2019 Canterbury Cup Draw - Wests Magpies

• ForumSupporter

• ForumSupporter

Just a quick browse through 1st 2 rounds play before the NRL game…

Will list matches later…

• I checked it out earlier today - 5 times all season where the Magpies play before first grade. Looks like we get to watch the grass grow waiting for first grade to start. Great match day experience.

• I couldn’t agree more.I just don’t get this. Don’t they talk to fans? Nooooooooo they bloody well don’t !!! Pathetic when you answer your own questions ……

• A new guy at my work just told me he is a ref in the SC and Jersey Flag. He is pretty young and hoping to crack first grade in a couple of years. He’s actually seems like a nice guy.
    He also said S. Johnson isn’t looking fit

• I’m really becoming disenchanted. Might be time to follow Eastwood Rugby - sit up at the bar at Milner watching 5 games of footy. Tell Greenberg to get far away

• Bit of a random question… but what is the yearly salary for refs?

• @TheDaBoss:

Bit of a random question… but what is the yearly salary for refs?

Depends which clubs you have TPA’s with

• Cameron Smith is the highest paid ref

Don’t think the rest earn as much as he does but he has a much harder job

• ForumSupporter

@Tiger_Steve:

I checked it out earlier today - 5 times all season where the Magpies play before first grade. Looks like we get to watch the grass grow waiting for first grade to start. Great match day experience.

When you take into account they are 2 separate comps with both NRL and CC playing home and away not always against the same feeder teams opponent 5 is a pretty good outcome I think …unless you want to watch the Bears v Newtown when NRL play Souff’s for example

There is also 10 Magpie Games televised free to air on 9 and a couple of others on Fox so that’s about 50% of the games can be watched…

• ForumSupporter

@Crucible:

I couldn’t agree more.I just don’t get this. Don’t they talk to fans? Nooooooooo they bloody well don’t !!! Pathetic when you answer your own questions …

Which fans are you talking about the rusted on traditionalist like you, steve and I where watching lower grades means something or the new age consumer who has the attention span of a gnat…they could not give 2 hoots about Magpies v Fake Magpies…even families wont take the kids for 2 games let alone 3…

I have been going for a long long time and even as late as when we had the 20’s comp and guaranteed 2 games you were lucky to have 500 people watching the 1st game with the bulk of the crowd filling in just prior to the NRL game…

Yes it sucks for us traditionalists but having 2 or 3 games on game day is not going to increase crowds …pre-game entertainment may… get the Foo Fighters or someone to play or face painting for the kiddies because State Cup where only about 1000 people may care about wont…

• Sadly this is true. I really miss ‘a day at the footy’. This was the point of my previous post. To me, game day experience needs to be at least 2 games. But that’s just me. Rusted on fans are of little interest to those trying to grow the game

• My manager’s son is being mentored by the NRL referees development team, he’s only 20 and has been working with them for about 2 years.

• At least there would be the option if it was played before First Grade.
    People who only want to watch First Grade can turn up just before that game starts.

I’m the same as @Tiger_Steve, I see going to the footy as a day out, not just a couple of hours. So I’d love to see 2 or 3 grades on the same day at the same venue.

• ForumSupporter

@Sabre:

At least there would be the option if it was played before First Grade.
    People who only want to watch First Grade can turn up just before that game starts.

I’m the same as @Tiger_Steve, I see going to the footy as a day out, not just a couple of hours. So I’d love to see 2 or 3 grades on the same day at the same venue.

I get that and agree …the comps are separately run now with different home and away schedules …say NRL was playing the Raiders at home and Wests were playing the Bulldogs away would you still turn up to watch Mounties v Newtown before the NRL game.

As @Tiger_Steve pointed out of our 10 NRL home games this year at traditional venues CC is on the same day 5 of those so 50% you will be getting 2 games…I haven’t looked at the Flegg draw yet so there may be the possibility of more

Recent Topics