Eisenhuth happy with ongoing adjustments

• Eisenhuth happy with ongoing adjustments
    Author
    Caitlyn Grant
    Timestamp
    Thu 2 May 2019, 08:20 AM

Wests Tigers forward Matt Eisenhuth says the team are doing a good job of making adjustments in the early season rounds as they search for consistency under Head Coach Michael Maguire.

The 26-year-old spoke to the media this week after his side’s come-from-behind win over the Gold Coast Titans last Saturday, reflecting on the changes to the side with the omission of Josh Reynolds and the improvements being made by the team.

“It’s actually a good position for the club to be in,” enthused Eisenhuth.

"For us to lose a quality player like Grubby [Josh Reynolds] for a couple of weeks but have another quality player come back from injury in Benji [Marshall] is great.

“At the start of the year his experience was invaluable for the boys in those first few wins. We’ve got a lot of experience around the park with Robbie Farah there as well.

Game Day Film: Tamworth

Game Day Film: Tamworth

“Week to week we’re building and wanting to build on things," he added.

"We’re not executing on as well as what we would have liked previously.

“We came out and bounced back on the weekend and now we’ll just focus on what we’ve got to do right to beat the Roosters. They’ve got a good side and they’ve been playing well and consistent. We really need to focus on starting well this week and matching their enthusiasm — they’re defending premiers for a reason and they’re playing up to that standard at the moment so we’re going to have to be on.”

Watch every try from Round 7!

Watch every try from Round 7!

Having played every game for the club last season, Eisenhuth missed the opening three games of the year but has since worked his way back in to the squad — pointing out the adjustments being made by Maguire in the first two months.

“I think Madge [Maguire] is a bit similar to us in that,” he said.

"He’s learning about the playing group each week and figuring out what works for us with little adjustments here and there that we’re learning as we go.

“As long as we keep nailing the little changes each week, we’re improving.”

• I’m still not sold on Eisenhuth. He is far too ineffective with the ball in hand, he hardly bends the line and doesn’t seem to possess an offload. He seemed to ballplay a bit at the line when he first came into grade. I’d like to see a bit more of that in his game.

To his credit he came up with some huge defensive plays on our line against the Titans. One of his tackles on Shannon Boyd was awesome, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from when he ripped us apart at Leichhardt all those years ago.

• He needs to hit the line with more vigor

• He’s just a prime example of how not every player in the 17 can’t be a star. To put it in musical terms, he wouldn’t be a single off an album, he’s filler.

• @Fraze23 Seems to be a theme with locks. ET was the same when he first came over, was a bit of a ball player and it was phased out of his game.

• Not every forward needs to rip in. He’s one of the best defensive forwards in the game and runs harder and more often than ET. As a big body he can help nullify other team’s size advantages. He can offload and ball-play, but i’m sure madge has told him to keep it simple unless the opportunity is obvious.
    If he were at Melbourne or Souths he’d get talked up a lot more. Still room for improvement but he’s a reliable player. He’s not the impact player, he’s the player that allows impact players to do their thing.

• If Eisenhuth could help learn to lead the teams line speed he be an extremely effective member …obviously this is ET’s role within the side …Packer to a lesser degree …but having a bloke with size who can play big minutes and lead the line speed would be excellent addition to the club

We are a completely different beast when Taylor’s plays defensively…but I don’t think he is an 80 minute player in the modern game

• @GNR4LIFE I’d call that a “role player”.

Thing is, even then, I don’t think he is a particularly good role player.

• ForumSupporter

@bigsiro said in Eisenhuth happy with ongoing adjustments:

@GNR4LIFE I’d call that a “role player”.

Are there any players at Wests Tigers you do like…?

• @Geo said in Eisenhuth happy with ongoing adjustments:

@bigsiro said in Eisenhuth happy with ongoing adjustments:

@GNR4LIFE I’d call that a “role player”.

Are there any players at Wests Tigers you do like…?

Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu

• @Cultured_Bogan Yeah I’m of the understanding he’s instructed not to offload more than not having an offload. Even someone like Marsters who is an offload machine, my impression is all players are offloading less under Madge.

Huth currently comes off bench to stiffen the middle D, he’s not a metre-eater, isn’t asked to make loads of hitups and generally gets involved in the attack to draw other big bodies to the middle and create space for the backs. Huth is often involved in taking the ball to the line and distributing.

To be frank, I don’t think he has any explosive capacity and will never dent the line for that very reason, and because he’s very tall there’s plenty of surface area to tackle.

He’s a unit though, when I saw him standing next to Mikaele a few weeks ago, he is taller, wider and more cut than Tom. Just not as powerful.

• @jirskyr said in Eisenhuth happy with ongoing adjustments:

@Cultured_Bogan Yeah I’m of the understanding he’s instructed not to offload more than not having an offload. Even someone like Marsters who is an offload machine, my impression is all players are offloading less under Madge.

Huth currently comes off bench to stiffen the middle D, he’s not a metre-eater, isn’t asked to make loads of hitups and generally gets involved in the attack to draw other big bodies to the middle and create space for the backs. Huth is often involved in taking the ball to the line and distributing.

To be frank, I don’t think he has any explosive capacity and will never dent the line for that very reason, and because he’s very tall there’s plenty of surface area to tackle.

He’s a unit though, when I saw him standing next to Mikaele a few weeks ago, he is taller, wider and more cut than Tom. Just not as powerful.

He might lack explosive power in attack of Mikaele , but defensively he is a far different proposition

I’m a big Mikaele fan , but you rarely see him making 1 on 1 tackles

• @Geo
    Huh?
    Because I criticise eisenhuth and brooks?

I like Garner, Matterson, Thompson, Robbie, Twal, ET, Reynolds, Aloiai even Marsters to an extent.
    Mbye is class - he has just seemed a little unfit.
    Mikaele could be something special.
    Fonua I can take or leave, Benj is a gift to mankind so despite form he is still a legend.
    Packer and Mats can be solid but unspectacular.

There you have it. 😘

Recent Topics