Maguire urges Tigers to play the imitation game

• Madge can do all the coaching in the world, but things like speed and real skill are things your born with. Okay sure everyone can improve with hard work, but we need more than hard work, we need to somehow get about four big contracts off our books and replace them with players who have a upside

• Here is my Sunday roast!

Well we do have a good coach.

Also there is some talent in our roster and some of these players will, I hope … start to click by the end of the season.
    For me Matterson, Twal, Aloiai, Marsters, Mikaele, Brooks, Garner, Eisenhuth, Clark, McIntyre, Liddle, Momirovski, Jennings and Mbye are the foundations for our long term success. You never know Gamble and Smith may surprise me and make it into that group.

Also I have some faith in the some of our development players that should bring some variety to our NRL playing group towards the back end of this season.

You can say what you like about constant failures of our teams but for mine … stability on coaching and player front will bring improvement. Mass revision of our roster which is what many are advocating is not a solution … it would just bring us to the beginning point again.

For next few years players who are on back end of their careers such as Matulino, Packer, Reynolds, Lawrence, McQueen and Thompson will (for whatever reason) remain on our roster and that may be a good or bad thing. When playing well and injury free they will continue to bring experience and support necessary for the younger playing group. However they will find that the demands of the current pace of the game and injuries may find them out.

What we need is to recruit few more players with potential, experience, skill, athleticism and most importantly winning “never say die” mentality. And there will be at least half a dozen spots available at the end of the season. We need players with experience, attitude and skill like Townsend, Feki, Prior (Sharks) Manu, Radley, Keary, Friend and Cordner (Roosters) Gutherson and Ferguson (Eels) Repana, Hudson, Tapine and Croker (Raiders) etc.

We also need a leader because for all the positive off the field qualities our current captain has … he does not match that with on field performance we should expect from a team capitan.

• @momo_amp_medo
    Good commentary.

We also need, frankly, to produce some more quality juniors and bring them through. That used to be a strength for Tigers, but they were almost all attacking players, such that our attack was terrific and our defence not.

Who is the last really good junior to come through? Marsters is doing alright, Twal has come on and we pinched him from Eels. Mikaele has potential and has been managed well.

But the last proper talent to come in was Tedesco and he’s been Top 3 best fullbacks for several years now. And Roosters bought him off us.

Whether or not that’s coaching instability or lack of success or lack of money/TPAs/enticements, the last top-level quality footballer we produced was just bought up by someone else.

But we haven’t a choice. I haven’t seen Tigers compete legitimately on elite player contracts for decades. The only time we sign anyone of elite standing is when we bring them from UK - everyone else is bargain purchasing. When we do identify a bargain player and he comes good, like Marty Taupau, the price rockets and we get outbid again.

So that’s it. We buy a bunch of solid bargins and hope they all upswing at the same time and then hope some quality juniors come in at the same time, before they are poached from us.

The idea that we’d have any chance of ever bidding and winning for a guy like Latrell is laughable.

• Put simply we are still like the little Dutch boy with the fingers in the dam wall , hoping he is from backwards redneck area of NSW with 12 or more fingers to block up those holes

• Tigers need to sign manu from the roosters asap

• @Tiges19 said in Maguire urges Tigers to play the imitation game:

Tigers need to sign manu from the roosters asap

Yeah…never gonna happen.

• "Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire has told his players they need to aspire to be like Sydney Roosters ".
    Yeah but first you need the cattle which we clearly don’t.
    But, in saying that, I still we can finish in lower half of top eight.
    Two big losses have stuffed our points differential in what’s really a close comp (disregarding the stand out teams).
    Certainly not the worst team running around.

• @jirskyr said in Maguire urges Tigers to play the imitation game:

@momo_amp_medo
    Good commentary.

We also need, frankly, to produce some more quality juniors and bring them through. That used to be a strength for Tigers, but they were almost all attacking players, such that our attack was terrific and our defence not.

Who is the last really good junior to come through? Marsters is doing alright, Twal has come on and we pinched him from Eels. Mikaele has potential and has been managed well.

But the last proper talent to come in was Tedesco and he’s been Top 3 best fullbacks for several years now. And Roosters bought him off us.

Whether or not that’s coaching instability or lack of success or lack of money/TPAs/enticements, the last top-level quality footballer we produced was just bought up by someone else.

But we haven’t a choice. I haven’t seen Tigers compete legitimately on elite player contracts for decades. The only time we sign anyone of elite standing is when we bring them from UK - everyone else is bargain purchasing. When we do identify a bargain player and he comes good, like Marty Taupau, the price rockets and we get outbid again.

So that’s it. We buy a bunch of solid bargins and hope they all upswing at the same time and then hope some quality juniors come in at the same time, before they are poached from us.

The idea that we’d have any chance of ever bidding and winning for a guy like Latrell is laughable.

Agree 100%.
    I’ve been banging on for ages about poor performance by our lower grades.
    It all starts there and brings confidence and long term options to a Club.
    As I said before we have a large junior catchment area but having two teams we may be spreading talent too thinly?
    Whatever the reason this needs to be addressed as matter of priority.

• @Harvey

We have sort of done that… e.g. cinci… madden…

• @Sco77y said in Maguire urges Tigers to play the imitation game:

@WeHaveCheeKam He’s the first that comes to mind. I’d throw Twal in there too though.

Matterson and Twal I would say.

Aloiai, Liddle and Mikaele probably have the potential to be. Noone else.

• Prehaps we should push for laurie Daley again and see if we r allowed him this time…

• @momo_amp_medo

The was a time when we were very strong in the lower grades and it wasn’t too long ago either. It never transferred to first grade though, which probably was a result of instability in coaches and admin.

• Masters was terrible, massively over rated on 2019 form, MBye made some horrible mistakes, Aloia still has issues, I could go on, but when we have Masters and MBye playing so poorly, 2 of our so called stars, we are in deep poo.
    Madge has to do a Bellamy and tell them straight up, this is not good enough, if you can’t perform I will get someone who can, now that is what a good coach does

• @851 did you see where Packer was playing today…?

• @tigerap said in Maguire urges Tigers to play the imitation game:

@851 did you see where Packer was playing today…?

Yes, but what I am saying is some players seem to miss the spray or retribution, lets wait till Tuesday to see what happens, 2 floggings in 3 games, someone has to pay

Recent Topics