Greg Inglis ruling gives Bennett's Bunnies $1m cap relief

• Greg Inglis ruling gives Bennett’s Bunnies $1m cap relief

By AAP
    an hour ago
    Rival clubs were closely scrutinising the NRL’s decision after Inglis walked away from the game with 18 months remaining on his deal.

The NRL put the decision to the other 15 clubs at a meeting of the game’s chief executives last week and they say it was not met with any objections.

After hanging up his boots because of a mounting toll on his body, Inglis said he would forego the $1.5 million owed to him in his playing contract.

He has taken up a role - worth about $300,000 - with the Rabbitohs which includes an assistant coaching position, as well as working with the club’s commercial division and charity arm Souths Cares.

The NRL considered three other outcomes before handing down its decision, starting with including the outstanding amount from his contract in the cap.

They also weighed up including the money earned from his employment contract in the cap and excluding all of the money earned by Inglis or owed to him.

The NRL argue their decision is fair and reasonable.

“We are comfortable that Greg genuinely had had enough,” said NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks.

“If you accept that that’s right, and we do, we think it’s a good thing for him to remain involved in the club and in the game.”

The NRL’s ruling could pave the way for the Rabbitohs to keep off-contract prop George Burgess, who the club has seemed resigned to losing.

The Rabbitohs had been linked to Brisbane star James Roberts, however coach Wayne Bennett has ruled out the incumbent NSW Origin centre returning to Redfern.

The amount of the Inglis salary added onto the Rabbitohs’ 2020 cap will depend on his work regime, including whether he can prove he is committed to pursuing his new career.

The NRL are mindful that such a retirement could be used by clubs as a loophole to entice players whose careers are on the wane to slide into retirement by parachuting them into a cushy office job.

But the NRL said they will audit and police Inglis closely.

• Is anyone really surprised.

i just hope Pascoe, O’farrell and co file this for future reference.

• @Newtown sure they will… NRL admin is a joke. I know circs are different but the NRL admin have to sort out this retirement and / or jobs after retirement including offers of jobs. I still don’t understand the gravity of WT error and heavy punishment.

• I don’t have a problem with it. Inglis walked away from his contract and they are including his post-career employment in the cap

• Next in line; Older players like Cameron Smith will decide to retire before there contract expires…

• I would say unbelievable, but no, I do believe it.

It’s certainly who you know isn’t it.

• @Newtown That’s always been an option for old players. Getting them to agree to do it by abandoning their right to payment is the part that makes the Inglis situation unusual. The potential rort would be if the club enticed players on contracts that outweigh their value to retire for cap relief but then paying them through other means. Whatever Inglis is getting paid by Souths is getting included in the cap.

I thought the Farah situation was harshly dealt with but it’s different to this situation.

• All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others!

• @sheer64 said in Greg Inglis ruling gives Bennett's Bunnies $1m cap relief:

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others!

Correct

• Absolute load of garbage. Souths can pay him for the next 10 years to entice him to leave, but we are wearing a cap penalty for a contract that has not been signed and relates to a period after Robbie’s contract expires.

Inglis has a mortgage that he will struggle to pay without his $1m a year salary. Expect to see the NRL top up the lost income with a token job.

• @Tbone said in Greg Inglis ruling gives Bennett's Bunnies $1m cap relief:

@Newtown That’s always been an option for old players. Getting them to agree to do it by abandoning their right to payment is the part that makes the Inglis situation unusual. The potential rort would be if the club enticed players on contracts that outweigh their value to retire for cap relief but then paying them through other means. Whatever Inglis is getting paid by Souths is getting included in the cap.

I thought the Farah situation was harshly dealt with but it’s different to this situation.

Whatever Souths tell the NRL they are paying him anyway.

• Move along, nothing to see here 🙄

Typical NRL spin doctoring at its finest - “Fair and reasonable”.

• Greggy will be cheering that’s 300K every year to spend on the piss.

• @upthetigers said in Greg Inglis ruling gives Bennett's Bunnies $1m cap relief:

Greggy will be cheering that’s 300K every year to spend on the piss.

Groggy Inglis

• @upthetigers said in Greg Inglis ruling gives Bennett's Bunnies $1m cap relief:

Greggy will be cheering that’s 300K every year to spend on the piss.

And ubers hopefully

Recent Topics