Good win but...

@happy_tiger said in Good win but...:

@Cultured_Bogan said in Good win but...:

@happy_tiger said in Good win but...:

Spit it out bogan

If you look at the yardage stats I think it ended up with us at about plus 80 metres

A

As I said to the brother in law it was a very strange game

Sorry mate the forum had a fit last night so I posted twice instead of editing the one post.

Geo has already repeated my post that went missing.

I could accept that it wasn’t an 80 minute effort if Penrith galloped in 3 tries late and made the scoreline respectable but our defence remained solid. We blew them off the park early and then held them out once they worked their way into the game adding that we were dudded a 40/20 call and Maloney would never have factored into the disallowed try (I am OK with the call though as by the letter of the law it was obstruction.)

Wasn’t knocking the win in any way , was just making an observation

Yeah fair enough, reasonable points you made, just sharing a different opinion is all. Dominating the ruck doesn’t necessarily win you the game. Bulldogs had stellar completion rates early in the year and they struggled to score points. Penrith did well in one facet of the game but fell over just about everywhere else. They did nothing with the footy and they only clocked on defensively after 20 odd minutes.

You can be critical of any performance if looked at hard enough … IMO good win no buts about it … well done boys!

@diedpretty said in Good win but...:

That first 20 minutes was as good if not better than any football i have seen this year. Penrith were blown off the park. Our play the balls were so fast and the passing so crisp and accurate that Penrith really couldn’t get their defensive line set. It was obvious the game plan was to attack them on the short side and it was relentless. It was perfect - no errors, no penalties, excellent kicking. I didn’t think this team could play like that. They have now set the benchmark of what they can actually do if everyone is on their game. Whether we will see it again this year is questionable but i certainly hope we do.

Yes if only we would get some credit for it from commentators and the media. So far, all I’ve heard is how baaaad Penrith are.

even during the match, the commentators we’re rarely giving us any praise, rather they kept on talking about how Penrith “have to score next”, “still got a chance to get back into the game”…

nothing to the fact that we kept them quiet and in our pocket for pretty much the whole game?..🤷

@Spud_Murphy said in Good win but...:

@diedpretty said in Good win but...:

That first 20 minutes was as good if not better than any football i have seen this year. Penrith were blown off the park. Our play the balls were so fast and the passing so crisp and accurate that Penrith really couldn’t get their defensive line set. It was obvious the game plan was to attack them on the short side and it was relentless. It was perfect - no errors, no penalties, excellent kicking. I didn’t think this team could play like that. They have now set the benchmark of what they can actually do if everyone is on their game. Whether we will see it again this year is questionable but i certainly hope we do.

Yes if only we would get some credit for it from commentators and the media. So far, all I’ve heard is how baaaad Penrith are.

Now if we beat storm next week…

They will have to say something bout us at least

I think it was a great win. We were never going to maintain what happened in the first twenty minutes. We capitalized on nearly all of our opportunities early, and held them to one try once they got into the game. Cant do much better than that.

last edited by Telltails

@Snake said in Good win but...:

You can be critical of any performance if looked at hard enough … IMO good win no buts about it … well done boys!

Maybe a couple of “ifs”. Back to back errors from Mikaele let them off the hook somewhat and they got back in a contest, though he made good ground after that.

Does anyone else think that the decision to take the 2, at 24-0 stunted our momentum?

Not that I totally disagree with that call btw
Seems like it was Farah’s?

@bigsiro

We did have them on the ropes at that stage, but looking at the scoreboard I can understand them going to 26, but they probably should have backed themselves

@bigsiro said in Good win but...:

Does anyone else think that the decision to take the 2, at 24-0 stunted our momentum?

Not that I totally disagree with that call btw
Seems like it was Farah’s?

Wasn’t Farah’s decision he wanted to play on Webster ran on pointing to take the 2 so I guess it was the coaches decision.

I’m happy with a 6 nil second half rather than this happening again…

or this…

Would have been nice to see them put 60 on, but we’ve seen things like this happen so many times before. 30 to 4 is still a convincing win.

The call to take the 2 was absolutely the right decision no matter who made it. That was the decision that put to bed any realistic opportunity of the opposition coming back imo. Scoring 5 tries is a massive task (unless you’re Melbourne - then you can do that in 10 minutes) At some point, the team had to settle and play. They could quite easily have not closed out that game as has been done so many times in the past.

Lol, Fraze…you posted a minute or so before me. Absolutely we’ve messed up before. Awful memories there.

last edited by rustycage

@iofthetigers That was a fairly weak decision!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.