Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar

• https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/wests-tigers-prop-alex-twal-on-blues-coach-brad-fittlers-radar/news-story/4e777a9ab43fc170238f311f5156d1b8

Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar

Wests Tigers’ tackling machine Alex Twal is the Parramatta discard who has the full attention of NSW coach Brad Fittler.

While Fittler stopped short of declaring Twal a Blues bolter for the Origin series opener on June 5, he admitted the 22-year old’s mammoth performance against Brisbane in round five made him hard to ignore.

“He made 58 tackles, which is extraordinary for a front rower. He’s a unique player in that he’s a front rower who can play big minutes,” said Fittler, who visited Twal in the Tigers’ dressing room after their win over the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Fittler and Twal first got to know each other when the Blues coach was in charge of Lebanon at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

“He’s always been one of the best front rowers coming up in his age group all the way through. He’s always been the first picked for New South Wales. I’ve always been impressed with his attitude. He’s got everyone’s attention now. I like the kid.”

Twal was promoted from the bench to the starting side this year by new Tigers coach Michael Maguire and the move has proved a masterstroke.

According to Fox Sports Lab, the young prop is the most effective defensive front rower in the competition this season, making 201 tackles in five rounds and missing only three.

“I take a lot of pride in my defence and Madge is a real defensive coach but it’s not just me, right across the board all the boys are putting in work and defending for each other,” Twal told The Daily Telegraph.

“I just try to thrive off that and improve my performances so I never let anyone down. I’m never satisfied, I’m never content. I just always want to keep on improving.”

Twal, an Eels junior, was considered one of the best prospects in the game having played for NSW under-20s and the Junior Kangaroos in 2015 and 2016.

The prop didn’t see a future for himself under Eels coach Brad Arthur and that helped deliver him to Concord in 2017.

“I was young at that stage but the opportunity wasn’t coming at the Eels, so I had to hedge my bets and move on,” he said.

“It was a blessing in disguise. I couldn’t be happier at the Tigers.

“It was the best decision I have ever made coming to the Tigers and I haven’t looked back. “The Tigers were willing to give me an opportunity in first grade and I took that with both hands and it’s worked out for the better.”

Veteran Tigers hooker and Lebanon teammate Robbie Farah was also glowing in his praise of the rising star but he couldn’t help but point out a particular flaw.

“I think he’s been the form front rower for our team. I can’t wrap him too much because he was spraying me after the game in an interview calling me a fossil saying I was born in 1971. “The one thing about him is he’s actually not the smartest bloke in the world.”

Well deserved if he gets it

• Deserves to be looked at for sure.

• Form wise he is probably in the Top 5 props in the game , but speaking of props I can’t believe last night they were talking up Lodge for SOO …based on his WT’s game he was lucky not to get dropped …he was awful

• Wasn’t he also the best defensive prop in 2018, all season?

• timw for some WST action in Origin

• We need to lock this guy up long term before he gets too expensive. Off contract at the end of 2020 - get it done before 1 November this year.

• @2041 said in Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar:

We need to lock this guy up long term before he gets too expensive.

Do you reckon Twal’s agent is not aware of his rising value and would be happy to sign him up now on a modest contract for the long-term ?

I’d love to see Twal signed up long term, but I wouldn’t want us to “low-ball” him.

• @2041 said in Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar:

We need to lock this guy up long term before he gets too expensive. Off contract at the end of 2020 - get it done before 1 November this year.

Prior to June 30 with a top up if we have anything left in this year’s cap. Not an impact player or leader by any means, but a set and forget middle man that routinely delivers pretty well all that he is capable of.

• Humble pie much Brad! considering a few weeks ago you said WTs players weren’t even on your radar for SoO 🤨… Now your looking at Twal and I’ve heard whispers that Mattersons also been mentioned.👍

• @fibrodreaming said in Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar:

@2041 said in Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar:

We need to lock this guy up long term before he gets too expensive.

Do you reckon Twal’s agent is not aware of his rising value and would be happy to sign him up now on a modest contract for the long-term ?

I’d love to see Twal signed up long term, but I wouldn’t want us to “low-ball” him.

If we go now we have some leverage: offer the kid the chance to secure his long term future now so he’s protected against injury or loss of form. His agent might tell him to hold out for a better deal here or elsewhere after the season but when the money is on the table now and it seems pretty fair, it’ll be pretty tempting to take it. Once everyone else can come in there’s no leverage left and we’ll pay full market value or lose him. A club in the Tigers’ position has to exploit every single advantage it can.

• If Twal develops a late offload or just a good offload in general he will be a superstar in a few years. I have a feeling he does have an offload but has been told by Cleary formerly and now Madge to just tuck it under the arm. I would lock him away for 4 yrs i think he will be that good, he’s our best prop now and he’s 22 props bloom from their mid 20’s on.

We need to lock this guy up long term before he gets too expensive. Off contract at the end of 2020 - get it done before 1 November this year.

It would be great if he could, but he may not necessarily want to recommit yet, especially if plays Origin. The club can’t force him to negotiate.

• would be great to see a tigers player in origin and if it does happen, some people in the canterbury cup can step up and get a shot, at first grade 😄

• @happy_tiger said in Wests Tigers prop Alex Twal on Blues coach Brad Fittler’s radar:

Form wise he is probably in the Top 5 props in the game , but speaking of props I can’t believe last night they were talking up Lodge for SOO …based on his WT’s game he was lucky not to get dropped …he was awful

Lodge played very well last season and was on the verge of Origin selection I believe, but there were still a few good, more experienced props ahead of him at the time. I think the general consensus was that he was a good possibility of being picked this year if he was still playing well. However, his form this season, like much of the Broncos team, has dropped dramatically. I don’t think he will get near Origin this year, there are far more in form props running around…like Twal!

I don’t think Twal would let anyone down if he was selected and he doesn’t seem like the type of player who would get over awed by the occasion either. He would just get in and do his job as he always does. And he’s not solely a tackling machine either, he also makes good metres every game, something that article neglected to mention.

• @jirskyr According to the stats, he’s been the most effective defender in the comp for the last 2 years. (Of course, in reality, the stats for a centre will be very different to a prop)

Recent Topics