Ben Matulino - A key player.

@jadtiger said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

@Yossarian said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

Prop rotation looks better with Clark in for Packer. Unless Russ lifts a gear we’re better off without him. Matulino seems to go better without him.

I thought Ollie was solid last night and definately has earnt a bench spot,he went ok for a rookie in a debut

I thought he went pretty good as well. I hope he keeps his bench spot.

@TIGER said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

@WeHaveCheeKam said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

There is no doubt over the last few years we frustratingly overpaid the likes of Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, David Nofolomu, Chris McQueen and Moses Mbye. As a result, with high contract players, you expect them to bring alot and these players cop their fair share of criticism.

Ben Matulino is sometimes on this group, but I actually think he is one of our most important players. He is one of VERY FEW forwards who can punch over the advantage line consistently (Watch his runs…they are as effective as Thomas Mikaeles). He is also a very strong defender, and it is very rare you will see him make a miss or get him on the backfoot. I do agree, at times his workrate could improve a little bit in attack, but I also think Madge is working hard to improve that. For me he is very good and outside Matterson, the next forward picked every week.

Hahaaaaaaa

“Watch his runs…They are as effective as Thomas Mikaeles”

And so they should be he’s a 20yrold rookie!!!

Matulino has played at the international level, and is a seasoned NRL player, I’d expect him to be a bit more than “as effective” as a 20 yrold kid who’s played a handful of NRL off the bench at a minimum.

You’ve pretty much given Matulino a back handed compliment by saying that.

Not really mate.Thomas Mikaele is our most effective ball runner.

Mikaele on a straight hit up has the best metres/post contact drive of all our forwards. Obviously he can’t do that for a sustained period. I don’t think any of the other tigers players even get close to him there. Thomas’s has a few things to work on, but the ability to make metres and punch through the advantage line is certainly not one of them.

@WeHaveCheeKam said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

Ben Matulino is sometimes on this group, but I actually think he is one of our most important players

Said it before and I’ll state it again, he is almost always our most influential forward for the minutes that he is on the field. He was often only used in 15 to 20 minute stints by the traitor and the side were pretty well consistently better performing during those, particularly via the quickest play the ball amongst them.

He is now playing more in the 25 to 30 stint range under Maguire and also being used well as the link man on occasion when spreading the ball wide. Covers his defensive patch more effectively and wider than most others, whilst also great at constantly getting to the “A” defender position and working from marker.

last edited by formerguest

There are often negatives comments about Matulino’s output, but I don’t think anyone is saying he’s hopeless. They just want to see 3 or more hitups a game,

Think he and Twal are starting to combine nicely as a starting pair. Seems to be settling into the role Madge has given him.

I thought Big Ben really stepped up last night. Was a great response to all the speculation.

Happy to keep him around.

He’s been good all year. Our best forward behind Matterson.

Love the way he consistently finds his front and gets fast play the balls. Cowboys were laying all over the ruck but big Ben still found a way.

Need some help tho. Mannah

Yep ever since his Kiwi mate got dropped he’s pulled his finger out, funny how now his name has been on the shopping list he’s started to have a go.

He’ll go back to idle mode soon though, he’s one of those players that just cruises through games, he doesn’t have any gears.
Just once I want to see him fire up and run like a raging lunatic.

@Tweed_Tiger said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

Love the way he consistently finds his front and gets fast play the balls. Cowboys were laying all over the ruck but big Ben still found a way.

yep Benji mentioned on 360 not long ago how great is was following his play the balls because you are always on the front foot because he gets on his knees in the tackle.

I know we criticise our props but last night 3 times in the first 5 minutes he lined up to take the hit up and Robbie dummied and went to an outside back as Mats was left as a decoy. A prop can’t make meters if his hooker doesen’t give him the ball especially early.

I think our problem is that both Matulino and Twal are number 2 props at this stage in thier careers. Thats where we get our problems as we don’t have that big body number 1 prop to charge through.

Cleary played a game where that didn’t matter so much because the props were thier almost solely for defence but Madge wants to play a different game and the boys are starting to adjust and tbh with 6/9 against teams outside the top 4 we do it well enough but cant hold really big teams in Souths and Raiders and my worry is the Knights either

Matulino had a great game last night. Didn’t we notice his absence and that of Twal when replaced.

@GNR4LIFE said in Ben Matulino - A key player.:

He’s been good all year. Our best forward behind Matterson.

Better then Twal? Yeah nah.

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.