Josh Reynolds - over hyped and over paid

I’m going out on a limb here and say we should never have signed Josh Reynolds (thanks Ivan), especially on the marquee salary and the term (4 years).

I mean full credit to Josh for his unrivaled passion for the game and his team, but that wears thin if not backed up by performances. Yeah I know he’s only played a handful of matches for us, and I’m sure he will improve, but he really offers very little above his unbound enthusiasm. Yesterday I saw his defence and tackling technique which consists of jumping on players to tackle them; common Josh this is not U9’s; I also watched him throw wobbly, inaccurate passes to his team mates, passes that are momentum killers not the starters to an attacking raid. Sadly, Benji is not much better, when will he learn not to kick into the feet of other players??!!!.

I’m sure for $750k p.a. we could have recruited a much better 5/8 than Reynolds….now we are stuck with him for 3 more years…sigh…

I really hope he makes me eat my words, but I doubt it very much…enthusiasm needs to be matched with some ability and as a marquee player, in a key position Josh does doesn’t have the ability required or we desperately need… feel sorry for Brooks!

@tigerap:

I’m going out on a limb here and say we should never have signed Josh Reynolds (thanks Ivan), especially on the marquee salary and the term (4 years).

I mean full credit to Josh for his unrivaled passion for the game and his team, but that wears thin if not backed up by performances. Yeah I know he’s only played a handful of matches for us, and I’m sure he will improve, but he really offers very little above his unbound enthusiasm. Yesterday I saw his defence and tackling technique which consists of jumping on players to tackle them; common Josh this is not U9’s; I also watched him throw wobbly, inaccurate passes to his team mates, passes that are momentum killers not the starters to an attacking raid. Sadly, Benji is not much better, when will he learn not to kick into the feet of other players??!!!.

I’m sure for $750k p.a. we could have recruited a much better 5/8 than Reynolds…now we are stuck with him for 2 more years…sigh…

I really hope he makes me eat my words, but I doubt it very much…enthusiasm needs to be matched with some ability and as a marquee player, in a key position Josh does doesn’t have the ability required or we desperately need… feel sorry for Brooks!

It was a desperation signing after the departure of the 3, we overreached on this signing as Cleary was desperate for some positive news.

Yep, Cleary shafted us big time…

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt - first hitout in quite a while - plus he has said that Madge wants him playing a different style to what he has played in the past. Admittedly there were times yesterday when he looked like a chook with its head cut off but to be fair the whole side looked disjointed.

Fair enough, but when you see him do things he did at Canterbury, like jumping on players back to tackle them, I question how much he has changed…

@diedpretty:

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt

At $750k there really shouldn’t be any benefit of the doubt needed. He is competing with (and not winning) a position battle with a player on $250k? I think that says it all. I really like Josh by the way, we just overpaid.

Looked like an under 13 player trying to impress the coach.

Was very hyper and looked like he was playing off the cuff when everyone else was playing to a structure?

I agree - unfortunately we are stuck with him for the next few years - i’m just saying i’ll reserve my judgement until he has a few more games under his belt. I’m also hoping I’m right because i think Marshall may have stayed on 1 year too long.

@diedpretty:

I agree - unfortunately we are stuck with him for the next few years - i’m just saying i’ll reserve my judgement until he has a few more games under his belt. I’m also hoping I’m right because i think Marshall may have stayed on 1 year too long.

I think he may have too, but at least at his salary it doesnt hurt us to have him in reggies, where with Josh it will. I do love how excited Josh is to play footy, hopefully he can control that a bit better.

Got to love the going out on a limb 18 mths in ballsy. If you said it before we signed then respe t but dont make it seem like a good call when u make it 18 mtjs after. I think he will do well this year

I will throw Mbye in there as well. $1.5m of our cap gone on players that cannot control or stamp their input on a game.

@Harvey:

I will throw Mbye in there as well. $1.5m of our cap gone on players that cannot control or stamp their input on a game.

Based on yesterday, yeah, and for Moses, it was also his first outing as skipper. Let us hope that was an anomaly.

On yesterday’s performance, you wouldn’t feed Josh, let alone pay him a fortune. Still, he looked alright for mine in his very limited appearances last season, so we can only hope. Like others, I don’t see Benji as more than a tutor and an injury fill in, so someone else will have to rise to the occasion if Reynolds doesn’t.

I’ll say the same thing I said when we signed him

He is a good player , but he is not the right fit for Brooks or the WT’s

Bit unfair on a bloke who has realistically played about 2 hours of footy in the last 12 months. You can’t blame the bloke for the injuries he’s had.

He came on yesterday in a team that was being dominated in the ruck and had no structure at all in attack. Instead of going missing he got involved and tried to make things happen. What he tried didn’t come off and he was definitely guilty of trying too hard, but I’d rather have a player trying to get involved and make things happen than one who sits back and goes missing when the going gets tough.

At least give the guy a chance to get on the field before you write him off. I think Reynolds has a lot to offer in terms of enthusiasm and aggression which is something we’ve sorely missed. It’s unfair on him to make this kind of judgement given the amount of time he has played for the club. Wait and see how he’s going at round 12.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.