Spreading the talent gene pool

• Here’s a idea that will never get seriously studied by the NRL HQ. How about no NRL club can have more than 6 x international / SOO players in their 30 player squads.

• @prattenparkchild:

Here’s a idea that will never get seriously studied by the NRL HQ. How about no NRL club can have more than 6 x international / SOO players in their 30 player squads.

So when a club develops 6 players to rep level they have to release any additional players they develop to that level.

• I know you’re suggesting ideas PPC and that’s more than what I’m doing right now, but honestly, how does that work in a transition year when NSW or QLD have a huge number of debutantes? A player that’s a shoe in for the 17 may be kept out because his club has maxed out it’s limit on players.

I’m at the point now where I believe that only clubs with good third party support will always have it over the others. We need to be better in that area to bring better talent to the club, and then the results will follow which will attract better talent again.

I’d like to say I support a marquee signing but I think that would even need to be capped to prevent clubs spending themselves broke.

Even then, how do you determine what a marquee signing should be worth, as any player is worth whatever the market is willing to pay.

• The NBA does it with max contracts, rookie max contracts and super max contracts amongst other things. There are plenty of ideas out there but I don’t think the current administrators have any will to explore them…

• @Nelson:

The NBA does it with max contracts, rookie max contracts and super max contracts amongst other things. There are plenty of ideas out there but I don’t think the current administrators have any will to explore them…

Very true. So many ideas and options out there. I have no faith in the current administration that they would know where to start

• Don’t like the idea.

If you have 7 of your own juniors at Australian or SOO level - why should you lose one?

If you buy them - that is a different story.

• That’s it Russell

If it’s home grown talent than no limit

If they are imports than put a limit on it

Easy

Wait a minute

Not so easy

The roosters would struggle and and old toddy couldn’t have that

• Common, honestly when has that happened? Can you please give example of club and names?

• The NBA do a good job, but it still has it’s flaws. Boogie cousin is case and point

• Surely Brisbane would have come close a few times?

• There was a period in the game, I think during the 50’s-70’s maybe, when clubs had first dibs on any player they developed to rep level.
    That is, if a club had a player that represented say, Australia, then they had to remain at that club.
    I remember reading about how St George boss Frank Facer would resign players on minimal contracts if they had represented Australia, part of the reason that Saints were able to keep such a good team together in the fifties and sixties.
    See “Never Before, Never Again” by Larry Writer.

• The simplest solution is you TELL the ARLPA that we have a draft as of end of season 2019

Deal with it

Recent Topics