Ryan Papenhuyzen

• @Geo said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@The_Patriot said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

Its not a perfect science but it sure helps having a quality recruitment team who can identify talent. This hasnt always been the case at this club.

Good recruitment and retention personal get this right more than we get it wrong.

This is true…If you are talking about junior recruitment …I think the Club has turned the corner with Dave Warwick and the signing of the current crop of development players…

I note too that Warren McDonnell recently got the arse from the dogs…

NRL recruitment is a different case with now Madge really only getting involved…time will tell what type of player Madge can attract …he will have plenty of scope with the amount of off contract players 2019 and still 1 spot to fill this year…I believe Corey Thompson is close to being re-signed by the Club…

I am extremely happy Waren McDonlad is no longer around. No surprise to see the Dogs punt him very early into his time there.

• There was a much better fullback at the Storm if I recall,.

• Honestly, if the tigers drafted Zion Williams I am 100% sure we would let him go to the Roosters too. Even RJ Barrett’s or Ja Morant

• Lol looks like he’s already better than Tedesco

• He looked slow

• @BalmainJnr didn’t look committed either

• @BalmainJnr LOL gotta love this club. 5 mins out all my mates said watch em lose now LOL HAHA

• He’s lightening quick but teams will see him coming like we did. A fullback needs a lot more to be up there with Tedescoe etc.

• @gallagher don’t worry we got Mbye 😀😀😀

• @trentrunciman said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@gallagher don’t worry we got Mbye 😀😀😀

Yeah, there’s a few issues there isn’t there. Corey? He must be getting close for the number 1.

• Already a better fullback than Mbye.

• @GNR4LIFE said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

You’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t. We threw a heap of money at Suli and look how that turned out. A lot complained that we overpaid Brooks and Moses when they first debuted. Juniors are a lottery.

Like I said in another thread the problem is the NRL. It’s top heavy. The NRL needs a draft system or something similar otherwise clubs like the Broncos, storm, roosters et Al will continue to prosper.

Tigers are no chance for at least the foreseeable future.

• @WeHaveCheeKam Nonsense. Stop pumping people’s tyres after 7 matches. He’s got a lot more work to do to show he can physically compete season after season.

I’ve seen blokes like Mighty Mouse and Matt Dufty do amazing solo running, darting in and out, scoring some great tries, but it doesn’t take defences long to figure you out and eventually the grind takes its toll. You’ll never see a better solo try than Nathan Gardner those years ago, and where is he now? Plenty of other names come to mind - Leon Bott, Denan Kemp, Shane Whereat, Lee Oudenryn, Andrew Frew… Darren Clark!!

Tigers stuffed up to let Paps score that try, but after that they got him pretty much every time, and towards the end it was clobbering not just catching - Fonua smashed him, as did Matulino… then Brooks rolled over him and Paps got up gingerly.

Not death-wishing the kid but in 35 years I have seen plenty of quick little blokes who can’t keep it up. And frankly the modern game is less kind to small/quick than the older styles were.

• @jirskyr said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@WeHaveCheeKam Nonsense. Stop pumping people’s tyres after 7 matches. He’s got a lot more work to do to show he can physically compete season after season.

And frankly the modern game is less kind to small/quick than the older styles were.

Yes. It is early but Ryan will be around for a while. He has excelled in all the lower grades in a similar vein to Moses; Teddy et al. And the modern game is definitely suited to smaller players. You know the interchange is getting decreased right? You do know what that means right? larger players? Bigger bodies? i think not.

• @trentrunciman said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@jirskyr said in Ryan Papenhuyzen:

@WeHaveCheeKam Nonsense. Stop pumping people’s tyres after 7 matches. He’s got a lot more work to do to show he can physically compete season after season.

And frankly the modern game is less kind to small/quick than the older styles were.

Yes. It is early but Ryan will be around for a while. He has excelled in all the lower grades in a similar vein to Moses; Teddy et al. And the modern game is definitely suited to smaller players. You know the interchange is getting decreased right? You do know what that means right? larger players? Bigger bodies? i think not.

Oh well Mitchell Moses as an example, I’m sold. You know who else excelled in lower grades? Bloody everyone who plays first grade, that’s the point. If he’s been around so long, why has he only played 7 FG games?

It’s also fine to excel in lower grades when you are a little fellow who doesn’t have to take on NRL-quality defensive sides weekly.

I’m not saying Paps won’t become a regular FG player but it’s a big IF and a bold prediction. I’d rather back stronger horses.

Personally I think Paps plays a lot like Dufty, who had a standout first season and hasn’t been able to maintain that level. I also think that Paps has a really ungainly way of running, though he is quick, I have a suspicion he may lose pace as he ages because his natural technique isn’t great. Also if he cops a leg injury as a small bloke, then what happens to his speed?

Lastly no, NRL have made no definitive call on dropping the interchange. They are obviously thinking about it, but they’ve also made it clear that they need to consider the wider implications if they make that change - there was an article just this week (Roy Master I think) about the concern of blowouts if they drop the interchange, because yes it favours little guys but it also favours routs if one team gets on top and the last thing the NRL wants is blow-outs.

Already in 2019 refs are being more lenient in the ruck (except for last night), which is resulting in less stoppages, faster games and increasingly tired players. Perhaps the current reffing style removes the need to consider dropping interchange.

But, by all means, buy up all the dwarves in the comp in anticipation of the return of “the little man”. Clive Churchill would be so pleased.

Recent Topics