Josh Reynolds could make Wests Tigers return via Canterbury Cup, says Michael Maguire

• Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire says Josh Reynolds could return to first grade via the Canterbury Cup after the fifth-eighth was relegated ahead of last week’s season-opener at Leichhardt Oval.

Reynolds was named eighteenth man on the extended bench for the first round, as veteran playmaker Benji Marshall partnered Luke Brooks in the halves. Speaking to the media on Tuesday morning, the Wests Tigers coach confirmed that Reynolds will spend at least another week in reserve grade after the top seventeen thrashed Manly 20-6.

“Yes (it’s possible he’ll return via Canterbury Cup), he is available to play,” Maguire told reporters.

"I’m really looking forward to try and get him a game.

"Obviously with the seventeen, they performed, so it’s about the patience that I’ve spoken about.

“I’m keen to try and get him a game this week but I’ve got to work around how to do that.” “I held him back on the weekend because obviously we have to make sure that he is alright for first grade,” he added.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/nrl-2019-wests-tigers-coach-michael-maguire-josh-reynolds-canterbury-cup-return/1e1axij4ou28u1d1p3e0sgwm8t

"He was very selfless about the fact that he had to sit on the sideline (when) he wanted to play and I understand that. But it’s about giving him the best opportunity to play first grade.

"At this stage of his life he’s got a good understand about what happens in the game and he knows that he’s one moment away from playing. It’s about having an opportunity and being ready for when that opportunity comes. “He’s not the only player who has ever done this. I’ve had some great players that have to go back to go forward, which goes further than what you can imagine.”

• Good work madge

• it’s the only way he’ll get a crack this week providing there’s no injuries. Madge won’t make any changes to a winning side unless M’Bye is available.

• I don’t think we will see either Reynolds or liddle in first grade until half way through the comp.

• liddle out for 4 weeks…ankle injury

• Maybe the injury is why I thought he was a bit flat on the weekend.

• I wouldn’t be surprised if Reynolds bobs up in the NRL side in the next couple of weeks….coaches like Madge are pretty crafty when it comes to picking players on big money and sitting in reggies…Im pretty sure Madge gets some pressure form the top asking why our marquee player is in reserves and our star who is about to retire is given the op to play his illustrious 300 when he left the club when he was really needed…

don’t shoot the messanger I was just saying my comment …….based on club experience previously…cheers guys…

And by the way ….how are you all…still sticking to the same little crew who think they dominate the forum…

• Reynolds has to play. Even is reggies, he needs some miles in his legs. Making him 18th man is completely without benefit

• @TrueTiger:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Reynolds bobs up in the NRL side in the next couple of weeks…coaches like Madge are pretty crafty when it comes to picking players on big money and sitting in reggies…Im pretty sure Madge gets some pressure form the top asking why our marquee player is in reserves and our star who is about to retire is given the op to play his illustrious 300 when he left the club when he was really needed…

don’t shoot the messanger I was just saying my comment …….based on club experience previously…cheers guys…

And by the way ….how are you all…still sticking to the same little crew who think they dominate the forum…

Someone hack your account TT?
    Seems very unlike you.

• Yeah, noticed that too. Seemed half Zig and then another.

• Then do it Madge …you said last week that was the plan and then you pulled the pin on it

We’ve paid 750 k for this bloke , lets give him every available shot before burying him or whatever Madge has planned for his immediate future

• I say give him a full game in the lower grade for fitness… it was hard last week as he would of been there to cover for someone but the lower grade game was the day before our game… Hard to question the coach as the 4 bigs all did a great job last week and we won…

• I agree….but personally he was such a poor buy at the time. Made me cringe when I read it back in 2017. It was a desperate attempt to save face when the big 4 left. Dont get me wrong, I love the guys energy and enthusiasm and he has been a great Bulldog - but $750k pa could be so much better spent.

I feel if he is moved on, say in 2020, we will carry some of that - together with the salary cap penalty next year, we could be down 5-8% on maximum possible player expenditure within the cap. That hurts.

• Totally agree , good player , wrong fit for the WT’s

• Hey TT
    Still view now and then.
    Good to read your views again

Recent Topics