Luke Brooks

Brooks has work to do, no question about that. I still think he lacks the ability to take a hold of a game in clutch moments and while he seems to be making inroads he needs to consistently deliver with 5th tackle options. I am far from in love with the blokes ability on field but I think he’s doing enough to stay there when there’s no real viable option in CC for us to promote.

@Cultured_Bogan

something may change… hopefully…

because he has so much potential, and i want him to thrive

@Cultured_Bogan said in Luke Brooks:

@The_Patriot said in Luke Brooks:

Lol people are so precious. Yes he is signed for 5 years and yes Maguire played a part in that.

I doubt he will be here at the end playing half back if he can’t step up and start winning more than the odd game.

You guys crack me up, the old 1, 2 3.

Settle down, you made a comment about Ivan and Luke, I was asking a genuine question as to whether Madge or Ivan retained him as I thought it was Madge who resigned him and thought that your comment was a bit of a non sequitur, nor was I a smartarse about it.

Jesus, I disagree with two of your opinions over a couple of days and now apparently I have it in for you? Drop the inferiority complex.

Fair enough CB, I was having a go at the collective response from you Geo and Gnr not you so much. My fault not explaining that in a clearer fashion.

@GNR4LIFE said in Luke Brooks:

Lol people are so precious. Yes he is signed for 5 years and yes Maguire played a part in that.

I doubt he will be here at the end playing half back if he can’t step up and start winning more than the odd game.

The irony of you calling someone else precious but I digress.

There is a lot of delusion with those who dislike Brooks. Not because they dislike him, but because they are convinced he’s constantly on thin ice, regardless of how much credit the coach gives or how much faith the club puts in him.

Two types of people in the world. Those who believe what they ate told and those that need to see it with their own eyes.

You say he is secure here long term and Maguire likes him. Others need to see Luke Brooks step into an on field leadership role and start winning us games.

You are correct in what you say, he is liked and locked in.

Won’t mean a thing all the talk unless he steps up and leads this team. Maguire like every coach worth his salt will favour on field results over anything else in the end.

@Cultured_Bogan said in Luke Brooks:

Settle down, you made a comment about Ivan and Luke, I was asking a genuine question as to whether Madge or Ivan retained him as I thought it was Madge who resigned him and thought that your comment was a bit of a non sequitur, nor was I a smartarse about it.

Jesus, I disagree with two of your opinions over a couple of days and now apparently I have it in for you? Drop the inferiority complex.

Fair enough CB, I was having a go at the collective response from you Geo and Gnr not you so much. My fault not explaining that in a clearer fashion.

Fair enough Pat. Understand there’s no bones though, I don’t go looking for people as it’s not constructive.

There is a lot of delusion with those who dislike Brooks. Not because they dislike him, but because they are convinced he’s constantly on thin ice, regardless of how much credit the coach gives or how much faith the club puts in him.

Two types of people in the world. Those who believe what they ate told and those that need to see it with their own eyes.

You say he is secure here long term and Maguire likes him. Others need to see Luke Brooks step into an on field leadership role and start winning us games.

Won’t mean a thing all the talk unless he steps up and leads this team. Maguire like every coach worth his salt will favour on field results over anything else in the end.

That’s the thing…Brooks doesn’t need to step in and win games on his own is what I keep hearing from his distractors…very few players in the game could do that regularly …they are immortals…there are very few that do it now regularly on their own…

You say that Brooks has no leadership role on the field yet Farah came out in an article and said he often gets a bake from Brooks for not giving him the ball how and when he wants it …he is also very vocal in game reviews and video sessions…

it’s a team game…Brooks just needs to continue to improve the parts of his game that need improvement and build on the parts that are working well for him…contribute with his team mates around him to win games…which is what he did last year and has done again this year…he has contributed to every win…and tried in every loss…

If your expecting an Andrew Johns, Peter Sterling or Johnathon Thurston you will be dissapointed …they don’t come around everyday…but you will get a 1st Grade half who is prepared to work very hard on improving his game and the team …

@Geo

ever thought about a career in debating, 😄

but you then need to go out and recruit a top class organising half back. only way i see him here long term

Oh oh oh oh - don’t think anyone disagrees with you, that if a top-class organising halfback becomes available, Tigers should go at them as hard as possible.

But who is this messiah? The best organising halfback in the game is Cronk and we decided to both a) could not accommodate his late-season decision timeframe, and b) probably were no chance anyway, and c) realistically needed something longer-term than 2 years, and d) would be competing with Roosters for the signature.

Munster is the best 5/8th at the moment and he’s more of an attacker and threat generator than a top-class organiser. And he doesn’t have to be, because he has Cameron Smith.

Then Luke Keary and Cody Walker, rounding out the 4 genuine high-talent, in-form halves. Both are attacking units and not really organisers.

So IMO 3/4 top halves in the comp are attackers, not organisers.

Who is the next on the rung for organising halfback? Probably Adam Reynolds and hence why he’s in the frame for Origin. Does he consistently excel in pressure? No. Sometimes he does, others no. Does he have a great attacking game? No he doesn’t, but he is an excellent tactical kicker and that’s his main thing. Is he a defensive powerhouse? No.

Then… Nathan Cleary? No. Chad Townsend - he goes alright with a limited physical skillset, but nobody would say he’s top flight and he’s further out of Origin discussions than Brooksie. Brodie Croft? Blake Green? Ash Taylor? Michael Morgan? Mitchell Pearce? Mitchell Moses?

The cupboard is pretty bare bro and 16 clubs all want a top-class organising HB. But sure, next top-class organising HB that becomes available, by all means take a look. Until then, Luke Brooks.

last edited by jirskyr

@2041 said in Luke Brooks:

The numbers show that over the past season and a half he is a good first grade half, probably in the top five and certainly in the top 10.

Exactly. People are comparing him to Andrew Johns or Wally Lewis in their primes. Compare him to the current halves in the comp and he is pretty good.

@Geo said in Luke Brooks:

That’s the thing…Brooks doesn’t need to step in and win games on his own is what I keep hearing from his distractors…very few players in the game could do that regularly …they are immortals…there are very few that do it now regularly on their own…

You say that Brooks has no leadership role on the field yet Farah came out in an article and said he often gets a bake from Brooks for not giving him the ball how and when he wants it …he is also very vocal in game reviews and video sessions…

it’s a team game…Brooks just needs to continue to improve the parts of his game that need improvement and build on the parts that are working well for him…contribute with his team mates around him to win games…which is what he did last year and has done again this year…he has contributed to every win…and tried in every loss…

If your expecting an Andrew Johns, Peter Sterling or Johnathon Thurston you will be dissapointed …they don’t come around everyday…but you will get a 1st Grade half who is prepared to work very hard on improving his game and the team …

Thanks for the thought out and detailed response. Its refreshing.

I get where you are coming from. Luke Brooks is a reasonable quality footballer. He has improved and will continue to improve. Yes there are many other players in the comp not going as well as he is also.

My issue isnt Luke Brooks as such, yes i think he chokes under pressure. Hopefully that improves but my issue we are putting all our eggs in one basket.

We are going into our future, a future where desperately need to challenge for and or win premierships. We go into this future without a quality number 9. We go into this future with a fullback who wouldnt be in the top 10 in the comp. Our 5/8 while energetic also hasnt really shown he can lead us around the field when it counts. Add to that can remain injury free?

All we have is Luke Brooks.

At this stage of his career he hasnt stepped up to be a consistent team leader. he hasnt shown he can be an orginising half back who can handle the pressure of finals football. He is still up and down and there is a massive difference between his best and his worst…

I say move him to 5/8 where he is away from the orginising and where he is more naturally suited and go out and get a half back who can lead us around under pressure.

His fans will want to give him time to develop into that role but i for one just dont see it happening. At best he is a good quality running 5/8.

@Geo This is the frustrating thing. The Brooks baggers nowadays have to resort to things that are basically unprovable to maintain the idea that he’s no good. It’s always vague claims that he’s “not a leader” or “folds under pressure” which most of us don’t think are true but are bloody hard to disprove.

It’s like, what’s the single most clutch moment in recent NRL history? Thurston’s field goal in the grand final. Well, what if Hunt hadn’t dropped the golden point kick off and the Broncos had marched down the other end and scored a field goal of their own? Who missed a conversion to win the game at the end of normal time? Would we be calling Thurston a choker who can’t handle the big moment? I doubt it, because he’s The Immortal JT. But this is narrative stuff, not empirically provable. If someone wants to believe that Brooks “isn’t a leader” or “cracks under pressure” it’s basically impossible to prove otherwise because there will always be moments where he doesn’t take the ball or doesn’t get the key play right - just like there are for any other player.

The fact is that if you look at what can be proved about Brooks, in the stats, he’s a top-class half by virtually any measure - not a great, by any means, but certainly not something that any sensible coach would have in his list of top 10 priorities to change in a team. If you, as lots on here do, want to continue to believe that’s not true you have to go to feelings and opinions instead of facts.

last edited by 2041

@jirskyr said in Luke Brooks:

but you then need to go out and recruit a top class organising half back. only way i see him here long term

Oh oh oh oh - don’t think anyone disagrees with you, that if a top-class organising halfback becomes available, Tigers should go at them as hard as possible.

But who is this messiah? The best organising halfback in the game is Cronk and we decided to both a) could not accommodate his late-season decision timeframe, and b) probably were no chance anyway, and c) realistically needed something longer-term than 2 years, and d) would be competing with Roosters for the signature.

Munster is the best 5/8th at the moment and he’s more of an attacker and threat generator than a top-class organiser. And he doesn’t have to be, because he has Cameron Smith.

Then Luke Keary and Cody Walker, rounding out the 4 genuine high-talent, in-form halves. Both are attacking units and not really organisers.

So IMO 3/4 top halves in the comp are attackers, not organisers.

Who is the next on the rung for organising halfback? Probably Adam Reynolds and hence why he’s in the frame for Origin. Does he consistently excel in pressure? No. Sometimes he does, others no. Does he have a great attacking game? No he doesn’t, but he is an excellent tactical kicker and that’s his main thing. Is he a defensive powerhouse? No.

Then… Nathan Cleary? No. Chad Townsend - he goes alright with a limited physical skillset, but nobody would say he’s top flight and he’s further out of Origin discussions than Brooksie. Brodie Croft? Blake Green? Ash Taylor? Michael Morgan? Mitchell Pearce? Mitchell Moses?

The cupboard is pretty bare bro and 16 clubs all want a top-class organising HB. But sure, next top-class organising HB that becomes available, by all means take a look. Until then, Luke Brooks.

The one guy you mentiond who i would look at would be Brody Croft. He may be a year away but out of those guys he could be the one who could lead a team around the park.

If not him this what recruiting is for. There are a number of good looking young halves coming through. Weve seen an explosion of them this year. I trust a guy like Maguire to sniff one out.

PS its not about talent its about mentality. Dont recruit the flashiest player or the biggest name recruit the guy with a strong leadership and kicking game who remains composed under pressure.

last edited by The_Patriot

@The_Patriot Did Brodie Croft remain composed under pressure when we played the Storm in Auckland last year? Because I seem to recall him letting a kick off bounce over his head so we could get the ball back and score, botching a field goal to give us a seven-tackle set we went ahead off, not being given the ball by Cam Smith in the closing minutes and then being dropped for three months. The grass is always greener, I suppose.

@The_Patriot Did Brodie Croft remain composed under pressure when we played the Storm in Auckland last year? Because I seem to recall him letting a kick off bounce over his head so we could get the ball back and score, botching a field goal to give us a seven-tackle set we went ahead off, not being given the ball by Cam Smith in the closing minutes and then being dropped for three months. The grass is always greener, I suppose.

if you think thats the true representation of Brody Croft then thats ok. Each to their own.

I see a guy who is going to end up one of if not the best half backs in the game.

if you think thats the true representation of Brody Croft then thats ok. Each to their own.

I see a guy who is going to end up one of if not the best half backs in the game.

I think Brooksie has a few years and a lot more games up his sleeve than Croft.
All the people sticking up for Brooks seem to think that anyone who looks critically at his game has it in for him.
Truth is everyone wants him to put it all together … its been over 120 first grade games now.
No matter what any of his support base say it can’t change the fact he isn’t great under pressure or a proven matchwinner.
He throws more hospital passes than anyone I can think of (poor Chris Lawrence) and drifts in and out of games.
He has a list of excuses a mile long as to why he hasn’t performed… Farah, Marshall, poor forwards, poor outside backs, poor game plans.
On the upside, his defence has improved immensely, he’s fast, he’s still young… plus he’s getting a lot of experience.
Only consistent performances will get people off his back.
Hope he comes good and we’ll all be happy!

Recent Topics

Support our community by clicking here and joining our Forum Support Scheme

Can’t log in or access your account?
Send an email to contact@weststigersforum.com and we’ll get you back online.