Interesting stat from Storm game

• Our average meters per set was only 36m.

I know the Storm are a solid defensive team but 36m per set is pretty bad.
    It didn’t look that bad watching the game probably because we were shifting the ball a lot and playing down short sides, but we really need to be eating up more meters carrying the ball.

• Be interesting to see what the average was vs the Panthers

• Storm made 41m per set

• I bet the wrestle count was pretty high.

• How does this stat handle incomplete sets. eg if you drop the ball on the first tackle of a set, it would be worth almost nothing. This might drag down the average if counted that way.

• ForumSupporter

Yeah is that from complete sets …cause Papenhuyzen ran 80m after the Storm received the ball 5m out from their line so does that set count as a 95m gain…so there’s the 5m ave difference…

so…jelly bean watermelon monkey

• I also wonder how it works when you get a penalty on the opponent’s tryline. You take a tap at the 10m line and might make 0-5 metres in 5 tackles. Does that count towards the average?

• That;s from all sets, peanalties and incomplete sets can heavily affect the stats.

• Yeah depends on a lot of things

Penalties …where you get the ball …when you kick in the tackle count etc

With Reynolds kicking game this week our average metres will need to be much higher

• @happy_tiger

so will our goal kicking game as well…

• @Juro said in Interesting stat from Storm game:

How does this stat handle incomplete sets. eg if you drop the ball on the first tackle of a set, it would be worth almost nothing. This might drag down the average if counted that way.

I assume because it’s an “average” it works just like every average is worked out.

• This is the biggest problem in our game. Every team makes more metres in a set than us. Even against the Panthers we were winning the match comfortably yet they still made far more metres per set than we did.
    You’d need to remove the outlying data so the knock ons and length of the field tries would need to be excluded. But our backs are small and make fewer metres on average than the backlines of other teams. Jennings is particularly disappointing given his size, but he just can’t break tackles or keep his legs pumping like even Nof can.

The lack of strike and power in both our forwards and backs means we’re forever kicking from inside our half, whereas our rivals routinely have their first tackle 30m off their line and as a result they pin us down our end and we have our first 5-10m off our line.

Until we have more powerful and evasive player’s we’re largely going to rely on arm wrestling opponents and capitalising on their mistakes

• @TIGER If that’s the case, it’s a pretty useless measure. I would prefer the average metres made per play rather than per set. Why should the stat be dragged down because you are given a penalty on the second tackle???

• @WT2K I liked the stat that in the first 9 rounds of the NRL this year, Wests Tigers hadn’t scored a single point in the first 20 mins but in the Panthers game we scored 20 in the first 20.

• Stat A Just Is it Remember Just

Recent Topics