Timestamp
    Wed 24 Apr 2019, 03:43 PM
    Share on social media
    Share via Facebook
    Share via Twiiter
    Share via Whats-app
    Share via Reddit
    Share via Email
    Wests Tigers forward Alex Twal says his side’s drop in their defensive principles against Parramatta is the biggest area to correct on Saturday as they take on the Gold Coast Titans.

Michael Maguire’s side were run over by the Eels in a heavy 51-6 defeat in Round 6 as part of the annual Easter Monday clash between the two sides, with Twal highlighting how disappointing the performance was given the solid start to 2019.

“Up until the weekend, we’d really built our season on strong defensive principles,” Twal said. "So 51-6… yeah, it’s not something we take lightly at all.

"We pride ourselves on our defence and Madge is a defensive coach, so it was disappointing because defensively, the scoreboard paints the picture there.

"It’s a tough one because we know there’s lots of improvement in us.

"The NRL is a game and a sport that you just need to be on every round or the result won’t go your way and we really didn’t show that on the weekend.

“For us, 1-17, we just need to nail our jobs.”

One of the team’s best through the first six weeks of the year, Twal said the progress the side has made defensively didn’t show up on Monday, which wasn’t a fair reward to work put in by the club’s coaching staff or support shown by the fans.

“Of course he disappointed,” Twal said when asked about the coach’s reaction.

“We play for Madge as much as ourselves and we were disappointed with the performance we put out there. Madge doesn’t deserve that, the coaching staff doesn’t deserve it and the fans don’t deserve it either so we’ll be looking to bounce back this weekend. That’s all we can control and all we’re focused on.”

Off the back of another short turnaround, Wests Tigers will travel to Tamworth on Friday before taking on the in-form Gold Coast Titans at Scully Park.

After a slow start to the year, Garth Brennan’s side have won their past two games and have a good record over Wests Tigers with five wins in their past six meetings.

Match: Wests Tigers v Titans
    ROUND 7 - SATURDAY 27TH APRIL

Spot on twal, 👍 👍

• Thompson and Twal are the only ones excused from Monday’s performance

• One win out of our last 5 against them, horrendous.

• Why is Twal making apologies? He with Thompson’s are the only two who can walk away from Monday with their heads held high.

• @Cultured_Bogan

Spirits rise when they recieve the ball

Twal deserves a try

• That was Twal’s worst game for us though. Missed 3 tackles which all led to tries.

For a guy that usually doesn’t miss more than 1 tackle, he had a shocker.

• Ah I love Twal, he is the epitome of the tough, no-nonsense, no excuses front rower. Takes it up hard, tackles anything and everything and gives his all when he is on the field, win or lose. Pity a couple of his more ‘illustrious’ front row team mates don’t emulate him when they’re playing. We might be in a much better position on the ladder if they did.

• @Cultured_Bogan said in Twal determined to reinforce defensive principles again:

Why is Twal making apologies? He with Thompson’s are the only two who can walk away from Monday with their heads held high.

Twal’s worst game of the season. The effort was there but he missed some important tackles - most unlike him.

He seems to be playing long minutes before being benched. I wonder it that is affecting his effectiveness.

• Yep I agree, worst game I have seen him play for us.
    But he should bounce back … he is a good developing forward.
    And some of our so called experienced hard men were nowhere to be seen on Monday.
    This performance has got me really down and especially letting Moses rub our noses in the dirt really hurt.
    Really disappointed …

• Defensive Principles

Give me a break …hit and stick 1st up …do it for 80 minutes

• @happy_tiger
    That defensive effort on Monday was woe-full!!!.
    It’s first time this season I had the pleasure seeing the team play. That performance was a disgrace … not just for this club, team and sponsors but us … poor fans of this mob.
    To mark such occasion as opening of the new stadium in front of 30,000 people and god knows what the tv audience numbers were … with such inept, without pride and gutless performance … I’m just lost for words.
    And you talk of defence. I don’t know how many times I was watching at least three west tigers players unsuccessfully (usually the guy would either stay upright or git the ball away) try to bring an opponent down. Comically one of ours would be on the ground trying to wrap their legs. Just amateur hour stuff. I was embarrassed to be a supporter and still am.
    I can’t recall once where our forward would take on the line and successfully pass the ball to promote second phase attack. Our experienced forwards turning their back on opposition, not getting to defensive line in time.
    And worst of all no pressure on Moses and Gutherson … the only two players in that side which screamed danger.
    Just where are we at?
    I’m close to giving up.

• What gets me, is that the reason we lost is because “the other team was up for it, and we weren’t”.

Well why the heck weren’t we up for it? Absolutely pathetic.

• @TigerTiger said in Twal determined to reinforce defensive principles again:

What gets me, is that the reason we lost is because “the other team was up for it, and we weren’t”.

Well why the heck weren’t we up for it? Absolutely pathetic.

We were up for it until Parra started playing football!!
    We go ok against teams that slug away but as soon as we come up against a side that isn’t afraid play a bit of footy they leave us behind.

• @momo_amp_medo said in Twal determined to reinforce defensive principles again:

@happy_tiger
    That defensive effort on Monday was woe-full!!!.
    It’s first time this season I had the pleasure seeing the team play. That performance was a disgrace … not just for this club, team and sponsors but us … poor fans of this mob.
    To mark such occasion as opening of the new stadium in front of 30,000 people and god knows what the tv audience numbers were … with such inept, without pride and gutless performance … I’m just lost for words.
    And you talk of defence. I don’t know how many times I was watching at least three west tigers players unsuccessfully (usually the guy would either stay upright or git the ball away) try to bring an opponent down. Comically one of ours would be on the ground trying to wrap their legs. Just amateur hour stuff. I was embarrassed to be a supporter and still am.
    I can’t recall once where our forward would take on the line and successfully pass the ball to promote second phase attack. Our experienced forwards turning their back on opposition, not getting to defensive line in time.
    And worst of all no pressure on Moses and Gutherson … the only two players in that side which screamed danger.
    Just where are we at?
    I’m close to giving up.

I agree 1000% …any coincidence every game we have won rain has played a part

People getting angry that one minute we are riding a crest of a wave and then beating the club the next game is losing games that badly at this level is unacceptable

You simply can’t gloss over and it say we will be better next week …just shows no accountability …and probably brings us back to a core problem

Members can’t make anyone at the club accountable in any way unless they penalise the actual club …(not rejoining )

• @fibrodreaming aware, he’s far more consistent than most of his mates though. Can forgive the one I’ll performance. Works like a dog while some of his teammates stink it up.

Recent Topics