Ryan Matterson - Future origin player?

I was chatting with my brothers the other day, and they were laughing their asses off when I said “Ryan Matterson will play origin as a utility player one day”. So much to the point that they said I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about and they were willing to take any wager I wanted to offer.

I see so much quality in this guy and I think he will be a future superstar. Am I a biased tigers fan or is this guy the real deal? I’ve been impressed with him even when he was at the roosters. His ability to be a “Mr Fix-It” when needed really stands out.

I found this video from Fittler speaking the other week and he seems to be thinking the same thing.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/freddys-surprise-origin-name-drop/cjv09k52a00450hswtqk28d5s

@mattypicks said in Ryan Matterson - Future origin player?:

I was chatting with my brothers the other day, and they were laughing their asses off when I said “Ryan Matterson will play origin as a utility player one day”. So much to the point that they said I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about and they were willing to take any wager I wanted to offer.

I see so much quality in this guy and I think he will be a future superstar. Am I a biased tigers fan or is this guy the real deal? I’ve been impressed with him even when he was at the roosters. His ability to be a “Mr Fix-It” when needed really stands out.

I found this video from Fittler speaking the other week and he seems to be thinking the same thing.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/freddys-surprise-origin-name-drop/cjv09k52a00450hswtqk28d5s

Certainly not impossible, however I think his chances of playing Origin would’ve been better if he’d stayed a Rooster. There are too many good backrowers running around at present, though his ability to fill in at 5/8 and centre might put him in good stead. Who knows?

he wont play origin because he plays for tigers…

Coming to the Tigers allows him to be showcased as an elite player rather than just another player in the roosters pack.
He certainly could play Origin one day. He runs hard, defends well, has ball skills. Everything you’d look for in an origin player. He just needs to display good form consistently over the next 12 months and he could be in with a shout next season.

He’d have to improve a lot or there would have to be significant injuries, there’s too many better ones in front of him.
Backrowers aren’t something the blues are short on.

He definitely could. He is a skillful, quick big backrower.

NSW Selector Greg Alexander has confirmed Ryan Matterson is in serious contention for a Blues bench spot
https://twitter.com/CastTiger/status/1129649235492712448?s=19

I would be surprised if he is not selected this year.

Imagine having 2 tigers play for origin

@TheDaBoss said in Ryan Matterson - Future origin player?:

No thanks. I’d rather they concentrate on Wests Tigers. There is still a lot of work todo and our depth isn’t that great.

God some of you guys are the worst judges. Brooks , Twal , Mbye and … dum dum dum ! Thompson are rated highly in league circles. Thompson is a roughie for QLD. Same as Twal. Crichton or any 2nd rowers get injured and Matto is first drop . Mbye is on the QLD radar. Brooks to me is the Bret Kimorley of this gen. Will get there one day .

Matterson deserves a bench spot based on form without a shadow of a doubt.

@mike said in Ryan Matterson - Future origin player?:

No thanks. I’d rather they concentrate on Wests Tigers. There is still a lot of work todo and our depth isn’t that great.

I think this is a pretty selfish opinion. Good luck to any player in origin contention.

@Tiger_Steve said in Ryan Matterson - Future origin player?:

@mike said in Ryan Matterson - Future origin player?:

I think this is a pretty selfish opinion. Good luck to any player in origin contention.

Absolutely it is.

It would be Matterson v Aubusson for the 14. I know Wighton has been mentioned a fair bit but maybe I am missing something.

Personally I think Matto would be ahead on personal form but Aubo plays for the Roosters.

Both would do the job.

Twal could easily be selected Fitler rates him extremely well.

Brooks is not far off and Mbye/Thompson will probably be in the camp.