Luke Brooks

• @Tiger_Steve im just speaking of skill and talent based on watching them when they were developing @ HolyCross & Under 20s. Not on the way he exited the club. speaking objectively

• @bigsiro said in Luke Brooks:

@2041
    Doing my best not to take the bait. Really am. I just don’t take those amazing stats at face value.

What exactly is it about those stats that indicate that he is Top Line?

Line engagements: for his 71 engagements (top in NRL) he has only broken the line once (!!!) with only 3 line break assists (!!!) (and by the way, 2 of those were vs Penrith last week). Poor! Absolutely poor! I actually think his running game is good, but if anything, this stat just highlights how non-penetrating he is as a halfback!
    Try Assists: He is 5th. Not bad I’ll give him that! But 2 were last week and 2 previous aren’t even worthy of mention. I’ve referred to them in other threads.
    Kick Metres: Yes, he kicks far but his long kicking game has never developed. He just basically hands over possession. He can’t put up a spiral, rarely finds grass, doesn’t kick 40/20’s. This stat is about as valuable as minutes played - he probably has lots of those too.
    Missed tackles: 21st. Crikey. I suppose that’s an improvement (?). Aren’t you’re trying to demonstrate that he is top class, not middle of the pack? What was the point of even referencing this stat?
    Handling errors: So, because he hasn’t dropped the ball we should think he is top-class? Talk about a low bar!
    Player in support: What is this stat? how much he backs up when others make a break? I don’t get this one…

Lots of these stats just seems like clutching at straws to me… why bother?

Well, as I alluded to in my original post these are the stats that exist. I can only work with what’s available. The point is that he features high in important categories across the board. He might not be absolutely spectacular in any one thing but he isn’t bad at anything, really, and he’s in and around the top 5-10 in more or less everything. That’s a bloody valuable player, especially when you consider he’s playing in a team that is pretty bog average otherwise.

I’ll respond to a few specific points.
    Line engagements: the fact that Brooks played “before the line” was always held up as one of his failings in his first couple of years. He’s clearly not doing that any more. I don’t think line breaks is particularly useful for a half - if you look at the top 50 for line breaks the only half in the top 10 is Cody Walker. That said, I agree that it would be nice to see Brooks breaking the line himself a bit more given how important his running game is. I didn’t say he was perfect. What this stat shows is that he is playing at the line, which helps keep sets’ momentum up and no doubt massively assists his forwards. If he had more around him it would almost certainly result in more line break assists and try assists.
    Try assists: I’m not going to accept that any try assists ‘don’t count’ unless you go back and do the same for all the other halves. The fact that two came last week is totally irrelevant - I notice Keary is top, shall we dock him a few because they came against the Tigers? Brooks is 5th, period.
    Missed tackles: I included this because Brooks’s defence often gets criticised. He is in fact roughly average as a defender for a half, not a liability.
    Handling errors: Again, included for context and yes, being reliable is important. Everyone is lauding Keary to the heavens this year but it’s not irrelevant that he drops the ball nearly twice a game.
    Player in support: I’m sorry you don’t think this is relevant but that doesn’t mean it isn’t. This is backing up - being next man available for an offload or tackle. Look at the top 10 and tell me you think these are bad players: Keary, Townsend, Gordon, Croft, Gutherson, Brooks, Mbye, Hughes, Johnston, Tedesco.

I’m not trying to say Brooks is the new Andrew Johns, that there are no areas of his game that can be improved or that he’s come through as quickly as we’d have liked. But for a 24 year old who has played his whole career in poor to average teams and mostly with crap coaching, he is delivering a lot more than he’s given credit for.

Here are this week’s starting halves. The ones Brooks is playing better than or who have no track record are highlighted: Brodie Croft, Nathan Cleary, Blake Green, Tom Dearden, Cooper Cronk, Ashley Taylor, Jack Cogger, Michael Morgan, Mitchell Moses, Sam Williams, Adam Reynolds, Ben Hunt, Mitchell Pearce, Chad Townsend, Kane Elgey.

• @trentrunciman said in Luke Brooks:

@GNR4LIFE ok mate. if it makes you sleep better at night brother

Tell me how that is wrong? Moses was always ahead of Brooks in the club’s pecking order. Brooks was the last of the 4. The club tried to get Moses to sign for 12 months and he strung the club along. Can’t blame the club for that. The best thing Cleary did in his tenure was pull the contract offer a week after being appointed. Would have knocked the ego down a peg I’m sure.

• Until he can lead his own team to the Top 8 or even a few wins in a row he has no chance… Remember the Panthers game about 5 weeks ago when a top notch Halfback takes control and closes out a win… I like him but not ready for me.

• No way is he Origin ready. He would be a pedestrian in Origin like Cleary was. A Reynolds and Keary would be far better options.

• If nothing else, this article proves the club won’t be shopping him around anytime soon and he is indeed the long term no 7.

• @trentrunciman I believe I’m being objective as well. My point is, whilst I agree he has incredible talent, I believe he has shown many many times he does not have what it takes when the going gets tough. And I’m not just talking about how he exited - I have thought this for a long time. In a previous life I was a rep footy schoolboy selector - we always looked for the kid who put on effort after effort after effort, not necessarily the kid who threw the no look pass. Moses, in my humble opinion, rarely puts his body on the line. Never has!

• He deserves to be in the conversation at the very least.

I think it will happen most likely next year or if Keary and Reynolds don’t fire in the first couple games.

Is the team selected after we play Souths?

• Keary and Reynolds are the only 2 threats to the incumbent halves as far as I’m concerned - they are streets ahead of all others, with Townsend next in line.

Sadly, I think Fittler will stick with Maloney and Cleary, neither of which deserve it, tho he might throw in Keary in place of Maloney because his form is just too hard to ignore…plus he’s a Rooster. I reckon that Fittler will bank on Cleary, at least, stepping up and finding some form in a different team environment. It’s not like it hasn’t happened before. Some of the previous incumbents that have been chosen, when completely out of form with their club, have gone on to have a great Origin series.

• @Tiger_Steve said in Luke Brooks:

@trentrunciman I believe I’m being objective as well. My point is, whilst I agree he has incredible talent, I believe he has shown many many times he does not have what it takes when the going gets tough. And I’m not just talking about how he exited - I have thought this for a long time. In a previous life I was a rep footy schoolboy selector - we always looked for the kid who put on effort after effort after effort, not necessarily the kid who threw the no look pass. Moses, in my humble opinion, rarely puts his body on the line. Never has!

The ‘‘effort’’ he made in tackling Papenhuyzen was reserve grade stuff. Just flung an arm out and tried to grab him. Papenhuyzen blew straight past him.

• @GNR4LIFE said in Luke Brooks:

Tell me how that is wrong? Moses was always ahead of Brooks in the club’s pecking order. Brooks was the last of the 4. The club tried to get Moses to sign for 12 months and he strung the club along. Can’t blame the club for that. The best thing Cleary did in his tenure was pull the contract offer a week after being appointed. Would have knocked the ego down a peg I’m sure.

Yep. I think Brooks is the better player anyway. Brooks defence is a lot better and he is more consistent.

• @GNR4LIFE said in Luke Brooks:

If nothing else, this article proves the club won’t be shopping him around anytime soon and he is indeed the long term no 7.

He does have to work on his game but he is pretty good right now. I don’t know how many halves are above him in the comp. He is better than both SOO incumbents. He won the Dally M last year for a reason.

I accept that the halves in the comp aren’t at the level of Johns or Lewis or Sterling but the pool is what the pool is. Cronk might have been a great but I think Keary is better than him now.

• He’d be 4th in line for NSW

They’d be mad not to play Reynolds , Keary ,Cook and Tedesco

• @Earl said in Luke Brooks:
    Cronk might have been a great but I think Keary is better than him now.

Say what?

• The only handicap he has, is that others are goalkickers, which sadly is not easily overcome. Still, I would choose to have a pair of Luke’s in the halves, so yes, I think he is ready to take the step to origin.

Furthermore, I reckon he would excel with Keary alongside and run ragged if his pack gave him a level footing to play from. They are the future, with Reynolds, Pearce and co the past, with traitor junior doing nothing in his shot last year and form not warranting another chance.

Recent Topics