We shouldnt be to critical....just yet...

I know things aren’t going as well as we expect so far this season with a couple of big scorelines against us,Parra and Easts,however we haven’t been all that bad in other games…NOT making excuses but there have been some telling points out of those losses and I can understand why things went pearshaped for us…
Firstly I would like to say that Madge is a very good coach and man manager who strives to be a winner in all respects,the tough pre season can confirm this.
He is also dealing with the team he has and how best to play each and everyone of them,not easy when you have to acess each individual over a long period of time…
Secondly in defence of Brooks and Mbye,when Josh was playing alongside of Luke and Benji as well,his performance was a lot better,and remember Madge had to get a makeshift 5/8 in the form of Matto when Josh got injured,that didn’t help Brooks much but wasn’t disaterous.Mbye is still not 100 percent fit in my opinion but is really trying his best,maybe to hard as he is captain as well.
Anyone can see that Madge is doing all he can to make this team a unit but injuries and lacklustre performances from some(Packer as an example )has Madge trying different things…he will succeed,hopefully sooner than later…I personally will give him time as the season is still young,I cant really judge to harshly on the Roosters defeat as they are a superb unit coached well with high class players across the park,we did compete in patches and as we all know we have to compete for the full 80 or that result will happen 9/10 times if you lapse in concentration…
Thirdly I honestly think our team is still short on mentality strength,they goe missing at crucial times wether they have try scored against them or make a mistake,a good example of this is the top teams make an error and they make up for that error decisively…our boys don’t,they drop their heads and start panicking…
just my opinion so far this year…more to come from me later…cheers…

nah, sorry but it is the same crap every year since 2005. I for one am over it all. money spent every year on memberships etc i don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel at all. The game isn’t run like it was back in the 80s and early 90s…If you compare the NRL with other leagues like the AFL the difference is a gaping chasm.

@TrueTiger one thing about playing the Roosters last season won one almost one the other one … this season not in the same league , my opinion is there are some un happy campers in this squad . Other than a bit better defensive efforts I rate last seasons team put out by Cleary better . So I think the coaching debate will heat up over the coming months , someone had already mentioned there are players that are not happy with the coaches techniques , not that this concerns me if you can not handle it move on ! But I suppose that’s not the issue!

Should we be critical just yet?

It’s not about being critical its being honest and calling it as you see it and I think what we’re all seeing is what we’ve been seeing for a long time and that is a team that on its day can compete with any team but those days are few and far between.

We can only play at the level we need to be at every week every so often, the good teams play at that level most weeks.

What I am tired of hearing though is “Madge is a good coach, he knows what he’s doing”
We said the same about Cleary.
Good coaches are only as good as the ability of their players, coaches don’t run, tackle, kick or pass!!

The ability of a coach at NRL level is drastically over rated, if the players can’t execute the plays or just don’t have the natural talent to compete at a high level consistently it really doesn’t matter who’s coaching.

If Wayne Bennett coached the under 10s division 6 team full of kids with feet for hands and two left ones at that, and they played the under 10s division 1 team that won the grand final the previous year and is coached by a potato.
Who do you think would win?

Just stop deluding yourselves that the coach is going to be able to work miracles, he can’t!!

• He can’t make Mbye better at catching bombs, or quicker.
  • He can’t make Fonua faster or taller or able to jump higher.
  • He can’t make Packerlino run harder
  • He can’t turn Jennings into Mitchell
  • He can’t make decisions for Brooks, or kick for him.
  • He can’t stop players from missing tackles or dropping balls.

He can
Sit in the coaches box and bang his fists against the table in frustration, that’s about it.

Really can’t work miracles…Get a coach who can…

Look at Manly scumbags…3 of there better players missing for most of the year…i would argue the rest of there squad is on par with ours…and are winning football games and not just against rubbish teams either

Halser has Brad Parker Ruben Garrick , Brendon bloody Elliot and a halves paring of Kane Elgey and a kid who has played a handful of 1st grade games… playing great football…are they better footballers than Mbye, Marsters and Jennings on talent…I don’t think so…

P.S. Kick Manly out…

last edited by Geo

@TrueTiger it’s more about how the game is run. It doesn’t reward teams with junior recruitment etc. The tigers would be a top 4 team if they were able to keep some of their juniors but the state of the game is just crap now. You get teams like the storm; roosters and bunnies who are able to keep the core group of core talent whilst recruiting talented juniors from other clubs. Its a top heavy system that doesn’t look like abating anytime soon. hence the state of the game now. Just my view and sports like NFL; NBA and even AFL are far more appealing to me since the last 5 years or so…

If Mbye is injured, why are we playing with a busted fullback?
I’m tired of excuses for him. Thompson can fill his role and he take a rest.
Heal him up and play someone else.

@TIGER said in We shouldnt be to critical....just yet...:

It’s not about being critical its being honest and calling it as you see it and I think what we’re all seeing is what we’ve been seeing for a long time and that is a team that on its day can compete with any team but those days are few and far between.

We can only play at the level we need to be at every week every so often, the good teams play at that level most weeks.

What I am tired of hearing though is “Madge is a good coach, he knows what he’s doing”
Good coaches are only as good as the ability of their players, coaches don’t run, tackle, kick or pass!!

The ability of a coach at NRL level is drastically over rated, if the players can’t execute the plays or just don’t have the natural talent to compete at a high level consistently it really doesn’t matter who’s coaching.

If Wayne Bennett coached the under 10s division 6 team full of kids with feet for hands and two left ones at that, and they played the under 10s division 1 team that won the grand final the previous year and is coached by a potato.

Just stop deluding yourselves that the coach is going to be able to work miracles, he can’t!!

He can
Sit in the coaches box and bang his fists against the table in frustration, that’s about it.

You’ve just described half the teams in the comp. I know its cool to always try and make us out as woeful, but outside the Roosters, Souths and Melbourne, we’re on par at worst with most other sides. For as terrible as we supposedly are, we’re in 9th. A lot worse than us running around. Try being a Dogs or Warriors supporter atm. Or supporting a side with the talent of Penrith.

last edited by GNR4LIFE

@GNR4LIFE said in We shouldnt be to critical....just yet...:

He can

You’ve just described half the teams in the comp. I know its cool to always try and make us out as woeful, but outside the Roosters, Souths and Melbourne, we’re on par at worst with most other sides. For as terrible as we supposedly are, we’re in 9th. A lot worse than us running around. Try being a Dogs or Warriors supporter atm. Or supporting a side with the talent of Penrith.

Completely agree Gunners,we aren’t as bad as many of the wrist slitters make us out to be…we are in a whole new zone once again but hopefully we stick with Madge and he may be able to recruit some fire power in the next couple of years to make up for some of the overrated players we have atm…and you are right Roosters,Souths and Storm are the big end of town this year,the rest are trying to compete at their level…and coming off second best…

I think we are a still a chance this year. What actually most impresses me is Madge putting his stamp on the team and not being afraid to drop players like Packer. Would love to move a couple of Cleary’s expensive playboys on and continue moulding a consistent side…but with a bit of speed and x-factor.

@GNR4LIFE said in We shouldnt be to critical....just yet...:

He can

Please don’t. We lost to 2 of those 3 sides

@GNR4LIFE
I agree, but my point is that people think our coach is a magician and he’ll somehow transform our players into superstars.

Recruitment and retention - same old problem. Terrible recruitment under Cleary - came to the club after a disastrous period with a healthy cheque book
We became the retirement fund club and there are days when it shows…

For all the horros if Masters kicks 1 penalty or conversion against Pennies we are top 6. 9th for our roster is fairly good imo. Are we going to win the comp no but we werent going to anyway. Everyone predicted bottom 4 but we are 9th so currently outperforming which is what u can ask. He has also bought in Mikele, bought in Clarke this week so is making changes

Patience is a virtue…

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.