Ryan Papenhuyzen

• @TCL said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Kid is fast and looked good, but I’m not sure that one match makes an NRL career. Am I disappointed he left, yes I am - I would rather have him at fb before mbye.

Mom - I think that was PR spin just like the comparisons to slater.

Did you miss last week when he tore up?

I’m telling you this kid is a freak.

• @jirskyr said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@TIGER said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Told yas he’d terrorise us.
    Motm too.
    Hughes won’t see the no1 again.

Where are they going to put him then? Hughes is a superior footballer to Paps at this time, and if Melbourne are dumb enough to play him in QLD Cup, Tigers can take Jahrome off their hands gladly.

Honestly I felt the whole thing was a beat-up. The kid scored a really good try and popped up here and there, but it was not MOTM to me and the absolute fawning over him, constantly, by the commentators was nauseating to the point of satire. It reminded me of Brooks’ debut; there was a pre-written narrative about how good Brooks was, and he had a good match sure, but suddenly he truly is the next Andrew Johns, except he goes backwards the next season. The commentators just want an angle and want to beat themselves over every new talent that some pundit points out to them.

The kid is fast, no doubt, but we can all put our pants back on now because that’s just not enough quality to make a career. He’s got a million miles to go, and one length of the field try is such early days. I’ve seen Matt Dufty do things far more amazing with speed, even just a few weeks ago, and he’s not the world’s greatest fullback. But they were banging on about him too when he started.

Paps made one break then the Tigers figured him out, basically swatted him every other time he ran the footy. He is clearly dangerous with the footy, but you only get to surprise oppositions for a few weeks before they specifically target you.

He went alright last week too, I’d rather have Dufty or Pap than Mbye at 1, speed kills.
    Mbye isn’t safe and is slow.

• @Masterton said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Interesting comments in The Australian that doesn’t reflect well upon us.

“Melbourne sold it that they could fix my injuries and I could learn behind Billy (Slater),” Papenhuyzen said.

“That was a pretty easy decision to make. I was playing Tigers for under 15s to about under 20s but I was actually a Parramatta junior. I went through their system. It was one of those stories where they said I was too small and we don’t know whether we can have you. Then I went to the Tigers. I went through the 20s system, had a few injuries and wasn’t really enjoying it at the time because I was always injured.”

“I tore both my hamstrings when I was at the Tigers. We did a lot of work on my running technique down here (in Melbourne) and just switching everything else on. I haven’t had any problems since.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/storm-find-a-fullback-with-pace-in-his-veins/news-story/a385ccc50fecfffb1fb948e5fe1c6508

Like many Parra juniors that cant mave the development squads there…he came to Balmain

• @TIGER Let me add someone of my vintage has seen many a freak that has impressed in a hand full of games and then disappeared into oblivion… my opinion on this fella , has one thing only and that is speed if he puts weight on to combat impact there goes the speed… a one trick pony that will also disappear.

• Well Snake Bellamy appears to have a different view of things. Perhaps that is why the Storm are so professional and successful while we lose and beleive that is acceptable and we’ve done well.

• Only seen him once since the twenties, but pace and particularly speed off the mark are not the limit of his attributes. He was where he needed to be and definitely has a future in the game.

That he has already nailed Billy’s get your boot in the opposition’s faces when in the air crap, shows that he is a quick learner.

• @pawsandclaws1 said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Well Snake Bellamy appears to have a different view of things. Perhaps that is why the Storm are so professional and successful while we lose and beleive that is acceptable and we’ve done well.

I have no idea whether he will be a future champ or a storm in a teacup, but lets not pretend Bellamy loves him. He’s only there because 2 ahead off him went down.

• @Masterton said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Interesting comments in The Australian that doesn’t reflect well upon us.

“Melbourne sold it that they could fix my injuries and I could learn behind Billy (Slater),” Papenhuyzen said.

“That was a pretty easy decision to make. I was playing Tigers for under 15s to about under 20s but I was actually a Parramatta junior. I went through their system. It was one of those stories where they said I was too small and we don’t know whether we can have you. Then I went to the Tigers. I went through the 20s system, had a few injuries and wasn’t really enjoying it at the time because I was always injured.”

“I tore both my hamstrings when I was at the Tigers. We did a lot of work on my running technique down here (in Melbourne) and just switching everything else on. I haven’t had any problems since.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/storm-find-a-fullback-with-pace-in-his-veins/news-story/a385ccc50fecfffb1fb948e5fe1c6508

Doesn’t reflect well? Paps is 20 years old, which means he signed with Melbourne when he was 17. How can any club promise to fix injuries of a flyweight 17 y.o. who hasn’t even grown into his body yet. And now he’s played 6 games of FG and it’s all fine?

Paps is an ungainly runner, I don’t doubt that they had to rebuild his technique. He’d be another level faster if he actually ran upright and kept his head still, but that terrier-type striding helps him scarper around the in-goal, so it’s not all negative.

Right at the same time as Paps left Tigers were rehabilitating Tedesco (knees) and Lawrence (hammys) and that turned out well for both players. Sounds like crap to me. Sounds like a little fellow not having the physical maturity yet to keep himself on the field.

• @jirskyr I have no idea of the truth of the matter, but if there is perception amongst players that Melby can fix these problems and we can’t, that’s a problem for us.

• We have to look at why we allowed Tedesco so much latitude. I believe cutting him loose like Moses should have been the first option,

• @jirskyr Exactly. Teddy’s running style was also modified while with us ( for his knees) and Benji’s shoulder problems fixed. Neither has had any issues since. At the end of the day Paps can swing it how he likes, but he had the games premier fullback, coach and club willing to take him on. Slater was far closer to the end then Teddy. We will never know, but i’m confident if Teddy had of been early 30’s and Billy early 20’s Paps would still be calling Concord home.

• Buzz said on Controversy Corner tonight that Storm tried to shop him around to all 15 clubs in DEC, even offering to cover $80K.
    Happy to see him to get his opportunity. I thought he looked electric and was great for them the other night.

Tedesco actually credits the Blues camp for helping with the change in his (running) technique, he said it on the Matty Johns show about a month or so ago.

Also another point to consider is, wouldn’t both those clubs have far more superior training facilities than us?

• @Lauren said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Buzz said on Controversy Corner tonight that Storm tried to shop him around to all 15 clubs in DEC, even offering to cover $80K.
    Happy to see him to get his opportunity. I thought he looked electric and was great for them the other night.

Tedesco actually credits the Blues camp for helping with the change in his (running) technique, he said it on the Matty Johns show about a month or so ago.

Also another point to consider is, wouldn’t both those clubs have far more superior training facilities than us?

Better facilities and bigger/better coaching staff. We would be at the bottom end of football dept spending I’d imagine.

• @Lauren said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Buzz said on Controversy Corner tonight that Storm tried to shop him around to all 15 clubs in DEC, even offering to cover $80K.

Teddy doesn’t give Wests Tigers credit for anything. He would rather we were wiped from history than have to re-live that he came through our system.

• @Furious1 said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@Lauren said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Teddy doesn’t give Wests Tigers credit for anything. He would rather we were wiped from history than have to re-live that he came through our system.

I reckon, anyone who says he’ll do a LeBron is kidding themselves. It was a one way trip when he left.

Recent Topics