‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith

@Geo said in ‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith:

I’ll admit I’m not taking as much joy out of it as some…not that I don’t think bwahahaha but karma keeps being mentioned and we have been just as bad at times as a team…

Fact is really like when Moses Woods and Teddy left I’d rather just forget altogether about Voldamort and his nepotism and concentrate on Wests Tigers onwards and upwards (hopefully)

I’m enjoying it immensely, but wholeheartedly agree its time for everyone to move forward. If you keep looking backwards you’ll never see whats in front.

@Furious1 Agree to a point. However, like many on the Forum, next to a Tigers win a Penrith loss is the best thing. A little indulgence doesn’t hurt, especially when following our Tigers. We deserve the good times when they infrequently roll around.

@Cultured_Bogan
He did not sell his dignity to top up his sons contract (unless dad is giving kickbacks to his son). Nathan Cleary was hot property. Easts were ready to offer a high value contract along with a few other teams.

Honestly I don’t get why everyone is laying into Ivan for? We went from Taylor who was hopeless, to Ivan who built us up with a middling roster and we got ninth, to McGuire who can take us within the top8.

Cleary was perfectly timed for us. An Average coach who got us to an Average position where a good coach would want to take us over. Now he runs off and takes out Penrith from the competition so we can do even Better 🙂

I feel sorry for anyone that decided to support Panthers in the first place

@crazycat said in ‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith:

@Cultured_Bogan
He did not sell his dignity to top up his sons contract (unless dad is giving kickbacks to his son). Nathan Cleary was hot property. Easts were ready to offer a high value contract along with a few other teams.

Honestly I don’t get why everyone is laying into Ivan for? We went from Taylor who was hopeless, to Ivan who built us up with a middling roster and we got ninth, to McGuire who can take us within the top8.

Cleary was perfectly timed for us. An Average coach who got us to an Average position where a good coach would want to take us over. Now he runs off and takes out Penrith from the competition so we can do even Better 🙂

That is what I was implying. A good way for them to circumvent the cap.

Here is a stat worth knowing about:
Before Ivan Cleary signed with Tigers, his win percentage was below 50%

Chickens coming home to roost.

Clear is certainly suffering in his jocks, and I am enjoying it. That was the first opposition press conference I’ve watched in full this season and I savoured it.

I’m not super anti-Ivan. I can understand why he did what he did, so I don’t like it but I don’t hate it. I’m still way more anti Moses and Tedesco. I mean if someone wants to pay you and your son a truckload of money to do the same job you already are doing elsewhere, of course you hop ship.

What I love most is how the Penrith organisation are suffering. Not just Ivan but the whole ship, the whole lot. Gould stepped down, the Chair is copping heat, the coach is struggling, the entire roster is just not playing to ability - and nobody seems to have an answer for why.

At least, when Brad Arthur was doing his presser after being smashed by the Storm, at least he straight away said “we were soft”. Cleary said, about 10 times, “I don’t know, we’ll have to figure it out”. One team is going to get a rollicking this week, the other are going to sit down, hold hands and feel the solution out.

Go read the Panthers forums for some good times. They refer to Ivan as “Dave’s Mate” or “Nathan’s Dad”.

@Cultured_Bogan I never give too much credence to win percentage. Sometimes is means that a coach has been willing to take on a club who needs a lot of work.

@hammertime said in ‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith:

@Cultured_Bogan I never give too much credence to win percentage. Sometimes is means that a coach has been willing to take on a club who needs a lot of work.

Que? Was this meant for someone else?

@Cultured_Bogan said in ‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith:

@hammertime said in ‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith:

Que? Was this meant for someone else?

I think so. Someone else mentioned something about Cleary’s winning percentage being below 50%

Well he has one now. Potter and Taylor also took us to 9th in their first year. I am focussed on us as a club, but follow NRL generally enough to see other clubs results.

I can get some small enjoyment out of watching those that thought they were bigger than our club come crashing back to earth.

I for one am enjoying the misery at the Panthers, and yes with Cleary.

If he had been honest from the start and said that he was going back to Penrith then no dramas I can cop that, but just the soap opera that carried on was what did it. Serves the Penrith board right for pushing their problems onto us.

Now the other telling point, and I apologize if it’s already been brought up, is they were very lucky to beat Newcastle, and we did poorly not to beat them the first time. In all honesty they could be 0-9…

@Harvey said in ‘I feel sorry for anyone who supports us’: Ivan Cleary vows to make changes at Penrith:

Well he has one now. Potter and Taylor also took us to 9th in their first year. I am focussed on us as a club, but follow NRL generally enough to see other clubs results.

I can get some small enjoyment out of watching those that thought they were bigger than our club come crashing back to earth.

I have a grin over the train wreck at the panthers but you are wrong about taylor, in his first year as coach he coached us to the lofty position of equal last

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.