Jersey Flegg dominate Eels to secure third straight win

Jersey Flegg dominate Eels to secure third straight win
Author
Dan Talintyre
Timestamp
Sat 20 Apr 2019, 04:24 PM

Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg side have overcome another slow start to down the Parramatta Eels 36-10 at New Era Stadium.

After falling behind early last week against North Sydney before fighting back, Wayne Lampkin’s side again made it hard for themselves with an early 10-0 deficit, but the class of Jock Madden and Zac Cini again shone through for Wests Tigers as they piled on 36 unanswered points to secure their third win in a row.

Having failed to win their opening two matches, Wests Tigers have now clawed their way to sixth on the Jersey Flegg ladder and are just one point off the equal first-placed Cronulla Sharks, who they’ll face next week at Lidcombe Oval.

Down 10-0 after as many minutes, tries to Rua Ngati and Cini put the visitors back in front shortly before the half-time break, with Cini’s second try of the half giving Wests Tigers a well-deserved 18-10 lead. Parramatta threatened to reduce the lead with a dominant period after half-time but were unable to crack the Wests Tigers defence and were soon made to pay when Madden crossed in the 51st minute.

Curtis Wilson put the game beyond doubt when he crossed 10 minutes from full-time before Shondre Lee-Silva extended the lead to 26 points as the siren sounded.

Maguire gives final word on Easter Monday clash

Madden again continued his impressive form with the boot — landing all six of his conversion attempts to hand Wests Tigers’ young guns their third in a row.

Wests Tigers will look to extend their winning streak to four games next Sunday when they take on the Sharks at Lidcombe Oval in a day that will feature as the “Return to Lidcombe” Round for Western Suburbs Magpies in Canterbury Cup.

Wests Tigers 36 (Cini 2, Ngati, Madden, Wilson, Lee-Silva tries; Madden 6/6 goals) def. Parramatta Eels 10 (Fonua, Small tries; Schneider 1/2 goals)

Thanks for posting @TheDaBoss. Anyone see the game? Sounds like Cini went well again and Madden’s 6/6 goal kicking is music to my ears.

last edited by BalmainJnr

Looks like the boys are definitely finding some form now - big test next week against a pretty good Sharks side.

@willow said in Jersey Flegg dominate Eels to secure third straight win:

Looks like the boys are definitely finding some form now - big test next week against a pretty good Sharks side.

Sharks will be a good indication of where we are but as I’ve said we have a very good side that just gets better and better and will continue to do so.

Both Eels’ tries were ultimately due to some silly penalties which still are a bit of a problem. If we can eliminate some of these we will become a bigger force.

I am impressed with Chops. We sat near the coaching group and I noticed some of his instructions being sent out and they all made good sense.

These kids are a good group and are supporting each other when good and bad things happen. It’s not hard to see they are enjoying their football.

Like anything, if you can get on a roll and see what you can do, the platform is there to build on for the rest of the season regardless of good and bad games.

Good win by the boys although being honest parramatta were garbage, they haven’t won a game yet this year. Madden kicked well, and backed up well, Ngati costs his side a certain 4 pointer by hogging the football in the first half, does this a lot. Young Cini was very good , just so elusive, both front rowers were good, Dillon had poor first half, not involved, and had a bad miss in defence, but had a good second half, cut parra open a few times on kick returns in the second half, very good under the high ball, was definitely the marked man in our side, parra were screaming where he was on every tackle, parra were worried about him, my man of the match would have been the winger Shondre lee , really impressive yesterday well played young man.

Good for the boys to get another win.

I really don’t think Cini will be on a development contract next year. He’s currently the only tall, fast and elusive player we have across all three grades and we’re desperately lacking someone like him in first grade. No need to rush him, give him time to get used to playing against bigger bodies and to fill out a bit but he’s certainly the best outside back prospect at the club.

I look forward to seeing them at Lidcombe next weekend.

@Balmain_Boy mate Cini can play the game but he’s got a bad habit of running across field as he goes up in grade the defence moves up a lot quicker he won’t get away with it and let’s face it the defence in Flegg is rubbish from all the sides . it will be interesting to see how they go from here on they start to play the better sides good luck boys

@fred yeah it is hard to gauge much from flegg defence, which is why it will be good to see him have a go in nsw cup at some point. i don’t mind him occasionally running across field probing for a lazy defender to run past.
I’d rather see him than Talau play centre in NSW Cup for now, as long term he can add more to our backline.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.