ANZAC Day game

• Does anyone know the reason why the ANZAC day game is only ever played by the Roosters and St George?..Why do the Nrl deem these two teams the privilege of playing year after year on such an important day…I’m sure all the other clubs would love this opportunity to play on this day to show their respect for past and present members of our Armed Forces…

• @Tigerlily Think Melbourne & the Warriors also play. It is just that theirs is the night game and not such a long standing tradition.

• Cheers! @Harvey I didn’t realise that they play two games…Would still be interested to know why they don’t allow the other teams to play the main game…

• Rather not have an ANZAC Day match - affects the turnarounds if it’s an awkward day of the week e.g. Tuesday.

• @Tigerlily The AFL have done it for years with Collingwood and Essendon. We have our own tradition playing on Easter Monday, so we aren’t forgotten. I like that they have designated games on public holidays. I’d much rather us play Good Friday as opposed to Easter Monday though.

• Don’t mind it to be honest. The game probably needs more traditions, rather than less these days.
    What I don’t like is the ANZAC jerseys, no way should RL be making money off those who gave their lives to make the world a better place. I know they give 10 cents or something to the RSL per jersey but really RL has no place profiteering of this

• @Harvey It’s not that longstanding a tradition. The Roosters v Dragons game was first played on Anzac Day in 2002. The Storm v Warriors game was first played in 2009.

• Probably because they’ve both got red in their jerseys and can incorporate poppies into their Anzac jersey design better.

Who knows, maybe it’s because the Roosters are short of cash and need the bums on seats.

• Melbourne & Warriors play too
    Its just tradition
    Souths Dogs good Friday
    Us and eels Easter Mon
    a few others

• @TIGER said in ANZAC Day game:

Probably because they’ve both got red in their jerseys and can incorporate poppies into their Anzac jersey design better.

Who knows, maybe it’s because the Roosters are short of cash and need the bums on seats.

Hahaha yeah that would it 😂

Recent Topics