How about some coaching...

• I sat in the southern end of the stand high up and watching this team trying to form an attacking raid was comical. It basically was 5 hit ups and a kick …there was heaps of opportunity at the edges ,absolutely no ball movement . So my question is what is McGuire doing through the week he had 11 days to train this rabble . The one thing that stood out is the club needs to find two strong and fast centres as absolutely no name players just made these two look slow and weak .
    What is McGuire going to do with this lot ?really will not amount to much as a large portion of this playing group are not NRL level players …I suppose the one positive is hopefully everyone else will see the need to move players on as nothing going to change if this does not happen.

• It’s a fair criticism. Our attack has been abysmal all year. Week after week we watch opposing teams score easy tries down the wings. It feels like we haven’t created any space for our outside backs at all.

At the moment it feels like our playbook reads;

Chapter 1 - Run one out
    Chapter 2 - Brooks short ball to Garner
    Chapter 3 - Kick and Pray

I remember a few years ago Tedesco credited Sandercock with coming up with a few of our attacking plays. I wonder who is coming up with the bland, flavourless attack we are dishing up at the moment.

• Think Sandercock is still there. Our attack is the same as it has been since he joined in 2017, except now there is no Tedesco.

We have had 3 coaches in that time & scored points under none of them.

• we need to offload more

• We have no threats in attack.
    Look at Parra, they have genuine attacking threats Moses, Gutho, Jennings and their big one was out Fergo, can you imagine what Fergo would have done to us in that game?

We really lack attacking class, a real strike weapon, the top teams have at least 2 or 3 we have zero.
    Masters is probably it, but he shuffles and pussy foots around and runs side ways or gets the ball flat footed and tries to shrug off defenders and goes nowhere.
    I’d actually say that our attacking threat is Thompson, and that’s a worry.

• @TIGER Masters in no centre to small and way to slow I do not know where he fits in actually but it certainly is not where he is atm

• @Snake said in How about some coaching...:

@TIGER Masters in no centre to small and way to slow I do not know where he fits in actually but it certainly is not where he is atm

I wouldn’t say he’s too small but I agree, I don’t know what his best position is either.

• There is something horribly wrong with our attack. We are always flat, everyone runs outwards when they get the ball, the first man play is horribly predictable.

I do not think that this is the players, this is a structure that needs to change.

• We are setup to be a grinding team that plays hard and generates pressure by repeat sets.
    We need to play flat at the line with short passing and simplify it. Our entire attack is Farah out of dummy half, Brooks Running or Reynolds grubbering. Mbye kills the attack whenever he chimes in from Fullback. He was solid at hooker though.

• Had no ball today after about 20 minutes it was 70% Parra. At that point I don’t know what attacking structures are to be expected when you let them in for a try every 5 minutes.

• Today was complete garbage but to judge the season on this performance is as comical as the effort the team put in today.

• Today was bad, no one can argue that.

Team went to pieces … It was Parramatta celebration before, during and after the game by everyone including the media, NRL and estimated 25,000 screaming Parramatta fans at the game. They got their pound of flesh in spades.
    And we lost 2 points valuable points, respect and probably are now on edge os a poor end season performance.

Nothing has changed in my mind about this team. Say what you want but AGAIN this year is an experiment time under a new coach. Anyone that expected more than what the results that we are getting are kidding themselves.

We have a roster which on paper looks reasonable but is defiantly not semi finals materials or of a good NRL standard,

Yes we need speed and size on the wings, at least one classy centre and a tough experienced ball playing lock forward.

Madge is no fool he can see what he’s got and is trying to keep it simple. The forwards he will want to keep long term first have to build a platform on solid defence and consistent gains in meters. That’s why you don’t see much ball release at present.

His so called experienced forwards are not performing. Bugger if I know what Packer and Matulino are getting paid for. They are going through the motions and I just can’t see anything positive on that horizon.

On selection front I also can’t see how you can have Garner and Matterson in the staring side and/or on the field at the same time. They need a solid 80 minutes hard tackling partner with them. Lawrence would be ideal but I think with his current injury that may be bridge too far.

I really can’t make a call on Brooks until our forward pack takes control and start getting consistently over the top of opposing packs. Spine can’t operate and engage back line effectively without this … so he is currently being held responsible for something he has no control over.

Finally on today’s performance I really think that Madge should think about giving players such as Fonua, Jennings, Garner and Packer some time in reserve grade. Chee Kam only survives as a 21 man back up for mine.

That’s my penny’s worth!

• @Harvey said in How about some coaching...:

There is something horribly wrong with our attack. We are always flat, everyone runs outwards when they get the ball, the first man play is horribly predictable.

I do not think that this is the players, this is a structure that needs to change.

Totally agree Harvey! That was so obvious against Parra, who mostly charged onto the ball and always dented the line and made it almost impossible for us to wrestle.

• @barra - more attitude and lack of talent than coaching imo.
    Same Parra team last year with the same coach were woeful. Started the year better and the performance is much better.
    They got on a roll and exposed all our weaknesses. We dont have the talent to recover when that happens. Under the same circimstances against the Roosters they would have put more than 50 on us.
    Maguire is a good coach he has proved that - but in a situation like yesterday doubt any coach could prevent that happening with this current squad.

• We need a leader on the field, an organiser and a field position kicker. Do we have those?

Leader?- not Brooks or Mbye, maybe Farah, but he is his last legs and he was out yesterday with concussion pretty soon after the starting whistle.

Organiser? not Brooks, buggered if I know who.

Field position kicker? Not a strong point at WT.

Before you can even look at getting better backline players what is the point without having these positions / roles working properly?

Recent Topics