Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 2

Canterbury Cup Team Announcement: Round 2

Author

Dan Talintyre

Timestamp

Tue 19 Mar 2019, 04:09 PM

Western Suburbs Magpies Canterbury Cup Coach Brett Hodgson has named his side to take on the New Zealand Warriors this Sunday for their Round 2 clash at Campbelltown.

Kickoff for the match is at 3:55pm AEDT as Western Suburbs look to build on their strong win in Round 1 and make it back-to-back victories against the Warriors.

Hodgson has named a similar side to the one that downed Blacktown Workers last weekend, with Soni Luke returning to the number nine jersey after sitting out last week. Luke trained full-time with the NRL squad throughout the pre-season and will be one to watch as he prepares for his first game in his new colours this week.

Luke’s inclusion sees Braden Robson return to the bench alongside Patrice Siolo, Dylan Clifford, Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu and Cowen Epere, with Oliver Clark, Robbie Rochow and Elia Faatui once again starting up front for the Magpies.

NRL squad members Dylan Smith, Tyson Gamble and Sam McIntyre have once again been included in the squad with Kauri Aupouri named as captain.

Match: Magpies v Warriors

[
ROUND 2 - SUNDAY 24TH MARCH
3:55pm

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Dylan Smith
2. Harry O’Toole
3. Watson Heleta
4. Kane McQuiggin
5. Bilal Maarbani
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Kauri Aupouri (capt.)
8. Oliver Clark
9. Soni Luke
10. Elia Faatui
11. Sam McIntyre
12. Jack Miller
13. Robbie Rochow

Interchange:
14. Patrice Siolo
15. Dylan Clifford
16. Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu
18. Braden Robson
21. Cowen Epere

Coach: Brett Hodgson

This post is deleted!

Interesting Liddle doesn’t make any appearances anywhere… Could still be named on Sunday though of course.

Liddle is injured. Hurt his ankle on the weekend.
Approx 4 weeks.

A fair side which will no doubt be boosted heading into game day. Hopefully Luke gets the forwards on the front foot.

Damn, he cant take a trick.

He should be known as full moon as appears once a month, twice if we are lucky. Hopefully this year is better for him than last

You’re kidding surely??? If so, these injuries are going to make WT think twice about re-signing him for next year on. No matter how much hype, you have to be on the field more often than not- and he sure aint doing that for a some time now.

Starting to get over Liddle. The kid is a mirage. Every time you think it’s going to be his time, his time moves further away. Will be no skin off my nose if we look elsewhere for next year.

Anyone have information on where these players came from and have seen them play before:

Kauri Aupouri
Jack Miller
Elia Faatui
Kane McQuiggin

Will be interesting to see who gets moved if Reynolds drops down. Gamble is still the chief playmaker, doing all the organising and kicking and those aren’t Grub’s strengths so in a way he has to stay. Even though i’d be curious to see him have a go in the centres without the responsibility of organising a side around the park.

Apouri makes much more sense to drop as he’s only new to the team and offers pretty much the same things that Reynolds does, only he’s a bit faster. He could maybe play wing so he still gets some opportunity to run.

Sorry Chip - not sure why this comment replied to you as well as the one below!

Aupouri is a 5/8 or half, floated around a few clubs in lower grades. Mostly seems like a runner more than an organiser. Pretty quick.

Jack Miller is a very good prospect in the back row. Solid lad, hits and runs hard. Reminds me a bit of Nigel Plum. Was playing for Wenty Magpies last year i believe.

Elia Faatui was a prop in lower grades at Manly

McGuiggan was around the squad as a fringe player last year. Solid player, tries hard. Not sure how quick he is though.

for those that can’t be at Cambo you can listen to the game here…http://steelesports.com.au/

Beats watching Dogs/Eels…yuk…

Gamble playing in the centres to accomodate Reynolds. Otoole out injured

This could be a pivotal moment for Gamble. I do not believe he has shown enough to suggest he’ll make it in first grade as a half but he is big and not lacking skill - maybe this is his future. I hope he kills it today.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.