Luke Brooks

• @cktiger said in Luke Brooks:

@The_Patriot said in Luke Brooks:

@2041 said in Luke Brooks:

@The_Patriot Did Brodie Croft remain composed under pressure when we played the Storm in Auckland last year? Because I seem to recall him letting a kick off bounce over his head so we could get the ball back and score, botching a field goal to give us a seven-tackle set we went ahead off, not being given the ball by Cam Smith in the closing minutes and then being dropped for three months. The grass is always greener, I suppose.

if you think thats the true representation of Brody Croft then thats ok. Each to their own.

I see a guy who is going to end up one of if not the best half backs in the game.

I think Brooksie has a few years and a lot more games up his sleeve than Croft.
    All the people sticking up for Brooks seem to think that anyone who looks critically at his game has it in for him.
    Truth is everyone wants him to put it all together … its been over 120 first grade games now.
    No matter what any of his support base say it can’t change the fact he isn’t great under pressure or a proven matchwinner.
    He throws more hospital passes than anyone I can think of (poor Chris Lawrence) and drifts in and out of games.
    He has a list of excuses a mile long as to why he hasn’t performed… Farah, Marshall, poor forwards, poor outside backs, poor game plans.
    On the upside, his defence has improved immensely, he’s fast, he’s still young… plus he’s getting a lot of experience.
    Only consistent performances will get people off his back.
    Hope he comes good and we’ll all be happy!

How many halfbacks in the comp are proven match winners? You could count them on one hand and still have fingers to spare.

• @cktiger said in Luke Brooks:

@The_Patriot Did Brodie Croft remain composed under pressure when we played the Storm in Auckland last year? Because I seem to recall him letting a kick off bounce over his head so we could get the ball back and score, botching a field goal to give us a seven-tackle set we went ahead off, not being given the ball by Cam Smith in the closing minutes and then being dropped for three months. The grass is always greener, I suppose.

if you think thats the true representation of Brody Croft then thats ok. Each to their own.

I see a guy who is going to end up one of if not the best half backs in the game.

I think Brooksie has a few years and a lot more games up his sleeve than Croft.
    All the people sticking up for Brooks seem to think that anyone who looks critically at his game has it in for him.
    Truth is everyone wants him to put it all together … its been over 120 first grade games now.
    No matter what any of his support base say it can’t change the fact he isn’t great under pressure or a proven matchwinner.
    He throws more hospital passes than anyone I can think of (poor Chris Lawrence) and drifts in and out of games.
    He has a list of excuses a mile long as to why he hasn’t performed… Farah, Marshall, poor forwards, poor outside backs, poor game plans.
    On the upside, his defence has improved immensely, he’s fast, he’s still young… plus he’s getting a lot of experience.
    Only consistent performances will get people off his back.
    Hope he comes good and we’ll all be happy!

There are some people who have it in for him, to be fair - some on here want him dropped or shopped. But fine, let’s say that’s a crazy minority. I also don’t agree with the other anti Brooks narrative, which is “I’d love it if he started to deliver”. Because he is delivering. All but a handful of clubs in the comp would swap their halfback for Brooks like a shot. He’s only underperforming if your benchmark is Andrew Johns.

• @The_Patriot said in Luke Brooks:

I’m not saying Croft won’t be good. What I’m saying is if your argument against Brooks is that he made X mistake in Y game you can do the same for any player you care to name.

I bet Brooks would love to play with Smith, Munster and one of the most potent back lines in the game.

I also note that Brooks outperforms Croft in virtually any statistical category you’d care to mention.

• @2041 said in Luke Brooks:

He’s only underperforming if your benchmark is Andrew Johns.

I think that this is what a bunch of guys are expecting. They are expecting a player at that level because when I watch footy there aren’t many halves better than Brooks and if they are better it isn’t by a whole lot.

The benchmark has to be Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis etc.

• This post is deleted!

I’m not saying Croft won’t be good. What I’m saying is if your argument against Brooks is that he made X mistake in Y game you can do the same for any player you care to name.

Actually thats not what im saying at all. Ive written enough in this thread for someone to get a grasp of what im saying.

I also note that Brooks outperforms Croft in virtually any statistical category you’d care to mention.

Yeah I find that part funny. Sure there are players better than Brooks and there will continue to be as the years roll by, unless Brooks goes to another level again.

But Brodie Croft? He’s alright but surely no upgrade on Brooks. We have to remember that we’d be buying Brodie Croft to insert into the Tigers roster and he’s not bringing Smith, Munster and NAS with him.

I thought Brooks totally outplayed Croft last night and has done so on 100% of matches against Melbourne. Brooks was scoring tries, laying on attacking raids and his tactical kicking was really sharp. Croft spent most of the night distributing modestly and trying not to miss tackles.

I would genuinely expect that if you randomly surveyed NRL fans, there would not be a majority who would say Croft is a better prospect now or in the future than Luke Brooks. And it that were proven true, then why swap same for same?

• Again he still needs some forwards with punch and outside backs with speed

He wasn’t bad last night …but he needed to run the ball more and kicked for touch more often

Taking the Melbourne back 3 running game out would help greatly and give us tighter control of their sets of six

• ForumSupporter

@happy_tiger said in Luke Brooks:

Again he still needs some forwards with punch and outside backs with speed

He wasn’t bad last night …but he needed to run the ball more and kicked for touch more often

Taking the Melbourne back 3 running game out would help greatly and give us tighter control of their sets of six

Yeah I know only ran for 113m way down on his 140-160m average…

Melbourne only made it out of their 20 twice on kick returns last night once was that final set…the tactic of targeting Vunivalululu with high kicks was right…very shakey most times once was duded of a knock on…the majority of the time the chase was spot on stopping him 10m out in a corner…

• @happy_tiger said in Luke Brooks:

This. Brooks improvement over the past couple of seasons has coincided with an improvement (steady, not massive) in our forward pack. We’ve gone from being easy-beats up the middle to a team who can get in the grind for the most part and hold the ruck. We got bent backwards massively against the Eels and chooks and the result was plain for all to see. Last night I would argue we slightly won or at least held the middle and that’s enough for Brooks to play well, in so far as he has more room to move and set his plays. We lack that genuine speed out wide though and that hurts him to an extent as he can throw a great pass but we don’t have the speed to finish the job. There’s those occasional plays close to the line where he pops the short ball which the opposition misses and we pick up a try but we lack that penetrating left edge backrower (Rowdy runs a good line admittedly), and Marsters while reasonably agile, is no speedster.

All things considered, I don’t know how the other top halves would fare in our team at the moment compared to Luke…consider the forward packs the chooks, Souths, Storm have compared to us…

• @Geo said in Luke Brooks:

Melbourne only made it out of their 20 twice on kick returns last night once was that final set…the tactic of targeting Vunivalululu with high kicks was right…very shakey most times once was duded of a knock on…the majority of the time the chase was spot on stopping him 10m out in a corner…

Seeing one of those runs was a 40 metre intercept …

My point still remains he didn’t take the line on at speed at all

And the last kick should of been drilled into touch …he should of called for the last ruck to be worked closer to the sideline

• @happy_tiger and he shouldn’t have had to be putting his hands in the air questioning why yet again, he didn’t get the ball when he wanted it.

• @formerguest said in Luke Brooks:

@happy_tiger and he shouldn’t have to be putting his hands in the air questioning why he didn’t get the ball again when he wanted it.

And he shouldn’t have turned his back to the bomb …

• @hobbo1 yeah, didn’t look good, though I thought that with momentum and a jump it was Esan’s job to catch it, or at least not be lazy in getting over there. Might have another look when I can bear to, but lack of communication was also a big issue.

• ForumSupporter

@Geo said in Luke Brooks:

Seeing one of those runs was a 40 metre intercept …

My point still remains he didn’t take the line on at speed at all

And the last kick should of been drilled into touch …he should of called for the last ruck to be worked closer to the sideline

Brody Croft made 40m total all game

You know the game doesn’t work that way with drilling it into touch…if he did that the magic 8 ball tells me Addo-Carr would have went under the posts from the scrum un touched…

Recent Topics