Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..

Matulino free to face Panthers despite Judiciary charge
Author
Dan Talintyre
Timestamp
Mon 6 May 2019, 12:24 PM

Wests Tigers forward Ben Matulino will be free to play in Friday’s clash against the Penrith Panthers after taking the early guilty plea to his Grade 1 Dangerous Contact - Other charge.

Matulino was charged with the offence on Roosters centre Joseph Manu in the 18th minute of Saturday’s Round 8 defeat, attracting an 100-point charge as a result.

However, with an early guilty plea and no carry-over points to be added, he is free to play in Friday’s Magic Round clash against the Panthers at Suncorp Stadium.

For Penrith, incumbent Blues five-eighth James Maloney was charged with two seperate offences during his side’s loss to the Canberra Raiders on Saturday — a Grade 1 Dangerous Contact charge and a Grade 1 Dangerous Throw charge that combine to a one-match suspension regardless of any early pleas taken.

Maloney will instead front the NRL Judiciary on Tuesday night after entering a not guilty plea for the Dangerous Throw charge on Raiders forward John Bateman.

If successful, he will be free to play against Wests Tigers on Friday night, while he will be ineligible for the game if the charge is upheld by the Judiciary.

Panthers forward Liam Martin was also charged with a Grade 1 Dangerous Throw.

Due to loading from a prior offence, Martin received a one-match suspension and will next be available for the Panthers’ Round 10 game against Warriors.

last edited by Geo

Dan my man the dangerous throw was on Hodgson …dangerous contact (chicken wing) was on Bateman…hope it is the Bateman charge he’s fighting cause he was guilty…

Reports McCullough has done his ACL at training

Panthers going to be down on troops either way with Kikau and Yeo also injured.

@willow said in Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..:

Yep … we should win this one … but???
Not confident one bit!

@momo_amp_medo

We should have beat them last time. It is our “on” week though.

@momo_amp_medo said in Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..:

Yep … we should win this one … but???
Not confident one bit!

We played for 79 minutes against them, we need to do it for 80. I think losing under those circumstances will have us fired up though.

@willow

Also Ivan’s looking tired 2015 all over again.

@happy_tiger said in Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..:

What does that have to do with Matulino / Maloney…?😳 😳

@Geo said in Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..:

What does that have to do with Matulino / Maloney…?😳 😳

Its called breaking news might help the fantasy lads out and tipsters

Missing Maloney will help Penrith …no hooker though is still their main issue and no back row …crap coach …no Gus …no Peachey

All that adds up to a certain Penrith victory lol

This might sound crazy but I’m expecting Penrith to be better with all the new players coming in knowing that if they play well there’s a better than good chance they stay there.

Not expecting an easy game.

MCL, 6 to 8 weeks according to Hooper

last edited by 851

Definitely the best scenario for us that these 2 guys are out. They are really the only ones in good form for Penrith. I’d rather Maloney play tbh because he is a bit of a turnstile. If he’s ruled out they will put Luai in and he could cause us some problems.

I’m always wary of the young ones coming in when a team is injury depleted. They often have more to play for and put in a better effort, especially when the team has been out of form.

That said, if we can’t knock Penrith off this weekend we may as well give up.

@851 said in Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..:

MCL, 6 to 8 weeks according to Hooper

Geez the Qld Origin squad is taking a hit this year. Might end up being an unrecognisable team. The last time that happened was Fatty’s bunch of no names that won the series 3 nil!

@Spud_Murphy said in Matulino free to play Maloney fighting charge..:

Definitely the best scenario for us that these 2 guys are out. They are really the only ones in good form for Penrith. I’d rather Maloney play tbh because he is a bit of a turnstile. If he’s ruled out they will put Luai in and he could cause us some problems.

I’m always wary of the young ones coming in when a team is injury depleted. They often have more to play for and put in a better effort, especially when the team has been out of form.

That said, if we can’t knock Penrith off this weekend we may as well give up.

I still shudder when I think of the Baby Broncos (in 2002?). It was Wests Tigers vs Broncos, and Broncos had something like 11 or 12 regular players out of the lineup, due to injuries and Origin… and the result, 28-14 to the Broncos.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.