Too Slow

You can’t be serious… I noticed a lack of posts from some of these lot when we were winning. We lose one game to the Dogs and theyre out in force saying things like Marsters is average.

Get a grip

We had Addo Carr but apparently he wasn’t good enough to play first grade. Well done Taylor

Trying to be constructive, who are the players to sign in this situation? Assuming the OP is correct and we need faster backs - who?

JAC ok fine, he’s fast. James Roberts. But actually IMO I feel that many sides do not have speed merchants out wide - many sides are going for power in the centres and height out wide.

E.g. Broncos - have Roberts ok. But also Oates and Bird. Dragons are all stocky - Aitken, Lafai, Ravalawa, Pereira. Knights have Ramien, SKD, Lee - that’s power and height there. For Roosters, Manu and Latrell are powerful rather than fast, and Tupou is an ostrich. Warriors - Kata, Hiku, Maumalo, Fusitu’a - mostly a power game. Sharks have Dugan and Morris - lacking for speed. Storm - Scott and Chambers, JAC and Vunivalu. That’s far more power and centre craft than pure pace.

I frankly don’t think there are many true speed merchants going around at the moment.

If I could have any centre at the moment I’d take Jesse Ramien, but he’s just started his deal with the Knights, so who is realistically available? Considering of course that Marsters is a rep-level R centre, you are talking L centre or wing.

There will be a failed NFL player looking for an NRL contract pretty soon I think.

Rhymes with Ballentine Jones

@jirskyr:

JAC ok fine, he’s fast. James Roberts. But actually IMO I feel that many sides do not have speed merchants out wide - many sides are going for power in the centres and height out wide.

E.g. Broncos - have Roberts ok. But also Oates and Bird. Dragons are all stocky - Aitken, Lafai, Ravalawa, Pereira. Knights have Ramien, SKD, Lee - that’s power and height there. For Roosters, Manu and Latrell are powerful rather than fast, and Tupou is an ostrich. Warriors - Kata, Hiku, Maumalo, Fusitu’a - mostly a power game. Sharks have Dugan and Morris - lacking for speed. Storm - Scott and Chambers, JAC and Vunivalu. That’s far more power and centre craft than pure pace.

Practically every single player you mentioned is faster than everyone in our outside backs. Or at least equal to them.
For this year our only option is to promote Smith to wing. We don’t have any fast backs in ISP. Flegg remains to be seen, haven’t had a chance to see any of our boys in open space.

Corey Thompson is fast enough as is Mbye. And frankly I’ve never seen Esan Marsters in an all-out footrace with Solomone Kata or Jack Bird, so it remains to be argue who is faster. Luke Brooks is arguably one of the fastest HBs in the entire comp, but I’ve never actually seen him footrace many of the other HBs, nor do I have access to all the team’s sprint data.

And then to say everyone I mentioned “is at least as fast as our own backline” - well that’s pretty mcuh my point. If they are all about the same pace, then the pace differential ceases to exist = not a talking point. You are either clearly faster than someone, or you are all about the same.

So if we are going to buy for speed, let’s be legitimate and talk about players who are so fast that we can all agree who is faster, rather than some vague assertion that some players in other backlines may or may not be slightly faster or slower than our backline.

You only need to be faster than the person chasing you (/you’re chasing) to score or prevent a try.

I’d say that all of the players you’ve mentioned, bar maybe Bird, are faster than our fastest outside back (thompson)

We have, by far, the slowest backline in the comp. And it’s disappointing.

@TIGER:

There will be a failed NFL player looking for an NRL contract pretty soon I think.

Rhymes with Ballentine Jones

I wouldnt be so sure he is going to fail. The system he is is the same one that promoted Jordan Malata to the NFL draft. Worst case he will get a shot on someones practice squad. Maybe even the Patriots.

You really think he is giving that up.

@Balmain_Boy:

You only need to be faster than the person chasing you (/you’re chasing) to score or prevent a try.

I’d say that all of the players you’ve mentioned, bar maybe Bird, are faster than our fastest outside back (thompson)

We have, by far, the slowest backline in the comp. And it’s disappointing.

Thats the absolute reality of the situation. I wait to see how people try and excuse it and argue it however. Makes for light entertainment.

Masters was great when he wasn’t making mistakes. The problem is that he made a lot of mistakes.

@TIGER:

We really need some speed on Fonuas wing

You want to drop one of our best players? Jennings doesn’t even look fit give me a break.

I think Marsters is an exceptional footballer but he frustrates me. He dances and steps and jinks. I want to see him run on to the ball and try to beat a man through speed through a gap. Can’t recall him stretching out apart from when playing for New Zealand

@Tiger_Steve:

I think Marsters is an exceptional footballer but he frustrates me. He dances and steps and jinks. I want to see him run on to the ball and try to beat a man through speed through a gap. Can’t recall him stretching out apart from when playing for New Zealand

Was at the game and watching him very closely. He had had a quiet start to the season so i was expecting a big game.

Unfortunately Luke Brooks and Benji Marshall are destroying him. He is not Chris Lawrence or the kind of player to hit a hole after the half does all the razzle dazzle.

Same situation as Latrel Mitchell. The only way you use him is to give him early ball and give it to him often.

Marsters is not getting early ball . When he does get early ball he will beat the first man on almost every occasion.

@The_Patriot:

Unfortunately Luke Brooks and Benji Marshall are destroying him. He is not Chris Lawrence or the kind of player to hit a hole after the half does all the razzle dazzle.

Same situation as Latrel Mitchell. The only way you use him is to give him early ball and give it to him often.

Marsters is not getting early ball . When he does get early ball he will beat the first man on almost every occasion.

I take it you didn’t watch the game. Benji was giving him early ball all the time.

Marsters also made a fair number of breaks and then he dropped it or played the ball incorrectly.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.