Tough one to take': Wests Tigers rue the one that got away

• Tough one to take’: Wests Tigers rue the one that got away
    Author
    Jonathan Healy
    NRL.com reporter
    Timestamp
    Thu 16 May 2019, 11:59 PM

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire was left to rue the late fadeout that cost his side victory against the Melbourne Storm on Thursday night.

The Tigers led the AAMI Park contest by eight points with a little over 10 minutes remaining, but gave up late tries to Marion Seve and Will Chambers as the Storm clinched a thrilling 24-22 victory.

It was a bitter pill to swallow for Maguire and the Tigers, who enjoyed the bulk of possession (54%) against the Storm and were arguably the better side for much of the round 10 clash.

“It was a real tough one to take actually,” Maguire said after the loss.

"I thought our boys did enough until the 77th minute mark and unfortunately we missed at the end.

“Scoring 22 points and defending the way we were, I thought it was going to be good enough to get to the other end.”

Match Highlights: Storm v Wests Tigers

Match Highlights: Storm v Wests Tigers
    Maguire refused to lay blame with the onfield decision from his players to turn down a shot at goal with a little under 15 minutes remaining that would have increased the Tigers’ advantage to 10 points.

Veteran five-eighth Benji Marshall appeared to be the one that turned down the near certain penalty goal as the Tigers instead went for the game-clinching try.

Maguire said there was no directive from the coaches box in regards to that play and that he backed his experienced players on the field to make the correct call when needed.

“They chose to run it… you build pressure and that is what the game is all about,” he said.

"You feel the momentum at that moment in time.

“There is enough leadership on the field to decide those decisions.”

Maguire said there were plenty of positives the Tigers would take out of the performance and that his players would head back to Sydney knowing they can mix it with one of the competitive heavyweights.

“There are a lot of positives out of this game for my boys and the team itself,” Maguire said.

"We played some real good footy and scored 22 points.

“We will take a lot of great things out of this game, (next time) we have got to make sure we nail it.”

took this one, better than i thought

• The intent was there from the team. It’s not like we laid down.

Still a very disappointing loss, it was ours to lose, and verily we did.

• The concern for me is that whilst I agree that we are improving in general, there is no improvement in our ability to close out a game. I was there last night and from about the 50 minute mark our attack changed significantly. We stopped throwing the ball around and went back to that grinding style of play. We were protecting the lead and we basically stopped playing footy. Imo we need to develop a mindset that we keep playing for 80 as opposed to getting to a lead and shutting up shop. Good effort but so disappointing

• @Tiger_Steve said in Tough one to take': Wests Tigers rue the one that got away:

The concern for me is that whilst I agree that we are improving in general, there is no improvement in our ability to close out a game. I was there last night and from about the 50 minute mark our attack changed significantly. We stopped throwing the ball around and went back to that grinding style of play. We were protecting the lead and we basically stopped playing footy. Imo we need to develop a mindset that we keep playing for 80 as opposed to getting to a lead and shutting up shop. Good effort but so disappointing

Haven’t watched a game there since the new ground was built and feel sorry for you having to leave it feeling so deflated. Not much worse than getting pipped on the bell for mine, though golden point is worse.

• @Tiger_Steve said in Tough one to take': Wests Tigers rue the one that got away:

The concern for me is that whilst I agree that we are improving in general, there is no improvement in our ability to close out a game. I was there last night and from about the 50 minute mark our attack changed significantly. We stopped throwing the ball around and went back to that grinding style of play. We were protecting the lead and we basically stopped playing footy. Imo we need to develop a mindset that we keep playing for 80 as opposed to getting to a lead and shutting up shop. Good effort but so disappointing

I’m curious to how you feel we can measure improvement in closing out a match? Most teams win half the close ones and again in 2019, that’s where we are. We have closed out matches this year, e.g. Titans and Broncos, but also lost 2 close ones. So there’s your 50%.

When it comes to how you actually close out matches, I do take your point that sometimes it’s better to keep playing than try to go defensively-minded. But also that’s not always true, sometimes if you keep playing attacking or expansive football you make mistakes and give the opposition opportunities.

Fundamentally, do we have a roster that is honestly capable of closing out > 50% of close games against quality opposition? This wasn’t the Penrith game where they bumbled their way to a lucky try then kicked a long-range FG. Melbourne were outplayed for most of the match, but they have a superior roster - not only capable of turning matches but proven effective at doing it.

So personally I think the ability to “close out” matches is about what you should expect from a team like Tigers 2019 - about 50% strike rate. A lot of that is not just coaching, it’s about roster and having the key players across the park to make the big plays at the end of the game when the opposition is most desperate.

Last night it wasn’t attack that failed, it was key defensive lapses. Unfortunately those types of defensive mistakes were spread across the side, but fortunately the fix is relatively straightforward - you can’t teach speed, but you sure as hell can teach defence.

Recent Topics