Ben Matulino - A key player.

• There is no doubt over the last few years we frustratingly overpaid the likes of Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, David Nofolomu, Chris McQueen and Moses Mbye. As a result, with high contract players, you expect them to bring alot and these players cop their fair share of criticism.

Ben Matulino is sometimes on this group, but I actually think he is one of our most important players. He is one of VERY FEW forwards who can punch over the advantage line consistently (Watch his runs…they are as effective as Thomas Mikaeles). He is also a very strong defender, and it is very rare you will see him make a miss or get him on the backfoot. I do agree, at times his workrate could improve a little bit in attack, but I also think Madge is working hard to improve that. For me he is very good and outside Matterson, the next forward picked every week.

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

we frustratingly overpaid the likes of … Mbye.

Aren’t the Dogs paying quite a bit of freight for Mbye. I doubt that the amount we are paying him is “overs”.

• Definitely an unsung hero this year. I’d say he’s almost in the top 3 as far as our best players go.

• He is solid. He doesn’t have the leg drive or impact of Mikaele but he doesn’t have the same level of mistakes in his game and his defence is better.

He does his job well.

• I’ll have to watch him more closely, because to be honest, I hadn’t noticed.

• @Earl

@Earl said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

He is solid. He doesn’t have the leg drive or impact of Mikaele but he doesn’t have the same level of mistakes in his game and his defence is better.

He does his job well.

Maybe not the same leg drive, but he still powers forward past the point of contact for a fair few metres.

• Was one of the best forwards in the entire comp before the shoulder charge was banned.

He can still put a hit on but he plays smarter now and is a key player for us in defence.

Similar style to ET but less likely to give away a penalty and bigger body.

• @Tweed_Tiger Yeah he was an enforcer at the Warriors. Always remember the Kiwi commentators carrying on about Matulino’s hits.

• He is slowly getting back into some good form.
    We need him to keep it up and improve even further.
    The only thing that’s missing is aggression and fear factor which is missing in our forwards.
    I always hoped Packer and Matulino would bring that about.
    But for whatever reason Packer is in the corner sucking his thumb and Mats is just playing straight up and down forward game.

• ForumSupporter

His best 2 games have been his best doing what is asked of him…keeps the ruck tight and been running strongly…seems to have put the offload away which he was renown for early in his career…would be good to see a bit more of that…

• Can we put this thread on ice for a week? I’m super keen to see the neg Matulino comments if we get beat next week.

Personally I agree with OP - there’s more to being an NRL prop than metres and 3rd-man tackles. There are real unnoticed items like ruck control, 1-1 tackles, driving/dominant tackles, when the hitups are being taken (e.g. early match or early set when there’s no roll-on).

For me, Mats is like a more powerful version of Huth, but Huth has a better motor. Both defend really well, can sometimes make 10m hitups but average around 7-8, lack the pure leg drive power of a guy like Mikaele, but temper this with limited errors and limited MTs. Matulino was super important in line defence against Titans and with Packer and ET relegated, you rely even more heavily on your best defenders - Mats, Huth and Twal.

• Some good performances recently. Clearly the coach has already had a positive effect on him - dropping Packer sent a clear message

• @WeHaveCheeKam said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

There is no doubt over the last few years we frustratingly overpaid the likes of Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, David Nofolomu, Chris McQueen and Moses Mbye. As a result, with high contract players, you expect them to bring alot and these players cop their fair share of criticism.

Ben Matulino is sometimes on this group, but I actually think he is one of our most important players. He is one of VERY FEW forwards who can punch over the advantage line consistently (Watch his runs…they are as effective as Thomas Mikaeles). He is also a very strong defender, and it is very rare you will see him make a miss or get him on the backfoot. I do agree, at times his workrate could improve a little bit in attack, but I also think Madge is working hard to improve that. For me he is very good and outside Matterson, the next forward picked every week.

Hahaaaaaaa

“Watch his runs…They are as effective as Thomas Mikaeles”

And so they should be he’s a 20yrold rookie!!!

Matulino has played at the international level, and is a seasoned NRL player, I’d expect him to be a bit more than “as effective” as a 20 yrold kid who’s played a handful of NRL off the bench at a minimum.

You’ve pretty much given Matulino a back handed compliment by saying that.

• Prop rotation looks better with Clark in for Packer. Unless Russ lifts a gear we’re better off without him. Matulino seems to go better without him.

• @Yossarian said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

Prop rotation looks better with Clark in for Packer. Unless Russ lifts a gear we’re better off without him. Matulino seems to go better without him.

I thought Ollie was solid last night and definately has earnt a bench spot,he went ok for a rookie in a debut

Recent Topics