Pascoe sanctioned by the NRL

• This is total BS
    Pasco has been great for this club and now they have de-registered him it’s a bit over kill for what he has done
    This totally angers me with how the NRL is run these days

• Wests Tigers need to get the NRL before the courts as soon as possible. We need an open impartial look at what, if any, rules have been breached and covered by what laws. No internal process offered by the NRL should be considered.

• i dont think i have all the facts here but is this the summary?

• robbie was under contract for x amount of years with the WT
    • rabbitohs picked him up dirt cheap in 2017 where we were gonna pay robbie the remaining of what was owed to him
    • he also signed a contract with the club for 639k for an “ambassador role” to be paid out over 3-4 years

didn’t we get an unfair advantage in 2017/18 because technically whatever is owed to robbie should’ve been included in the cap?

• @:

I usually roll my eyes at the “Ivan stuffed us” posts but cmon this is bloody ridiculous that we’re paying the price for his recruitment decision.
    As poor as he reacted during the whole Taylor fiasco, It’s not Robbie’s fault this is happening either.
    Pascoe having a signed contract for Robbie’s post career does look dumb but I can’t believe its considered a cultural crisis by the NRL. This only highlights we are a danger to ourselves if anything.

How on earth would anyone even contemplate that the Wests Tigers have systematically cheated? Or believe that Pascoe orchestrated the sacking of Robbie Farah, in order to only have him return 2 years later? In addition to paying another club $750,000 during that period?
    This is the biggest crock of s*** I’ve ever seen from Greenberg and It’s really testing my patience as an NRL fan.

I can assure you there are many of us holding our tongues re Mr Farah one would be wise not to drag the past up and move on !

• I am speechless. Without Speech.

We all have our tantrums and threaten to burn jerseys and memberships but I tell you what, if the penalty stands then I am going to follow some other team and sport. The NRL has absolutely lost me and their favoritism is obvious.

This is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

• @:

Looks like they used a 20 pound sledgehammer to nail a thumbtack.

Just trying to justify that they are looking after the NRL when they are ignoring more blatant and horrendous issues.

• its a hard knock life for us…… :brick:

• @:

i dont think i have all the facts here but is this the summary?

• rabbitohs picked him up dirt cheap in 2017 where we were gonna pay robbie the remaining of what was owed to him
    • he also signed a contract with the club for 639k for an “ambassador role” to be paid out over 3-4 years

didn’t we get an unfair advantage in 2017/18 because technically whatever is owed to robbie should’ve been included in the cap?

I believe the timeline is as follows:
    1. Club negotiates to have Farah released at the back end of 2016. An ambassadorial role is openly discussed.
    2. Farah is released and joins Souths, who are reportedly only paying $250k of his ~$950k contract, with the Tigers responsible for the rest.
    3. Around this time, the Tigers apply for cap relief from the NRL, on the basis that Farah was only released as he was a disruptive presence.
    4. Farah plays out the remainder of his contract with Souths and then back at WT for the back half of 2018.
    5. Farah then re-signs for one more year (2019) with WT.

The crux of the matter appears to be whether an agreement was formally agreed to re: this ambassador role. Whilst Pascoe etc spoke of it publicly, the club’s statement today suggests they don’t believe anything was officially signed to and/or agreed.
    The NRL clearly believe they have documentation stating that the deal was signed off. If that’s the case, then WT don’t really have a leg to stand on.
    As Greenberg said, the rules re: these jobs post-playing are quite clear in that they need to be declared - there was an issue with Gasnier and the Dragons a few years back from memory.

Still, even if that is the case, the punishment seems very harsh in terms of the fine, cap penalty as well as Pascoe being banned.
    As a comparison, the Eels were fined $465k for their ongoing illegal payments a few years back. The Tigers fine is nearly double that.

• @:

@:

1. Club negotiates to have Farah released at the back end of 2016. An ambassadorial role is openly discussed.
    2. Farah is released and joins Souths, who are reportedly only paying $250k of his ~$950k contract, with the Tigers responsible for the rest.
    3. Around this time, the Tigers apply for cap relief from the NRL, on the basis that Farah was only released as he was a disruptive presence.
    4. Farah plays out the remainder of his contract with Souths and then back at WT for the back half of 2018.

The crux of the matter appears to be whether an agreement was formally agreed to re: this ambassador role. Whilst Pascoe etc spoke of it publicly, the club’s statement today suggests they don’t believe anything was officially signed to and/or agreed.
    The NRL clearly believe they have documentation stating that the deal was signed off. If that’s the case, then WT don’t really have a leg to stand on.
    As Greenberg said, the rules re: these jobs post-playing are quite clear in that they need to be declared - there was an issue with Gasnier and the Dragons a few years back from memory.

Still, even if that is the case, the punishment seems very harsh in terms of the fine, cap penalty as well as Pascoe being banned.
    As a comparison, the Eels were fined $465k for their ongoing illegal payments a few years back. The Tigers fine is nearly double that.

That’s true, but if there is a signed document, why would the tigers say this in their statement: “The club does not know if he is going to take it up and Robbie has not indicated his intention in return.”

That doesn’t sound like an agreement was reached.

I will be very angry if it turns out there is a signed document. It’s one thing to break the rules (perhaps unwittingly), but it is another thing altogether to lie about it.

• @:

@:

Thanks for that, most of the facts collated in one post.

I had no idea we applied for cap relief over Farah… No wonder the NRL think it stinks if there’s a signed contract.

• So if a club employs an ex player in a role with the club after they have retired it comes out of the salary cap. Wow. This NRL are a farce. Still waiting for the explanation off Andrew Gee and the Broncos for all their rorting - oh but wait its the Broncos- my bad.

• @:

I think we need a rally…

Ring BBF and get him to organise things he apparently loves rallies and protests……

seriously Im with swordy and others,I was looking at renewing my out of towner membership for 2019,however if we get fined,lose a large amount of cap money and Justin is deregistered then Im going to give the game the flick and concentrate on playing golf…I cant keep supporting a sport with so many hypocrits and wannabees running the game…

On a side note,Justin Pascoe is the best thing that has happened with this club in years,he and the board have done great to change the way things were done in the club and it is an absolute disgrace that a man of Justins calibre is treated in this way…I love the WTS and wish them well,but cant support them while they get hammered by the NRL in whatever way they want…

I eagerly await that Justin and the WTS are cleared of any wrongdoing…its the only way I will return to the game I so dearly love and played…

• @:

@:

@:

That’s true, but if there is a signed document, why would the tigers say this in their statement: “The club does not know if he is going to take it up and Robbie has not indicated his intention in return.”

That doesn’t sound like an agreement was reached.

I will be very angry if it turns out there is a signed document. It’s one thing to break the rules (perhaps unwittingly), but it is another thing altogether to lie about it.

That’s the $750k question.
    It should be a pretty quick process of appeal either way - the agreement either exists or it doesn’t.

• Just leaving aside the obvious harshness of the penalties for a moment, I have a question. The fine and cap restrictions are pretty easy to understand but I don’t understand what the deregistration of Pascoe actually means. I know it means he can’t resume his CEO role but is it for a period of time or is it forever. Surely it can’t be forever because that would be a ridiculous penalty for the offence. If it’s for a period of time, why wasn’t the period specified in the NRL’s pronouncement. Or is it likely the period will be specified after WT have responded to the breach notice?
    Does anyone know the answer?

• I feel physically ill by this. Not sure what we do it about but it has to be more than venting on a forum.

Recent Topics