Do WT even know anymore what a successful 1/2 is?

I’m not really sure where to place this in terms of the threads but here goes:

Just to put into context our never ending discussions on Brooks and halfback and what to do, I’ve trolled through records and come up with some relatively recent WT history with halfbacks and their success rate with the team.

I know its only somewhat superficial but at very least we should agree that as a halfback you are more than just a player but a key player and one of the spine that holds the team together and gets going.

Benji Marshall – halfback roles 2007- 2012 with major numbers in 2009 and 2012.
Played 40 games as halfback, WT won 18- success rate 45%
Comment- most people here don’t rate Benji highly as a halfback and say it was a failure.

John Morris- halfback role 2007- 09
Played 23 games as halfback, WT won 12- success rate 52%
As an aside
24 games at 5/8, WT won 10- success rate 41%
10 games at hooker, WT won 4- success rate 40%
14 games as bench utility. WT won 8- success rate 57%
Comment- most people here don’t rate Morris highly as a halfback and say it was a failure.

Robert Lui- halfback 2009- 2011
Played 42 games as halfback, WT won 26- success rate 62%
Comment- many people here rate Lui as the most promising, useful halfback WT had since Prince.

Tim Moltzen- halfback fill in 2009-2013
Played 15 games as halfback, WT won 10- success rate 66%
Comment- useful halfback.

Braith Anasta- halfback fill in 2013
Played 8 games as halfback, WT won 0- success rate 0%
Comment- people here don’t rate Anasta as a halfback

Luke Brooks- halfback 2013-18
Played 107 games as halfback, WT won 44- success rate 41%
Comment- many people here still regard Brooks as potential and a work in progress.

I know its more than just the halfback that makes a successful team, but it tells you something.

@2005magic Friday afternoon is pretty sweet at work for you?

Tells me in 2009-11 we really missed a window to win another comp…

P.S. It’s Gareth Ellis birthday today…Happy Birthday Gareth Army…

last edited by Geo

Serious question, how did you determine who was half back thru benji, lui and I’ll include the Morris years as well? Was it the number on the back or the dominant half? Just interested

@kiwitiger Cant, I can only use the position in which they were selected and how the record shows it. Got the figures from https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/

@Geo agree we should have done better in that time however Sheens was stale and the players way too comfortable.

How many halfbacks are currently in the NRL that you would call ‘successful’?
Cronk and who else?
Adam Reynolds maybe? Michael Morgan?

last edited by Sabre

Anyone who regularly features in finals series and has won a premiership.

So, by my reckoning Cronk, Townsend, Reynolds and up until last season, Pearce. I’m probably missing someone but blown if I can figure out who it is.

@Cultured_Bogan said in Do WT even know anymore what a successful 1/2 is?:

Anyone who regularly features in finals series and has won a premiership.

So, by my reckoning Cronk, Townsend, Reynolds and up until last season, Pearce. I’m probably missing someone but blown if I can figure out who it is.

Ben Hunt…oh…he dropped one…

last edited by Geo

@Sabre I suppose all I’m trying to draw out, is that many here are have been happy to declare Morris and Marshall failures as halfbacks, when Brooks who has been halfback longer and way more games than either at half, has a team winning success rate less than either of those 2, and the mantra still happens he is a work in progress.

I’m not against Brooks and I think he is a useful member of the team. However, in saying that I think the record shows he is not a successful halfback and maybe its time to try another position eg 5/8 or centre.

Would say the age of these half backs at the time, how good the players around them are at the time and how stable the club environment was at the time.

Also did those other half backs have to contend with having 5 coaches in a short space of time.

Not sticking up for Brooks but very different circumstances for each of them.

I knew I should have ignored this thread!

Well if we don’t play well tomorrow we will see two successful halves up close , probably the best combo in the comp at the moment

Lui was good. He was the perfect fit for those very successful teams in the early 2010s. Moltzen was a better fullback until he lost his confidence.

It’s worth giving sezer a crack at hb next year, it can’t get any worse

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.