How Great are we going at the moment

I was meaning to post this for the Roosters game. We lost 42-12 but watching that game I saw something I hadn’t seen in ages. We played Hard. People looking from the outside would think it was a whitewash. We tackled, we got pounded and we pounded back.
Sure we lost and we lost to a much better side. But that better side is NR1 on the ladder for a reason (mainly Latrell Mitchell, also Luke Keary, Cronk, etc.).

Us vs Penrith shows how far we have come. People are not talking about our forwards who are actually playing a great game. It’s clearly not the Mats and Packer show but that gives us a lot of hope.

Our backline is probably the best it has been in ages.
Fonua, Marsters, Jennings and Thompson. Mbye is no Hodgson, Tedesco or great Fullback but he is at least keeping the back line together. (Keep proving me wrong little Mbye man).

Farah is having the season of his life. Brooks is doing well and hopefully either Marshall or Reynolds can stay on the field this year.

At the start of the year I expected us to be 8th. Were going to see the Sea Eagles sink out of the 8 due to injury and Canberra will lower due to Leilua but they will stay in the 8. I suspect we will finish somewhere 5-8 this season. Good work guys, good work McGuire.

@crazycat said in How Great are we going at the moment:

I was meaning to post this for the Roosters game. We lost 42-12 but watching that game I saw something I hadn’t seen in ages. We played Hard. People looking from the outside would think it was a whitewash. We tackled, we got pounded and we pounded back.
Sure we lost and we lost to a much better side. But that better side is NR1 on the ladder for a reason (mainly Latrell Mitchell, also Luke Keary, Cronk, etc.).

Us vs Penrith shows how far we have come. People are not talking about our forwards who are actually playing a great game. It’s clearly not the Mats and Packer show but that gives us a lot of hope.

Fonua, Marsters, Jennings and Thompson. Mbye is no Hodgson, Tedesco or great Fullback but he is at least keeping the back line together. (Keep proving me wrong little Mbye man).

Farah is having the season of his life. Brooks is doing well and hopefully either Marshall or Reynolds can stay on the field this year.

At the start of the year I expected us to be 8th. Were going to see the Sea Eagles sink out of the 8 due to injury and Canberra will lower due to Leilua but they will stay in the 8. I suspect we will finish somewhere 5-8 this season. Good work guys, good work McGuire.

Consistency and high morale are the keys.

Read somewhere the nrl is allowing suburban finals matches this year ow there is an incentive for us. I’ll see if o can find a link

They are doing a great job and hopefully can go on with it. It is great to see our attack starting to fire this year. Our key players are sharing the responsibility and Benji looked really fired up during the game it was great to see.

We have some very tough match ups coming up against teams with plenty of speed. Would be great to get a couple wins from the next month.

Storm
Rabbits
Bye
Raiders

This time in 2018 we were in free fall down the ladder. We struggled to find points and I assume Ivan had another team on his mind.

@the_third said in How Great are we going at the moment:

Read somewhere the nrl is allowing suburban finals matches this year ow there is an incentive for us. I’ll see if o can find a link

Why? We’d be playing at Bankwest.

I think our outside backs excluding Thompson are pretty average. We need some gun outside backs. Our forwards are going great and our spine although inconsistent are pretty good.

@Earl size and speed. Size and speed x 3

Our outside backs are terrible. Don’t agree its the best in a while. Jennings and Fonua are the same player, Masters goes one good game in 5, while Mbyes consistency places him at the weaker end of the nrl in fullbacks.

The forwards are aiming up and trying. Still lack 2 punch forwards but their trying.

People bringing up home semi finals? - Come off it.

Will u eat your sock if we make it?

@WeHaveCheeKam they did OK the other night. Granted the Panthers were terrible but I think the outside backs all crossed the stripe sans Fonua so they are all capable of making the most of opportunities provided them when they are on their game. Helps when the spine do their bit as well.

@WeHaveCheeKam Are Jennings and Fonua the same player. It’s weird as I see Jennings being a little more Agile while Fonua is clearly a try line barger.

I totally agree that Mbye is a weaker fullback then most teams. He attacks like he is playing halfback, and that’s fine. It’s his defense… too little a little too late is what worries me.

What I am seeing though is the back line jelling. From Brooks to Marsters to Thompson people have their combinations reasonably set. No one is a superstar but everyone is good enough to be a threat.

We won’t be top 4, but we will be making the 8.

@WeHaveCheeKam Are Jennings and Fonua the same player. It’s weird as I see Jennings being a little more Agile while Fonua is clearly a try line barger.

I totally agree that Mbye is a weaker fullback then most teams. He attacks like he is playing halfback, and that’s fine. It’s his defense… too little a little too late is what worries me.

What I am seeing though is the back line jelling. From Brooks to Marsters to Thompson people have their combinations reasonably set. No one is a superstar but everyone is good enough to be a threat.

We won’t be top 4, but we will be making the 8.

I like your confidence!

We played hard …but made stupid mistakes at crucial stages and we paid the ultimate price

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.