Jersey Flegg Round 5 team announcement

• Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Head Coach Wayne Lambkin has named his side to take on the North Sydney Bears for their Round 5 clash this Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval.

Kickoff for the match is at 3:10pm AEST as Wests Tigers look to build on their last start win over the Victoria Thunderbolts and continue their good start to the year.

Combining well in last week’s win over the Thunderbolts, Gus Garzaniti and Jock Madden have again been named in the halves together while 2019 Development Player Henry Lealuga-Puhotau retains his spot in the forward pack.

Ben Seufale, Billy Stapleton and Lucas Castle all get their chances in the run-on forward pack while Shondre Lee-Silva gets his first start of the year on the wing.

Match: Wests Tigers v Bears
    ROUND 5 - SUNDAY 14TH APRIL

3:10pm
    Venue: Leichhardt Oval

WESTS TIGERS
    1. Logen Dillon
    2. Liam Scolari
    3. Zac Cini
    4. Curtis Wilson
    5. Shondre Lee-Silva
    6. Gus Garzaniti
    7. Jock Madden
    8. Mavoni Tuifua
    9. Rua Ngati
    10. Henry Lealuga-Puhotau
    11. Billy Stapleton
    12. Ben Seufale
    13. Lucas Castle

Interchange:
    14. Ray Jankovic
    15. Jordan Main
    16. Sione Tupou
    17. Felix Smith
    18. Kobe Chamberlain
    20. Bryn Callaghan

Coach: Wayne Lambkin

• With a few players being promoted to NSW Cup it obviously weakens this team a bit, Wilson is a decent replacement for Talau. Lee Silva wasn’t great last year but with stronger players around him might go better.

There’s still a decent chance that once a few of the NRL players drop down to NSW Cup that some or all of the development boys end up playing in Flegg anyway. Whomever misses out on NRL between Nof, Fonua and Jennings will probably push Bradley back to Flegg for example.

Another good chance to watch the juniors play with both Flegg and NSW Cup on at Leichhardt this sunday arvo, with NSW cup on tv too.

• Hoping we play expansive footy even though it might be a little bit wet. We have some very good talent across the board - I have faith in the team to keep improving and confirm their potential for the WT’s future.

• Also pleased to see Mavoni in the starting side. He has a point to prove and this is his chance to do so.

• Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg have come from behind to down the North Sydney Bears 22-14 in their Round 5 clash today at Leichhardt Oval to make it back-to-back wins for the young guns.

Trailing 14-6 at the half-time break, Wests Tigers fought back with three tries in the space of 20 minutes to re-take the lead over North Sydney and ensure it would be a perfect round of results for Wests Tigers, with the club’s NRL, Canterbury Cup and Tarsha Gale side all recording wins throughout the Round 5 weekend.

The win sees Wests Tigers move in to the top eight of the Jersey Flegg ladder for the first time this season ahead of next week’s clash with the Parramatta Eels.

After a tight start to the match, it was the home side who eventually broke the deadlock when an inside pass from Jock Madden put Lucas Castle over for his first try of the year. Madden’s conversion gave Wests Tigers a 6-0 lead after 14 minutes but it would be short-lived as North Sydney soon took the lead courtesy of tries to Mason McCarthy and Max Altus — both of which were converted by the visitors.

Leading by six, Connor Garetty would add a further two points to the Bears’ lead right on the stroke of half-time with a penalty goal for an infringement off the ball.

Needing to score first in the second half, Wests Tigers found a way back in to the contest through Zac Cini three minutes in to the half, before Logen Dillon continued his good form to start the year with a try in the 52nd minute to give his side the lead.

Madden’s individual effort shortly after took the lead out beyond a converted try, with his third conversion for the afternoon giving Wests Tigers a 22-14 advantage.

The scoreline remained as such over the final 10 minutes as Wests Tigers held their nerve defensively — capping off a great afternoon of results for the club.

Wests Tigers will look to make it three wins in a row against Parramatta next week.

Wests Tigers 22 (Castle, Cini, Dillon, Madden tries; Madden 3/4 goals) def. North Sydney Bears 14 (McCarthy, Altus tries; Garetty 3/3 goals)

From WT website

• Madden was good. Led the team well, kicked well in general play for the most part with a variety of bombs, grubbers and long range kicks. Goal kicking was good too, nailed a couple from the sideline in the wind, but did miss one closer to the posts. Scored the decisive try. Growing into his role nicely.

Mavoni ran hard, might get suspended for a late shoulder charge on an opponent. He and Henry laid a decent platform, the bench props did well too.

Cini looked dangerous everytime he got the ball. Breaking tackles, scoring a good try, make several half busts.

Dillon is a pocket dynamo at the back and did well to burrow over close to the line.

Lucas Castle was excellent, as was Jordan Main you ran and tackled well off the bench. Shondre also played well in his first game of the season.

Discipline let the boys down a few times. Castle bombed a try under the posts after getting a good bounce off a Madden grubber. Then we give away a penalty on the 4th tackle and then suddenly we go from almost scoring at one end to letting them sneak in at the other. A penalty near halfway with 10 seconds to go in the first half was also stupid, although the ref (who had a shocker - penalty count was about 11-1 against us) gave them an extra 10m which with the wind at his back the kicker nailed.

Kept it tighter in the second with the wind at our backs and our better players came to the fore to get the win against an inferior but gallant Bears side. Considering we were missing a few of our better players due to promotions to NSW cup they did well to play as fluidly as they did and get the win.

• I’m fifty fifty atm in regards to madden, I understand he’s learning, someone from the tigers inner sanctum wraps him every week on the website, which is crap cause he hasn’t been that good overall, especially for the massive wraps he’s got on him, albeit he’s behind a very ordinary pack of forwards. Mavoni was good, Henry is a massive disappointment, unfortunately a poor call giving him a development contract, I watched him very closely yesterday he was looking for a rest after just 6 mins. There attack was poor full stop. Cini and Dillon need the ball, they are our best players in this side when Talau and Bradley are out, they need to touch the ball every set for this side to win. Garzaniti is very slow and a hog, pass the football son to better players outside you.

• @leftrightout:

I’m fifty fifty atm in regards to madden, I understand he’s learning, someone from the tigers inner sanctum wraps him every week on the website, which is crap cause he hasn’t been that good overall, especially for the massive wraps he’s got on him, albeit he’s behind a very ordinary pack of forwards. Mavoni was good, Henry is a massive disappointment, unfortunately a poor call giving him a development contract, I watched him very closely yesterday he was looking for a rest after just 6 mins. There attack was poor full stop. Cini and Dillon need the ball, they are our best players in this side when Talau and Bradley are out, they need to touch the ball every set for this side to win. Garzaniti is very slow and a hog, pass the football son to better players outside you.

Not sure what games you’ve been watcing. Madden is averaging 3 try assists a game, and scoring a try a game too. He’s kicking well, defending well, and for a youngster playing behind an ok (but not amazing) pack he’s doing very well. Not sure how much more you can expect from him. IMO he’s ahead of where Brooks and Moses were at the same time - given his composure and voice on field. Brooks and moses had only one of these traits each, he has both.

Mavoni runs very hard which is great, but he also has poor discipline. Henry has much greater ball skills than any of our other forwards, and can run hard but doesn’t consistently steam onto the ball like mavoni does. Henry was a second rower previously so he’s not as used to primarily carting the ball up I imagine.

Dillon is good, but reminds me a bit of Shannon Gallant. Mighty mouse junior.

• I’ve watched every game, 3 try assists every game is good, watch how he can’t tackle ,he went missing against bulldogs(only good side they have played so far), (but he’s not alone), watch how he is most times a tackle too late in getting the ball to the 1 and 3, he pushes for a rubbish set up play and it’s a tackle too late, I watched for the first 3 games how he dropped under slow forwards on tackle 3(mainly Seyfarth), all it did was give time to the opposition to reset there edge when he needed to shift it quickly, in the second half yesterday, he wasn’t watching, on tackles 1-3 the opposition fullback was 5 meters behind the line on halfway 4 times ,and the wingers were up, he didn’t kick early once with a big breeze at his back, don’t get carried away with the name and the hype, he’s going ok, but he’s far from the player you think he is, fullback isn’t very big, but he beats tackles week after week, speed and footwork he has, hopefully the can get another 10 kilos on him in next preseason because nobody puts a shot on him now and he holds off defenders and offloads like late in the game yesterday, Cini is elusive, and very promising, doesn’t see much clean ball, but the better backs in this side just don’t see enough ball, forward pack is ordinary, let’s go through them, mavoni runs hard, is unfit, and walks in d after 10 mins, Ngati very promising, makes a lot breaks but doesn’t look to pass once in the clear, Henry is a myth but has a development contract so will get all the favours, so disappointing definitely not a leader at this level and a massive bludger in d, Stapleton and Callaghan are hopeless, Senn Kane slow and hopeless, Seyfarth I’ll give him his credit went better in reserve on sat than how he’s been in 20’s. seafale is ok but not consistent, Felix smith is a good defender, castle is known as handbrake amongst other players and main is one of lambkins favourites wouldn’t make any other side.

• The good ones will get their chance in CC especially Madden and Cini. Dillon looks more like a winger than fullback after the games I’ve seen and mistake prone but Bradley did well yesterday and he’s made plenty of mistakes in 20s so there is hope he can step up. The future is looking good

• Yeah time will tell, not sure about mistake prone, I think Seyfarth and Cini made more mistakes in that game against dogs than other players have made all year, think Seyfarth made 7 errors in that game, 2 led to tries and Cini run out or turn ball on first tackle a few times , but Dillon does need to address his defence, he has too many misses , and will cost the side if not addressed, but then again did hear the someone from the bench say he won them the game with an important tackle and try yesterday, Cini is promising , without Cini and Dillon touching the ball every second set, they won’t win many games if Talau and Bradley stay in Reggie’s.

• Guys can anyone tell me why the knights let madden go some one told me they went for phonex Crossland instead is this true

• Not sure about that, probably couldn’t keep both on development contracts I assume?

• I remember reading a quote from one of the Knights recruitment and retention managers saying that they really rated Madden and wanted him to stay but we offered him a development contract which they couldn’t match because they felt they had other juniors that were higher up on the pecking order than him. He made some good points about how development contracts make it easier for clubs to potch promising Juniors from other clubs with big nurseries with the promise of being in the mix for first grade after the first year.

• Thanks Celtic guy I heard a similar thing where the knights wanted to keep him but there was 4 or 5 in front of him from the sgball side they wanted to keep we have him now hopefully he kicks on

Recent Topics