Maguire holding big hopes for young bench against Panthers

• Maguire holding big hopes for young bench against Panthers
    Author
    Dan Talintyre
    Timestamp
    Fri 10 May 2019, 09:13 AM

ests Tigers Head Coach Michael Maguire says he’s looking forward to seeing how his young bench goes against the Penrith Panthers on Friday night as part of the Magic Round weekend.

Debutant Oliver Clark (22 years old) will join Jacob Liddle (22) and Thomas Mikaele (20) on the bench for tonight’s clash against the Panthers, with the young forwards all set to play a key role for Maguire’s side as they look to bounce back with a win.

“He’s been performing really well,” Maguire said ahead of Clark’s debut game.

"When I first came here he worked really hard through the pre-season and I could see some signs there that he was going to step up. He’s been around this sort of level for some time now and he understands what is required.

Match: Wests Tigers v Panthers
    ROUND 9 - FRIDAY 10TH MAY

6:00pm
    Wests Tigers
    Home Team
    Wests Tigers

9th Position
    Panthers
    Away Team
    Panthers

15th Position
    Venue: Suncorp Stadium

Match broadcasters:
    Foxtel
    LIVE PASS
    KAYO
    BUY TICKETS

"Last week he went really well in reserve-grade and so it’s his opportunity to come out and show what he can do.

"It’s always great to debut a young player who works really hard in the background.

“Oliver is a really mature young man so I’m looking forward to how he takes hold of his opportunity. He’s done the work, so it’s about going out there now and trusting that and I’m sure he will because he’s a good young man.”

In limited time last week against the Roosters, Jacob Liddle also impressed Maguire with his commitment in defence, with the crafty hooker again set to combine with Robbie Farah around the ruck on Friday night.

“I thought he was really good and really strong,” said Maguire.

"He’s obviously had some challenges in his career to date but I thought he came on really well [last week] and I’m looking forward to him and Robbie Farah combining.

“He’s learning a lot of Robbie. He’s lucky that he’s got someone like Robbie in front of him to watch and guide him and I’m sure we’ll see him be strong again.”

• Are there any church services on today before kick off?

• sometimes is better to say nothing…this was one of them…yawn

• @tigerap said in Maguire holding big hopes for young bench against Panthers:

sometimes is better to say nothing…this was one of them…yawn

Not sure what you want him to say. He was asked a question and he answered it. The headline is journalistic license.

• I bet Maguire is quietly shitting his pants, he knows that if we loose to this Penrith side we’ll be in all sorts, not just because of the 2 points but just because I think it will truly show where this team is at.

If we think we’re even remotely a chance this year we have to put this Penrith team away, a loss here and it’s kiss the season goodbye.

I know people are going to think that’s an overreaction and it’s way too early to be saying stuff like that, but I think last week showed how far off the pace we actually are and this week will really show where were at.

None of the top sides who will finish top 6 would lose to this Penrith side at the moment.

• @TIGER said in Maguire holding big hopes for young bench against Panthers:

If we think we’re even remotely a chance this year we have to put this Penrith team away

When’s the last time we’ve put a team to the sword? I can’t remember. And I doubt it happens tonight either Cleary needs to perform to keep his Origin jersey.

• @TIGER No not overreaction at all. Agree totally.

Recent Topics