Kayo

• Kayo have 14 day free trial with code: LAUNCH

Once you create your account, go into your settings and cancel the subscription before your trial is up so you are not automatically billed after the 14 days.

My NBN connection of 50/20 (Aussie Broadband) streams HD without any issues.

They don’t currently have a ‘resume watching’ feature, so if your stream crashes or you change streams you will have to play from the start again and use the seek bar (may cost you a spoiler).

Kayo are working on a resume feature.

$25/month is worth it, especially if you split it with a mate.

• Kayo doesn’t have Eurosport which i found out last night. Wanted to watch the Giro Italia and was surprised it wasn’t on there.

• @diedpretty Damn, I wanted to watch that too.

• @Cultured_Bogan said in Kayo:

I have it but am only using the tablet at the moment until the xBox app is ready for my loungeroom TV or until I pony up for a ChromeCast box. A couple of mates have it though ChromeCast and reckon it’s good.

I just ditched Foxtel (paying $117 a month for everything bar movies,) and now use Stan, Netflix and Kayo for a total sum of $53 a month which gives me everything Foxtel was, plus the added bonus of movies.

Yep, my situation is exactly the same as CB. Had fox, canceled 4 weeks ago. Got Kayo, Netflix. Half the price of Fox.
    Picture is Crisp on PC, still need to fork out for Chromecast for the big screen, so can’t comment on pic quality for big screen.
    Simple to use, lots of sport. I don’t think you can record though, that’s a bit of a let down i guess.
    Pretty sure you can trial for free for 13 days or something like that.

• @BearComplex had a massive post for this but had a couple and it’s gone… chromecast eight bucks a week. Well worth it.

• @the_third said in Kayo:

@BearComplex had a massive post for this but had a couple and it’s gone… chromecast eight bucks a week. Well worth it.

Don’t know much about Chromecast, but my understaning was I can buy it from JB or somewhere for 100 bucks or so and that is it, you own it. You thinking it is subscription?

@jirskyr said in Kayo:

I have it and I like it a lot. $25 per month is a fair amount but I’ve been waiting for Foxtel to undercut themselves for AGES. If it had Premier League it would be 9/10, but I’d say it’s 8/10.

I also recall that Kayo has no connect / disconnect penalties, so you can conceivably d/c your account over summer and not pay when the NRL is no longer on.

For myself, my internet is mostly ok with occasional patchiness and Kayo responds well - mostly 1080p with occasional drops to 720p/480p, but it almost never stops to buffer, and the lower rate only holds for 5 to 10 seconds before jumping back to 1080p.

I mostly watch it on my 4K TV via nvidia SHIELD device, which is an Android TV device - Kayo has an Android TV app which is great. Same app exists for Android phones. I also watch on my computer via web browser as backup if the TV is being used - same quality.

I particularly like how Kayo guesses which live sport you might like, based on your existing profile / choices (you can set up any code or team in your preferences). So whenever I open up during footy, it always offers me first the current NRL match, then there’s a menu bar lower down with the other top live sports. You can then pick up the match either live or from the start.

Kayo also do a “Kayo Mini” highlights package for every match, which amounts to about 15-18 minutes of key highlights. These are great - a good opening summary of the match and the sides, then the key flow of matches including always the last ~30 seconds of each half regardless of events. The mini highlights are uploaded really quickly, sometimes within 1-2 hours of the match finishing, which is great - WAY faster than the NRL’s own extended highlights.

Sometimes it’s a little difficult to find individual highlights packages amongst all the NRL content they offer - it seems to favour full match highlights and then the other Foxtel shows like The Fan (which is great BTW) and Matt Johns. Quick fix is to select “NRL” then specifically select a team, to view their specific match videos.

Only downside I’ve had so far is that Kayo includes a “major events” tracker in the match, which appears on the time bar when you pause a live feed and shows events that have happened so far. This is theoretically good because you can skip back along the time bar to tries or half-time. But the other day the major events tracking got de-synced from my video feed, such that it was showing me tries on the time-bar that hadn’t happened yet. You could avoid this by not pausing or skipping through the game, but the point of watching games on delay is being able to skip through the breaks in the game. It has only happened once, but it sort of ruined the experience because I could see that 1 or 2 tries were coming up - we were playing Roosters and I could guess that a high-scoring affair probably didn’t favour Tigers.

I would also like a setting where I could force Kayo to never offer me AFL highlights, because such a thing doesn’t really exist.

Sports package is $30 on Fox isn’t it? Either way I give it a 9/10 because it has the A-League and La Liga.

You can’t just get the Sports package on its own though you need to get a Basic package.

• @BearComplex said in Kayo:

I don’t think you can record though, that’s a bit of a let down i guess.

Games are on demand, so not many reasons to record outside of keeping for a long time!

@the_third said in Kayo:

@BearComplex had a massive post for this but had a couple and it’s gone… chromecast eight bucks a week. Well worth it.

Don’t know much about Chromecast, but my understaning was I can buy it from JB or somewhere for 100 bucks or so and that is it, you own it. You thinking it is subscription?

You buy a chromecast device, SD is around $60, HD around $95. Well worth the money. I use it all the time, I cast youtube music clips to my sound system and TV almost constantly. Use one in the bedroom for casting netflix and stan from my phone as that tv is not a smart tv. Cast NFL gampass.

• @upthetigers said in Kayo:

@Cultured_Bogan said in Kayo:

@jirskyr said in Kayo:

I have it and I like it a lot. $25 per month is a fair amount but I’ve been waiting for Foxtel to undercut themselves for AGES. If it had Premier League it would be 9/10, but I’d say it’s 8/10.

I also recall that Kayo has no connect / disconnect penalties, so you can conceivably d/c your account over summer and not pay when the NRL is no longer on.

For myself, my internet is mostly ok with occasional patchiness and Kayo responds well - mostly 1080p with occasional drops to 720p/480p, but it almost never stops to buffer, and the lower rate only holds for 5 to 10 seconds before jumping back to 1080p.

I mostly watch it on my 4K TV via nvidia SHIELD device, which is an Android TV device - Kayo has an Android TV app which is great. Same app exists for Android phones. I also watch on my computer via web browser as backup if the TV is being used - same quality.

I particularly like how Kayo guesses which live sport you might like, based on your existing profile / choices (you can set up any code or team in your preferences). So whenever I open up during footy, it always offers me first the current NRL match, then there’s a menu bar lower down with the other top live sports. You can then pick up the match either live or from the start.

Kayo also do a “Kayo Mini” highlights package for every match, which amounts to about 15-18 minutes of key highlights. These are great - a good opening summary of the match and the sides, then the key flow of matches including always the last ~30 seconds of each half regardless of events. The mini highlights are uploaded really quickly, sometimes within 1-2 hours of the match finishing, which is great - WAY faster than the NRL’s own extended highlights.

Sometimes it’s a little difficult to find individual highlights packages amongst all the NRL content they offer - it seems to favour full match highlights and then the other Foxtel shows like The Fan (which is great BTW) and Matt Johns. Quick fix is to select “NRL” then specifically select a team, to view their specific match videos.

Only downside I’ve had so far is that Kayo includes a “major events” tracker in the match, which appears on the time bar when you pause a live feed and shows events that have happened so far. This is theoretically good because you can skip back along the time bar to tries or half-time. But the other day the major events tracking got de-synced from my video feed, such that it was showing me tries on the time-bar that hadn’t happened yet. You could avoid this by not pausing or skipping through the game, but the point of watching games on delay is being able to skip through the breaks in the game. It has only happened once, but it sort of ruined the experience because I could see that 1 or 2 tries were coming up - we were playing Roosters and I could guess that a high-scoring affair probably didn’t favour Tigers.

I would also like a setting where I could force Kayo to never offer me AFL highlights, because such a thing doesn’t really exist.

Sports package is $30 on Fox isn’t it? Either way I give it a 9/10 because it has the A-League and La Liga.

You can’t just get the Sports package on its own though you need to get a Basic package.

Yeah that’s right, you need the basic entertainment package ($25 I think?) Then another $10 if you want HD… Then another $10 for another box so you can watch on multiple TV’s. It all adds up pretty quickly.

I have it but am only using the tablet at the moment until the xBox app is ready for my loungeroom TV or until I pony up for a ChromeCast box. A couple of mates have it though ChromeCast and reckon it’s good.

I just ditched Foxtel (paying $117 a month for everything bar movies,) and now use Stan, Netflix and Kayo for a total sum of $53 a month which gives me everything Foxtel was, plus the added bonus of movies.

Yep, my situation is exactly the same as CB. Had fox, canceled 4 weeks ago. Got Kayo, Netflix. Half the price of Fox.
    Picture is Crisp on PC, still need to fork out for Chromecast for the big screen, so can’t comment on pic quality for big screen.
    Simple to use, lots of sport. I don’t think you can record though, that’s a bit of a let down i guess.

Yeah 14 day trial. That’s what I did. Had Netflix and Fox, took on the Stan and Kayo trials. Decided I was happy and canned Foxtel. Only downside is I have to watch Kayo on PC or tablet until I get a ChromeCast device.

All the old games are archived so you don’t need to worry about recording games.

• @cochise said in Kayo:

@BearComplex said in Kayo:

I don’t think you can record though, that’s a bit of a let down i guess.

Games are on demand, so not many reasons to record outside of keeping for a long time!

Pretty big boxing/UFC fan, so like to hold onto fights. Currently they have Usyk/Bellew fight I want to keep, but I believe will be moved.

Yeah 14 day trial. That’s what I did. Had Netflix and Fox, took on the Stan and Kayo trials. Decided I was happy and canned Foxtel. Only downside is I have to watch Kayo on PC or tablet until I get a ChromeCast device.

All the old games are archived so you don’t need to worry about recording games.

CB, where do I find the archived games? I know some sports get taken away. I contacted them about a Toronto Raptors game recently and they said some sports have the right to only leave it up for a set time.

CB, where do I find the archived games? I know some sports get taken away. I contacted them about a Toronto Raptors game recently and they said some sports have the right to only leave it up for a set time.

Ah OK, I’m only going off the NRL which I have access to all games this year and last. I stand corrected.

• Depending on your equipment, it is probably possible to record Kayo using a recorder that records from an HDMI input but it would be a bit of a pain and I haven’t tried it.

Recent Topics