Stat To Fix: Wests Tigers need more players in motion

• Scoring points was an issue for the Wests Tigers in 2018 and is the key area for improvement for a side with the longest finals drought in the Telstra Premiership.

While the overall defensive display was spirited and got the side into a position to challenge for the finals ahead of a ninth-place finish, the next step for new coach Michael Maguire is getting the side scoring enough points to have their destiny in their own hands.

The Wests Tigers scored 61 tries in 2018, the fewest of any team in the competition.

It continued a trend from 2017 when they managed just 70 tries to be ranked 15th ahead of only Canterbury.

One area that could improve the lack of points moving forward is the Tigers’ use of decoy runners.

The use of decoy running increased dramatically in 2018 with South Sydney the clear front-runners with 1483 across the season, followed by the Warriors on 1327.

Six clubs that played finals football also finished in the top eight for this statistic. Wests Tigers ranked last in 2018 with 1033.
    The Rabbitohs were the best attacking team in 2018, scoring 98 tries at 4.1 per game. Compared to the Tigers, South Sydney had an additional 450 runners (18.8 per game) in motion towards a defensive line across 24 games.

The joint venture averaged a competition-low 2.5 tries per game, and they lost four games by two-point margins.

One obvious reason behind the Wests Tigers’ woes was the fact their attack was disjointed across the board with their spine constantly changing.

Dally M halfback of the year Luke Brooks was a mainstay in the No.7 jersey but had different teammates at five-eighth, hooker and fullback throughout the season.

The additions of Robbie Farah and Moses Mbye mid-season, whilst boosting the team’s talent, couldn’t fix the issue in the short term.

A full pre-season with the spine, and the return of Josh Reynolds from injury should give the Tigers a better opportunity to improve their point-scoring ability in 2019

• Yep true story , the more runners we have , the more options are created , no good havin guys standing around waitin for the kick to go in , get involved Tigers

• For whatever reasons, our attack last season was pathetic and anemic. We could rarely run a good set, position ourselves, create holes in the defence nor bend or break their lines. Probably a mix of inadequate players not being big enough or deft enough and a care less then expected coach. Hopefully this season will be better. We need to be.

• Souths did look dangerous with their decoy runners and out the back plays.
    I hope if we do increase our amount of decoys runners they are actually real options and ready for the ball rather then over running it. The decoys need to be running all sorts of angles too, not just straight up. Need to play with depth.

• Interesting. I didnt pick up on this in comparison to the other teams

• @:

Souths did look dangerous with their decoy runners and out the back plays.
    I hope if we do increase our amount of decoys runners they are actually real options and ready for the ball rather then over running it. The decoys need to be running all sorts of angles too, not just straight up. Need to play with depth.

True but in the semi final they didn’t have a back up plan. They were so predictable with there plays that the roosters had it all over them. Decoys are all good as long as its mixed up a little.

• Thanks for the post. Could I once again ask for the source each time as well - not that difficult.

For those interested, this one was:

Author
    Alicia Newton
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp
    Tue 15 Jan 2019, 11:01 AM

• Is there a stat on how many decoys we used in defence?

• @:

Thanks for the post. Could I once again ask for the source each time as well - not that difficult.

Author
    Alicia Newton
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp

okay, will remember that for future posts

Thanks- :sign:

• ForumSupporter

@:

Thanks for the post. Could I once again ask for the source each time as well - not that difficult.

Author
    Alicia Newton
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp

Yes thank you Russell

Reminder when posting media articles on this site credit to the author must be given and a link to the article provided in the original post…

As for the stat…umm score more points well derrrrr…

• @:

@:

Author
    Alicia Newton
    NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp

Yes thank you Russell

Reminder when posting media articles on this site credit to the author must be given and a link to the article provided in the original post…

As for the stat…umm score more points well derrrrr…

If we improve our defence again , we don’t need extra points

D wins premierships

• Right on the money, I’ve noted over several seasons how few running options we give our halves.

I mean, what’s Brooksie supposed to do if he gets the ball and looks to shift, but there are no hole runners? That’s why he passes to Rowdy 90% of the time on the left, because he’s the only bloke running proper holes.

Ellis and Dwyer with Benji passing, Lawrence at centres was peak running option for Tigers.

• So our first contact in defense was poor.

We used our scramble defense to hold teams out.

I’m pretty sure we conceded lots of post contact meters in defense too.

Everybody kept telling me that Packerlino were running loads of block plays and decoy’s that’s why they weren’t making meters, yet it seems not.

So what were they doing?

(Man i can turn anything into a Packerlino whinge, gee I’m good)

Recent Topics