Kayo

@happy_tiger yeah Kayo is fox sports streaming service so it has the same content.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I might give it a go for this weeks match against the Storm to see how it compares to Foxtel via Satellite.

last edited by mike

I find it works a lot better on my big sreen tv than it does on my desktop computer. I have a Telstra TV and Kayo is on the apps. Picture quality and playback are perfect. I am supposedly on a 50mb/s NBN plan but am lucky to get download speed of 5mb/s most days - this has no effect on the quality on the big screen. However on my desktop i find the quality no where near as good. Often drops out of focus and the action is continually changing from normal speed to slo mo for a second. Makes it very difficult to watch.

@mike If u use a phone, get the app…the online version is useless if u use a phone…freezes for about 3-10 seconds constantly…other than that, very good. Quality is awesome, streaming is excellent, etc

last edited by Matto

I have it but am only using the tablet at the moment until the xBox app is ready for my loungeroom TV or until I pony up for a ChromeCast box. A couple of mates have it though ChromeCast and reckon it’s good.

I just ditched Foxtel (paying $117 a month for everything bar movies,) and now use Stan, Netflix and Kayo for a total sum of $53 a month which gives me everything Foxtel was, plus the added bonus of movies.

I have it and use it through an iPad Pro and . Zero issues. Once chromecast starts I can even use my iPad for something else. Use wifi network for this. iPad interface allows multi channels on screen at once if that floats your boat.

Best bit…I’ve watched tigers vs panthers about 6 times and counting.

I have it and I like it a lot. $25 per month is a fair amount but I’ve been waiting for Foxtel to undercut themselves for AGES. If it had Premier League it would be 9/10, but I’d say it’s 8/10.

I also recall that Kayo has no connect / disconnect penalties, so you can conceivably d/c your account over summer and not pay when the NRL is no longer on.

For myself, my internet is mostly ok with occasional patchiness and Kayo responds well - mostly 1080p with occasional drops to 720p/480p, but it almost never stops to buffer, and the lower rate only holds for 5 to 10 seconds before jumping back to 1080p.

I mostly watch it on my 4K TV via nvidia SHIELD device, which is an Android TV device - Kayo has an Android TV app which is great. Same app exists for Android phones. I also watch on my computer via web browser as backup if the TV is being used - same quality.

I particularly like how Kayo guesses which live sport you might like, based on your existing profile / choices (you can set up any code or team in your preferences). So whenever I open up during footy, it always offers me first the current NRL match, then there’s a menu bar lower down with the other top live sports. You can then pick up the match either live or from the start.

Kayo also do a “Kayo Mini” highlights package for every match, which amounts to about 15-18 minutes of key highlights. These are great - a good opening summary of the match and the sides, then the key flow of matches including always the last ~30 seconds of each half regardless of events. The mini highlights are uploaded really quickly, sometimes within 1-2 hours of the match finishing, which is great - WAY faster than the NRL’s own extended highlights.

Sometimes it’s a little difficult to find individual highlights packages amongst all the NRL content they offer - it seems to favour full match highlights and then the other Foxtel shows like The Fan (which is great BTW) and Matt Johns. Quick fix is to select “NRL” then specifically select a team, to view their specific match videos.

Only downside I’ve had so far is that Kayo includes a “major events” tracker in the match, which appears on the time bar when you pause a live feed and shows events that have happened so far. This is theoretically good because you can skip back along the time bar to tries or half-time. But the other day the major events tracking got de-synced from my video feed, such that it was showing me tries on the time-bar that hadn’t happened yet. You could avoid this by not pausing or skipping through the game, but the point of watching games on delay is being able to skip through the breaks in the game. It has only happened once, but it sort of ruined the experience because I could see that 1 or 2 tries were coming up - we were playing Roosters and I could guess that a high-scoring affair probably didn’t favour Tigers.

I would also like a setting where I could force Kayo to never offer me AFL highlights, because such a thing doesn’t really exist.

last edited by jirskyr

@jirskyr said in Kayo:

I have it and I like it a lot. $25 per month is a fair amount but I’ve been waiting for Foxtel to undercut themselves for AGES. If it had Premier League it would be 9/10, but I’d say it’s 8/10.

I also recall that Kayo has no connect / disconnect penalties, so you can conceivably d/c your account over summer and not pay when the NRL is no longer on.

For myself, my internet is mostly ok with occasional patchiness and Kayo responds well - mostly 1080p with occasional drops to 720p/480p, but it almost never stops to buffer, and the lower rate only holds for 5 to 10 seconds before jumping back to 1080p.

I mostly watch it on my 4K TV via nvidia SHIELD device, which is an Android TV device - Kayo has an Android TV app which is great. Same app exists for Android phones. I also watch on my computer via web browser as backup if the TV is being used - same quality.

I particularly like how Kayo guesses which live sport you might like, based on your existing profile / choices (you can set up any code or team in your preferences). So whenever I open up during footy, it always offers me first the current NRL match, then there’s a menu bar lower down with the other top live sports. You can then pick up the match either live or from the start.

Kayo also do a “Kayo Mini” highlights package for every match, which amounts to about 15-18 minutes of key highlights. These are great - a good opening summary of the match and the sides, then the key flow of matches including always the last ~30 seconds of each half regardless of events. The mini highlights are uploaded really quickly, sometimes within 1-2 hours of the match finishing, which is great - WAY faster than the NRL’s own extended highlights.

Sometimes it’s a little difficult to find individual highlights packages amongst all the NRL content they offer - it seems to favour full match highlights and then the other Foxtel shows like The Fan (which is great BTW) and Matt Johns. Quick fix is to select “NRL” then specifically select a team, to view their specific match videos.

Only downside I’ve had so far is that Kayo includes a “major events” tracker in the match, which appears on the time bar when you pause a live feed and shows events that have happened so far. This is theoretically good because you can skip back along the time bar to tries or half-time. But the other day the major events tracking got de-synced from my video feed, such that it was showing me tries on the time-bar that hadn’t happened yet. You could avoid this by not pausing or skipping through the game, but the point of watching games on delay is being able to skip through the breaks in the game. It has only happened once, but it sort of ruined the experience because I could see that 1 or 2 tries were coming up - we were playing Roosters and I could guess that a high-scoring affair probably didn’t favour Tigers.

I would also like a setting where I could force Kayo to never offer me AFL highlights, because such a thing doesn’t really exist.

Sports package is $30 on Fox isn’t it? Either way I give it a 9/10 because it has the A-League and La Liga.

@jirskyr There is an option in the settings for “No spoliers”. This turns off the indicators on the timeline.

Header Banner
NEWS l DRAW l TEAM l MEMBERSHIP l MERCHANDISE

Image Name
GET A MONTH OF KAYO FOR $5.

As a loyal Wests Tigers member, for $5 you can stream every game of Magic Round live and on demand on your TV and favourite devices as a part of your first month of Kayo Basic.

With Kayo, you can stream every game of every round of the NRL Telstra Premiership live in HD* with no ad breaks during play and no lock in contract. You can also tune in to all the Fox League shows at any time, including NRL 360, Late Night with Matty Johns, The Professor’s Late Hit and more.

Get your first month for $5, only available to new Kayo customers by signing up via the steps in this email below.

Plus sign up to Kayo before Tuesday, 14 May 5:30pm (AEST) and automatically go in the draw to win a free 12 month Kayo Basic subscription.** There’s never been a better time to get into Kayo

Note: Only one offer is redeemable per membership number/ID.

Make sure you have your Club Membership number/ID handy when you sign up. You can find your club membership number on your membership card.

Click the Get Kayo button

Click Redeem Offer button on Kayo landing page

Select the $5 Kayo Basic package

Enter your personal details with mobile validation

Enter your personal details with mobile validation

Enter your membership ID

Enter your payment details to complete sign up

Start watching Kayo!

Don’t forget to sign up by Tuesday, 14 May 5:30pm (AEST).

Find out more about NRL on Kayo here

@AngryEmu Thanks. I thought I already had that set, but I will check.

So what sort of data usage does Kayo take? I’m on a data limited plan as I’m in a rural area so am on satellite NBN. I normally watch pretty much every game each week - what sort of hole would that put in a months data usage?
Thanks

@Geo I must have been too late. It said void. Oh well.

@softlaw Streaming in HD (720p+) uses about 3-4 GB per hour… SD (360p) uses about half of that (1.5-2GB).

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.