Help me understand this

• I see a good mix of praise and criticism for the team after last night.

I felt no real surprise or disappointment when they hit the front at the end. I also don’t feel like any individual decision from coach or a player is the problem.

All I can say after 10 weeks is our squad is good enough to go deep in the comp, we are coached well, but the intensity for 80 and attitude remain similar imo.

My wife hasn’t watched the tigers in years. She sat with me for 10 minutes at the end and said "All the players are different but they look like the same old tigers ".

My question is, how can the team and club develop the killer instinct required for success?

• Recruit winners ie: Matto

• Need to recruit more from winning clubs to start the change. As ink said, more signings like Matterson.

• @old_man_tiger said in Help me understand this:

I see a good mix of praise and criticism for the team after last night.

I felt no real surprise or disappointment when they hit the front at the end. I also don’t feel like any individual decision from coach or a player is the problem.

All I can say after 10 weeks is our squad is good enough to go deep in the comp, we are coached well, but the intensity for 80 and attitude remain similar imo.

My wife hasn’t watched the tigers in years. She sat with me for 10 minutes at the end and said "All the players are different but they look like the same old tigers ".

My question is, how can the team and club develop the killer instinct required for success?

Cheat the salary cap and dont get caught

Play every week at the same level as last night. I don’t honestly believe Storm have some magic killer instinct, they are just extremely well drilled, fall into routine well and keep mistakes to a minimum. Cameron Smith doesn’t turn matches in the 79th minute - he’s no Latrell with some blockbusting run or crazy flick-pass. He just crafts and crafts his way through every match, building pressure and momentum and competing every minute of every round.

If you have the consistency to be playing near your best every week, that is the “killer instinct”. That gives you confidence to believe you can win from any position, because you have proven able to put yourselves in winning positions regularly. You play hard all the time, compete every play, give yourself every opportunity to defend and score.

Other than that, you buy an elite footballer. Aren’t many of them around unfortunately, but if you have a Thurston or a Latrell on your books, then you can afford to be a little less consistent and just throw the ball to your man and hope he ices an outcome. That’s basically what Roosters did to Storm a few weeks ago.

• I like Maguire’s approach saying that this team has what it takes, its all about attitude and the need to become consistent. Personally I think that building a team ‘need to win or hate to lose’ attitude is part of the answer. Each player knows who is putting everything in and who is taking it easy. Maguire knows that players taking it easy are team killers, where are Nofoaluma and Packer? Once he is satisfied that everyone on the paddock is putting in every minute of every game he can really start to build consistency because all the players will be trusting each other for maximum performance.
    That is what led me to comment in another thread; our loss to Storm might be what Maguire needed to spur our players to better things. Because none of the players would be happy about putting in 78 minutes of effort and leading, only to lose in the last 2 minutes.

• Ask more of the current players and hold them accountable if they fail to do what you require of them.

Only way it works for a club like ours.

• @jirskyr I agree with your definition of what I called killer instinct. It is consistent execution of a good method.

So I see the method improve, like many, but the consistency is the bit that will determine or ladder position in my opinion.

I understand the point made earlier in the thread about recruitment. Just not sure the right type of player has shined in our system previously. Matterson is pricing that theory wrong and hopefully is the start of something good for us fans.

• Just one more bit: It is my belief that, as long as they have the basic skills, the main difference between an average ‘plodder’ player an an elite player is attitude. For example watch Latrell Mitchell or James Tedesco after they make a mistake. The team doesn’t have to get down on them for the error because they give it to themselves.

I see a good mix of praise and criticism for the team after last night.

Our coach devised a game plan that had us rolling forward, scoring points and defence that was working well. I had no problem with any of the effort or intensity (maybe except Jennings) and the occasional error, whether with or without the ball, is to be expected, so all good there. It is a collective of individual decisions made on the back of a second front rower going off the field injured that concerned me.

With the refs putting the whistle away after halftime to balance up the count, Melbourne were allowed to play that terrible brand of footy Bellamy promotes to it’s full extent. Coupled with Mikaele’s stint being cut short and then Mats copping a head knock, that left us weaker in the middle, whilst the wrestlers were enjoying the benefit of increased possession.

At that stage, both teams had a fresh player on the bench and as the minutes passed, it became increasingly obvious that WT were tiring, in particular a good until that point Robbie. Fore mine we were left vulnerable to both those tries and particularly the last one when fatigue was front and center.

• @old_man_tiger The best way I can see us becoming a real force in the next couple of seasons is by recruiting well and having constant stability right across the club,not only in the front office and board room but through to the playing group.
    We definitely don’t need the dramas of the previous years such as cap disputes and errors,player arrests,court appearances or sackings…we are in a very stable environment at this point in time and Madge to me is the coach we have needed for a very long time and our playing style and performances are improving every week except the couple of blowout results we have had…
    I was very impressed with the Storm game and only a couple of errors gave them the 2 points where we could have had them…
    all in all this year has been a good honest season with the team playing for 80 most weeks,the coach has done well to have them where they are…
    if they maintain their composure for the next few rounds against the top teams,they could very well beat both Souths and Easts,Madge would have shown them where they went wrong against the chooks and hopefully rectifys the mistakes …
    the team is doing ok and this squad can be a force if they keep defending well and sharpen up the attack,they are learning all the time from Madge and themselves…

Recent Topics