Wests Tigers sign Laurie Daley to coaching staff, new mentor for Luke Brooks

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-the-mole-wests-tigers-sign-laurie-daley-luke-brooks-mentor/0f8cbf1a-18b9-49eb-afd7-579af3b645ea

The Wests Tigers have scored a massive coup leading into the new season by signing league legend Laurie Daley to join their coaching staff.

A former premiership winner and Test representative as a player, Daley was the coach who broke Queensland’s long stranglehold on State of Origin supremacy in 2014.

He will work as a halves coach with the Tigers, specifically mentoring rising star Luke Brooks.

New Tigers coach Michael Maguire signed him to join the coaching staff this week and an announcement is expected shortly.

Daley was one of the greatest players of the 1980s and ‘90s and was a key figure in Canberra’s domination of the game during that period.

He has since moved into commentary and coaching with considerable success.

Good move by the club!

Interesting. Daley has copped plenty on here. Lets see how this news goes.

@:

Interesting. Daley has copped plenty on here. Lets see how this news goes.

I recall him having a pretty strategic footy brain with past quips like ‘the team which scores the most points will win’.

Ha bit of a laugh but I think its a good signing. He was a quality half in his day…

Don’t know what to think. Can’t hurt I suppose. Never really bought out the best in the NSW halves though. I don’t think he’d come cheap either.

Definitely had the ability,

Did McGuire play for Canberra? Would he have played with Daley?

And it’s positive news for a change

Cant hurt. Welcome, Laurie.

Some positive news for once

Looking forward to watching Brooks development under madge and Daley

Daley: Brookesy, if you can get your boys to score more points than opposition, you’ll win the game. Thats the key to winning!!!

Brookes: Blink Blink

Hopeless commentator, actually grown to like him on the BSB though. Seems like a really likable guy.

Hopefully he can get his ideas across and Luke benefits from it.

I like this move.

One of the all time great players and great blokes. A good foil for the seriousness of Coach Maguire.

I love listening to him on Big sports breakfast on radio

He’d be a better “Halves Coach” than a General Team coach.
Hate how he talks though… Says “PLAY” as “PUH-LAY!” Pet peeve. Really abruptly says some letters in words.

Can only seeing this being good for Luke.
Better than that glory days hero Andrew Johns.
His brother Matt would be good though.

@:

Did McGuire play for Canberra? Would he have played with Daley?

Yes and yes. Although he only played 9 1st grade games for the raiders.

@:

Hopeless commentator, actually grown to like him on the BSB though. Seems like a really likable guy.

Hopefully he can get his ideas across and Luke benefits from it.

Hahaha yeah likewise… He’s a gronk. But this hopefully will. Be good

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Go to https://weststigersforum.com/reset to reset your password, otherwise send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.