The story behind Wests Tigers Indigenous jersey

• The story behind Wests Tigers Indigenous jersey
    Author
    Caitlyn Grant
    Timestamp
    Wed 22 May 2019, 05:09 PM

Wests Tigers will wear the club’s 2019 Indigenous Jersey this weekend as they take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Saturday as part of the NRL’s Indigenous Round.

Wests Tigers’ 2019 Indigenous Jersey is inspired by the traditional lands on which the club is based upon - lands of the Wangal, Gadigal and Tharawal people. The design uses topographical lines to form patterns that link pathways and meeting places as a way of uniting cultures to strengthen knowledge and understanding.

The impressive artwork was produced by mother and son duo Vicki Golding and Dennis Golding, who have designed the club’s Indigenous jerseys in recent years.

“Last year, we were contacted by Wests Tigers to design another artwork for the jersey along with my son as a collaboration," said Vicki.

“It was a warming experience to work with my son on it as Wests Tigers fans.”

Wests Tigers Indigenous Jersey

Wests Tigers Indigenous Jersey

It was a first for the duo to collaborate on a design with both ensuring they incorporated their unique styles of art while also recognising the local lands and its people through the strong presence of colour.

Vicki and Dennis gave a breakdown of the story behind the design of the jersey.

“Within the middle of the jersey – the circle represents local meeting grounds and camping sites, with the line flowing through the middle to form waterways and river ways to highlight graphical pattering of the lands,” said Dennis.

“The three solid blocks represent the local areas that Wests Tigers practice, play and work at – showing their own pathways.”

“You’ll notice the white linings around the designs are included within all of my artworks," Vicki added. “It’s quite special and personal to me as it shows my spirit showing the team guidance.”

13/13
    For the pair, creating a unique jersey specifically to be represent and be worn during Indigenous Round is a special occasion with the artwork representing the different generational storytelling and passing of cultural knowledge.

“It’s great to see teams jumping on board to create a jersey that incorporates local artists," said Dennis.

"It’s a fantastic opportunity to celebrate culture and history with fellow teams taking a moment to form stories around art and share their voices.”

“It’s great to bring together the indigenous and non-indigenous players together to unite as one, bringing that connection through learning," Vicki added.

• i thought we were all equal, but it appears not, seems we must have a special round, think this just continues the divide among-st the rest of us so call Aussies. happy to see every one get a go in what ever u want to do, but keep donging this just divides us. my view only.

• @bptiger said in The story behind Wests Tigers Indigenous jersey:

i thought we were all equal, but it appears not, seems we must have a special round, think this just continues the divide among-st the rest of us so call Aussies. happy to see every one get a go in what ever u want to do, but keep donging this just divides us. my view only.

Thank God it is only your opinion

Any recognition that helps the plight of some indigenous peoples who still live in basic 3rd world conditions can only be a good thing

• @happy_tiger said in The story behind Wests Tigers Indigenous jersey:

@bptiger said in The story behind Wests Tigers Indigenous jersey:

i thought we were all equal, but it appears not, seems we must have a special round, think this just continues the divide among-st the rest of us so call Aussies. happy to see every one get a go in what ever u want to do, but keep donging this just divides us. my view only.

Thank God it is only your opinion

Any recognition that helps the plight of some indigenous peoples who still live in basic 3rd world conditions can only be a good thing

i think the indigenous round is great, especially for the younger generation who are still learning about our history and the Indigenous people.
    and we get some realyl cool jerseys out of it as well 😄

Booo

When will people realise that recognising something or some group doesn’t mean you are simultaneously not recognising someone else. It’s like talking to my children, who think that complimenting one child is indicting the other.

Also there’s a massive difference between equal under the law and equal privilege. Poor people, for example, can do whatever they want in life, but they don’t have the leg-up that rich people have to start with.

• Prefer the current jerseys over this:
    download.png

• see heres the thing i expressed a view, never criticized anyone was happy for every one to have whatever dreams they have, yet straight away, u get bagged, i really thought we had the right to express ones views or is it only ONE SIDE GETS THAT RIGHT.

• ForumSupporter

but why do we have to play Souff’s who have a steep history of Indigenous players …3 of them currently the form players in the comp…they’ll be desperate for a good performance…

Why couldn’t it be Pommy round or something…oh

• @bptiger

How did I criticize you

see heres the thing i expressed a view, never criticized anyone was happy for every one to have whatever dreams they have, yet straight away, u get bagged, i really thought we had the right to express ones views or is it only ONE SIDE GETS THAT RIGHT.

You 100% have a right to express your views, just like anyone else has a right to say your view is wrong! Equality is overrated and what we should be striving for is equity. You are wrong about everyone being equal!

See that is how it works, you have your right to express your view but I have just as much right to respond to that view and call it outdated.

Recent Topics