Liddle guns for Farah...

• ForumSupporter

Young gun Jacob Liddle bulks up as he guns for Robbie Farah’s No.9 jersey at Wests Tigers
    Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
    January 24, 2019 5:39pm

Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle is looking to muscle his way into Robbie Farah’s No.9 jersey, with the injury-plagued rake beefing up in the off-season and thriving under new coach Michael Maguire’s “hands on” approach.

The Tigers have long viewed Liddle as Farah’s heir apparent but a spate of injuries, including a double shoulder reconstruction in 2017, and the former Kangaroo hooker’s return to the club last season have prevented it from happening.

Liddle, who has only played 27 games in three seasons, hopes the added bulk helps stave off injury.

“I’ve been working with our trainers to put on a little bit of weight. It’s the heaviest I have ever been at 90 kilograms and I have put on around five kilos so far,” said Liddle, who battled through a sternum injury last season.

“I’ve been eating lots and making sure I get a lot of protein, making sure that I’m consistently eating.

“It has been a struggle because I have never really been able to put on weight.

“I think it helps the mind to feel confident and I can feel the difference in strength during wrestle and I still have my speed which is a good thing.”

Liddle, who is off contract at the end of the year, is no longer willing to play apprentice in waiting and wants Farah’s starting spot.

“That’s my goal to get that number nine jersey. I just have to keep working on my game and hopefully that opportunity comes sooner rather than later,” he said.

The durable Farah turned 35 on Wednesday and is heading into his 18th season of NRL.

While he’s looking to claim Farah’s starting role, the 22-year-old Liddle credits the veteran for helping him in the build up to the new season.

“He’s been really good to me this pre-season and he is helping me out with a lot of things in my game and I have been trying to push him too,” Liddle said.

“I learn a lot just by watching him. He’s one of the best ball players in the game.”

Liddle’s also keen to learn the secret to Farah’s longevity.

“There’s all the things he does off the field, like when it comes to recovery and all the extras he does. It’s always good to have someone like that to look up too. It helps you learn why he’s been around the game so long,” he said.

Liddle credits Maguire for transforming the Tigers squad into the fittest they have been.

“My fitness levels and strength has gone through the roof which has been good,” he said.

Liddle says while Maguire and former coach Ivan Cleary have very different approaches to training, the side has transitioned well under the premiership-winning coach.

“They’re totally different coaches you can’t compare them. I think Madge is a lot more hands on and he gets involved in training and he pushes the boys to train harder,” Liddle said.

“He’s a strong bastard.”

• It is up to him to take the hooking role and make it his …whether his body is up to it is another matter ! Talent a plenty …

• ForumSupporter

90kgs is not small for a hooker…

• Few KFC visits and he’ll be right….

I couldn’t gain weight at his age either.
    I’d eat a lot, anything I want… Spent a fortune on weight gainer supplements. All to no avail.

Can only happen when the body naturally matures I think.

• @:

It is up to him to take the hooking role and make it his …whether his body is up to it is another matter ! Talent a plenty …

He absolutely has talent….but can he get himself to play a full 80 minutes of pressure NRL is the question…

• Good for him, he needs to go to that next level now.

Still feel he may be another season away mentality wise but we will see.

• Putting on shoulder mass will be the best thing for him … stregthening those shoulders to hold them together … !! Once he is confident with his weight and gets no more shoulder issues, he’ll be fine … !! Farah aint getting any younger, if he picks up an injury Liddle will pounce … !!

• @:

@:

It is up to him to take the hooking role and make it his …whether his body is up to it is another matter ! Talent a plenty …

He absolutely has talent….but can he get himself to play a full 80 minutes of pressure NRL is the question…

Or do we play him differently? I would hate to have a hooker on the bench but if he has good impact then it is possible.

I could see Farah start and have Liddle run on. Then have Farah transfer to another position. Or just have Farah and Liddle do 40 minutes each.

• Honestly this is the best thing i have seen written about our coach:
    "Liddle credits Maguire for transforming the Tigers squad into the fittest they have been.

“My fitness levels and strength has gone through the roof which has been good,” he said.

Liddle says while Maguire and former coach Ivan Cleary have very different approaches to training, the side has transitioned well under the premiership-winning coach.

“They’re totally different coaches you can’t compare them. I think Madge is a lot more hands on and he gets involved in training and he pushes the boys to train harder,” Liddle said.

“He’s a strong bastard.”"

Guess what we need? We have had talented sides all the time, sides that can win a comp. But we have lacked consistent Grit for a fair while. Luke Burgess, Laurie Daley, two great guys to instill it.

• Strength and fitness - two areas where I have always thought we were a bit behind the 8 ball. Hopefully it pays off this year. A fit Liddle could very well keep Farah in reggies - I don’t think we need to play two hookers off the bench this year, better to go in with a genuine utility or 4 forwards depending on who we’re playing.

• @:

Honestly this is the best thing i have seen written about our coach:
    "Liddle credits Maguire for transforming the Tigers squad into the fittest they have been.

Guess what we need? We have had talented sides all the time, sides that can win a comp. But we have lacked consistent Grit for a fair while. Luke Burgess, Laurie Daley, two great guys to instill it.

Sounds like standard off season “we’ve never been better or fitter” fluff to me.

• @:

@:

Honestly this is the best thing i have seen written about our coach:

Sounds like standard off season “we’ve never been better or fitter” fluff to me.

Yep, Titans and Broncos come to mind. Seibold apparently has every Bronco player dropping to their knees and spewing while Titans players have lost weight. Bryce Cartwright the fittest he’s ever been.

Preseason follies is all.

• Fitness is an important start to build confidence.

The Season then shows us the talent of the individuals and the coherence as a team.

I am looking forward to JL really kicking on.

• Hope he can have an injury free season. Definitely has the talent, just needs to stay healthy.

• @:

Few KFC visits and he’ll be right….

I couldn’t gain weight at his age either.
    I’d eat a lot, anything I want… Spent a fortune on weight gainer supplements. All to no avail.

Can only happen when the body naturally matures I think.

I think that I must have naturally matured as I look at food and put on a kilo.

Recent Topics