Western Suburbs trial team named

• Jacob Liddle, Mahe Fonua and Chris McQueen will headline a strong Western Suburbs Magpies team named for Saturday’s Intrust Super Premiership trial match against the Bulldogs.

Kickoff for the match is at 3:30pm AEST from Belmore Sports Ground as Brett Hodgson’s side look to put the finishing touches on a strong pre-season campaign.

Wests Tigers squad members Dylan Smith, Sam McIntyre, Josh Aloiai, Thomas Mikaele, Luke Garner, Robbie Rochow and Oliver Clark will join Liddle, Fonua and McQueen in the side with Wests Tigers four 2019 Development Players — Kane Bradley, Tommy Talau, Jock Madden and Alex Seyfarth — also set to feature.

Also in the squad is Jersey Flegg-eligible forward Henry Lealuga-Puhotau and Intrust Super Premiership hooker Soni Luke, who have both spent the 2019 pre-season training with the extended NRL squad under Head Coach Michael Maguire.

For all live scores of Saturday’s trial match, click here to follow on Twitter.

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

Saturday, February 23 at Belmore Sports Ground

1. Dylan Smith
    2. Kane Bradley
    3. Mahe Fonua
    4. Sam McIntyre
    5. Tommy Talau
    6. Tyson Gamble
    7. Jock Madden
    8. Josh Aloiai
    9. Jacob Liddle
    10. Thomas Mikaele
    11. Luke Garner
    12. Chris McQueen
    13. Robbie Rochow

Interchange:
    14. Kodi Aupouri
    15. Oliver Clark
    16. Henry Lealuga-Puhotau
    17. Soni Luke
    18. Alex Seyfarth
    19. Watson Heleta
    20. Dylan Clifford
    21. Harry O’Toole
    22. Braden Robson
    23. Patrice Siolo
    24. Bilaal Maarbani

Coach: Brett Hodgson

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/02/22/strong-team-named-for-bulldogs-trial-match/

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers site.

• Hmm gives a clearer picture as to who will be in the mix for firsts. Aloiai, Fonua, McQueen and Rochow seem to be behind the 8 ball. Not that that comes as a shock.

• I would say, with the exception of possibly Liddle, they will all start the year in ISP. Disappointing for Aloiai if that’s the case. I have high hopes for him this year.

• Aloiai & Rochow both missed training due to offseason surgery, so they may need the extra run.

Oliver Clark on the bench does not bode well. Thanks again Ivan.

• It’s good to see our development guys on the wing and in the half’s.
    As for the rest it’s Good depth for this year …… everyone has a chance if they show form, stay patient, focused, and healthy. Otherwise it’s bye bye either mid year or by end season.

• @GNR4LIFE:

I would say, with the exception of possibly Liddle, they will all start the year in ISP. Disappointing for Aloiai if that’s the case. I have high hopes for him this year

Yeah I thought the same with Aloiai. Interesting that he’s playing up front too, as I’ve always liked him on the edge. He has the potential to be the hard running game changer we need. Hopefully this is the year he puts it all together.

• Haven’t understood the fuss over Clarke. Don’t see him amounting to much.

• @Harvey:

Aloiai & Rochow both missed training due to offseason surgery, so they may need the extra run.

This is correct,

More game time isnt a bad thing

• Interesting to see that young giant of kid who played in the back row for the Dragons U20’s and NSW U20’s … is playing on the wing for us … Kane Bradley 6’5" and 105 kgs … think we’ve found a new Corey Oates … !!

• Why do we have a back rower and a 5/8 on the wing? They’ve never played there before. Talau especially seems odd seeing he’s a lock-5/8-second rower and not overly quick.
    Good that they all get a run, and i’m sure there’ll be some shuffling around but if anything we’d want to have Talau in the centre and McIntyre on the bench.

• Strong pack imo

• It certainly is a strong looking side with a good mix of experience and youth. Is anyone going out to Belmore to watch this one?

• Maybe the coach wants to see Aloiai as a prop because he can’t use Musgrove and we need the depth in that position.

• I don’t know those players but it’s not unusual for young development players to be tried in New positions and sometimes they go better there.

• @Balmain_Boy:

Why do we have a back rower and a 5/8 on the wing? They’ve never played there before. Talau especially seems odd seeing he’s a lock-5/8-second rower and not overly quick.
    Good that they all get a run, and i’m sure there’ll be some shuffling around but if anything we’d want to have Talau in the centre and McIntyre on the bench

Interesting point. I didn’t notice Talau on the wing. Doubt he’s under consideration for a wing spot, but it might just be an opportunity to get some miles in his legs. Although the side that runs out may look quite different.

Recent Topics