Josh Reynolds needs playing time before Wests Tigers return, says Robbie Farah

• https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/nrl-2019-wests-tigers-v-manly-sea-eagles-josh-reynolds-five-eighth-benji-marshall-robbie-farah/13e4459yfuou1sp1mb1401f5w

Veteran hooker Robbie Farah has backed the omission of Josh Reynolds to reserve grade, believing that the injury-ridden five-eighth needs playing time rather than bench time, before he’s named in Michael Maguire’s top seventeen.

It was only twelve months ago that Reynolds arrived at Concord Oval hailed as the Wests Tigers’ marquee signing for 2018. But now, the former Blues five-eighth will kick off the year in reserve grade as Maguire fields his first seventeen since taking the helm at the joint-venture club.

Hamstring and shoulder injuries limited Reynolds to just five appearances in his debut season in the black, white and orange. While it was expected that the former Bulldog would be named in the interchange for the Tigers’ season-opening match against Manly, Maguire decided to drop the injury-ridden Reynolds into the reserves.

After signing a lucrative four-year deal worth more than $3 million with the Wests Tigers, he will become one of the highest-paid athletes to ever play reserve grade when he takes the field for the Magpies.

“For him, I think it’s about going back and playing some regular football. He’s had two years where he’s been riddled with injury, with his last season at the Bulldogs and his first season here. So he needs some game time and some match fitness; there’s no point of him sitting on the bench for 60-70 minutes and waiting for an opportunity.”

• madge and i think on the same wavelength

• A good idea for him to get some runs under his belt and build some confidence in his body and his performances.

Besides, it won’t take long for Madge to grow weary of benji crabbing sideways, kicking on the 3rd straight into the shins of his immediate opponent.

• Reynolds definitely needs a couple of full games under his belt - that’s what reserve grade is for - getting match fit for first grade.

• I dont totally agree with this. No-one has played a full 80 mins since last August, so why would his fitness be behind the rest of them. If this was mid-season I would agree but everyone will be blowing come the 25 minute mark.

• Yeah, simply a PR exercise.

• https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/farah-offers-reynolds-reserves-advice/8f763267-4f1b-48c0-a2c2-03d9ddc40a07

Hopefully it doesn’t include not showing up or giving impromptu press conferences full of self pity and criticism of the club

• ForumSupporter

@gallagher:

I dont totally agree with this. No-one has played a full 80 mins since last August, so why would his fitness be behind the rest of them. If this was mid-season I would agree but everyone will be blowing come the 25 minute mark

If you listen to Maguire’s interview the reason he gave was that Reynolds has basically had very little football for the past 2 years due to his injuries and whilst he had a good pre-season especially the last 2 weeks he needs time in his legs playing…when you think about it it is what ISP is for…slower pace not so much he is not fit enough to play…

I think it’s a good approach…

• I agree that he needs big minutes, like everyone, so no point sitting him on the bench. I just think the sooner we have him working with Brooks the better. It will take benji a few weeks to get up to pace aswell, if at all.

• Anyone else find it ironic Robbie Farah was saying that dropping a seasoned player to Reserve Grade was a good idea? I doubt he’d say that if it were Robbie himself or Benji dropped to Reserve Grade.

Anyway, i think Reynolds has an uphill battle, Benji got the captaincy with MBye out injured. It’s a shame, because nothing against the great Benji, but I have been looking forward to seeing Reynolds carve it up for us. Hoping I guess is more the word, considering his price tag.

• I don’t think anyone is too surprised after that trial. He looked panicky to me. Just needs to get back in the swing of things.

• @Masterton:

I don’t think anyone is too surprised after that trial. He looked panicky to me. Just needs to get back in the swing of things.

Yeah, he didnt look good at all, panicky is probably a good word. He looked like someone trying too hard and trying to win a spot. I would have started him and had Benji off the bench. But in the end Madge may just think Benji is better then him.
    Interesting position for us.

• @TigerTiger:

Anyone else find it ironic Robbie Farah was saying that dropping a seasoned player to Reserve Grade was a good idea? I doubt he’d say that if it were Robbie himself or Benji dropped to Reserve Grade.

Anyway, i think Reynolds has an uphill battle, Benji got the captaincy with MBye out injured. It’s a shame, because nothing against the great Benji, but I have been looking forward to seeing Reynolds carve it up for us. Hoping I guess is more the word, considering his price tag.

100% agree, I have a bad feeling about this, Benji at 6 again, he will look a million dollars in the first week or so and everyone will bee patting him on the back, yet when his form to turns to poo, no one mentions it.
    Grub was bought in to play 6, I just wish he could get a proper go

• @gallagher:

Yeah, he didnt look good at all, panicky is probably a good word. He looked like someone trying too hard and trying to win a spot. I would have started him and had Benji off the bench. But in the end Madge may just think Benji is better then him.
    Interesting position for us.

Yeh he didn’t exactly light it up in the trial, but Benji was just as bad

• Though Benji’s initial 5 games last year were great. I want Reynolds too but if Marshall is to be an asset I reckon it’s going to be early season

Recent Topics