that both Bennett & Maguire WANT to coach here. We could end up pretty red faced.

• @:

Article in today’s Australian says that Justin Pascoe is overseas this week.

I’ve no doubt that the bloke is entitled to holiday but surely not at a time when the club needs to sort out its coaching situation?

Wasn’t he lying on a beach somewhere when Addo Carr was hoping we’d offer him a new contract? He signed for Melbourne while Pascoe was sipping pina coladas?

I pray that’s wrong.

• @:

Could be business?

• @:

@:

I pray that’s wrong.

I would like to think that this isn’t the case, surely not?

• @:

Arent (werent?) the two new coaching candidates overseas?

• I know he can connect from anywhere but he just accepted my LinkedIn request

• @:

@:

Arent (werent?) the two new coaching candidates overseas?

They are working overseas and their agents will be handing their negotiations…… probably with other clubs.

• @:

There are a LOT of assumptions going on here. The main one being that both Bennett & Maguire WANT to coach here. We could end up pretty red faced.

Not really. This club has made us underwhelmed and disenfranchised over the years. Used to the worst outcome honestly.

Recent Topics